Another Year, Same Old Story!

It is panorama time again, and all pan lovers around the world are excited to see what surprises this year’s competition will bring.  Nonetheless, the first rounds of Panorama 2011 have come and gone for many bands except for the East and South Zone Preliminaries without most of us not hearing the sweet sound of pan.

As a true pan lover I don’t just want to hear the medium bands and large bands, I want to hear the brilliant interpretations of arrangers in the single pan and small band categories as well.  With Tobago and the large bands only being adjudicated in their perspective yards, why isn’t the rest of the preliminary round of panorama streaming on the internet.  With current advancements in technology, we should be able to watch or listen to the full progression of this competition from any part of the world.

Panorama coverage is important and Whensteeltalks has done a wonderful job keeping all of us non-travellers up to date with what is going on in Trinidad and Tobago for the Panorama season.  Beyond this, they continue to do the same amount of work for pan shows, competitions and other forms of pan-tertainment on a continuous basis throughout the year.

I am adamant that if Whensteeltalks was given the full rights for Panorama broadcasting, through their tireless efforts we would be listening to every round of the Panorama competition all day and all night through its competitional sequence.  There are outstanding innovative and culturally delicious arrangements that will not be heard by pan disciples as many bands will not make it through their respective rounds.  Nonetheless, their musical significance cannot be forgotten.

Pantrinbago and Whensteeltalks should coordinate this endeavour together and give pan people the opportunity to extend their musical appreciation.  If not, just give Whensteeltalks the mantle as they have been supporting the pan movement throughout the rest of the world for many years.  If it wasn’t for Whensteeltalks, many panists, arrangers, composers, musicians, educators, adjudicators and fans would not have the opportunity to immerse themselves in the culture.  Some people refer to technology and globalization as a negative thing.  But Whensteeltalks through the usage of information technology has brought the pan world together in a way that is unprecedented.  They should be given an opportunity to do what they do best, share pan with the world.  I for one would wholeheartedly support this endeavour.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• R we getting tthe panorama semi.final?

• Agreed!!!  WST go for it!!!
  • Very good Kenneth, I not only endorse and support your points of view, but while I am here in Trinidad I will raise that issue with them......It makes all the sense.

Salah

• I totally agree. WST & Pantrinbago  should have been working on this long before now !!
  • Here we go again...............please move into the 21st Century, PEOPLE IT'S 2011!!
  • As everyone has already said so far on this thread - I think that it's an excellent idea.  I support it totally and I would certainly pay to hear the prelims from East, West, South and North.  However - will it happen????  That's the question for this blog.....will it happen or is it all talk as usual.   I still can't get over the fact that out of 6000 + internet members on WST - only approximately 400 members signed the petition that Salah put forward.  SHAME!!!
  • It is a bloody shame to suffer pan lovers who are away from the live action. Panorama is for many the Celebration of Pan in Trinidad and to keep this away from us is the best way to make sure pan is forgotten as it is said "Out of sight Out of mind".  I do hope that wisdom prevails to allow our glorious pan to be viewed on the Internet everywhere. Whensteeltalks is the perfect avenue for all. So smarten up Pan Trinbago give us a break.  When Pan talks people listen, likewise when people talk Pan Tringo follow suit - LISTEN. 

Kenneth you could not express it better, somebody better listen.

• 100% with you kenneth, but here we go again!!!!
  • Keith Diaz and Pan Trinbago is the reason that we are not getting any pan from the NORTH. I know this for a fact because last week when South had their preliminaries Wack 901fm brought full coverage because the south zone gave wack authority to broadcast live. All the garbage they have said about Pat Arnold's presidency, he was very concerned about Trinis aboard and worked with Wack 901fm to make certain that coverage was a good marketing tool to get more people to visit Trinidad to see the action live which is good foresight. Keith Diaz cannot see further than his big toe, no vision. KP and Wack 901fm will jump at this opportunity to bring these major occassions. Yesterday we all missed the north prelims of small and medium bands.. What a drag.......Mr. Diaz, please wake-up and smell the Roses..................

• Poll: How many of us would pay for a live stream of preliminaries.
    Vote: Yea or Nay

My vote Yea.
This reply was deleted.