Replies

• Dear Pan Times,
    My sister just called and told me about your disagreement with statement. I do not know everything, but one thing I know is the history of Despers USA. We formed in 1975, entered our first Brooklyn panorama in 1977, placing 8th with the late Knolly "Panther" Nicholas' arrangement, a nicer way of saying last. In 1978, Mr. Denzil "Belt" Botus came back in as the arranger, but suggested that we changed from using Despers USA to Metropolitan Steel Ensemble. The older heads was against it, so it was put to a vote and the Denzil's name was accepted. I suggested, why we just abbreviate it to "METRO STEEL" and that is name we started using. We entered the 1978 panorama under Metro Steel with arrangement by Mr. Botus placing 2nd. We tied for 1st with Sonatas in 1982, then won in 1987 and1990 with Mr. Clive Bradley's works. In 1991, the members who joined the band in the 1980's decided to pull away and they formed METRO. In 1991 and 1992 that METRO won. We entered the 1991 panorama under the name of METROPOLITAN STEEL ENSEMBLE. Our arranger was Garvin Blake. Now we went back using Despers USA in 1992 up to date. Metro Steel and Metro are 2 different bands, but METRO STEEL and DESPERS usa is the same entity. You are correct that DESPERS usa only won 7 times under that name, but as I clearly stated the names Despers USA and Metro Steel one in the same. Sonatas has 10 panorama wins, is not SONATAS & PAN SONATAS the same entity.

I suggested to you all many years ago to give Casym/Arddin Herbert credit for wins in 2001 and 2002. We all know that Pantonic won at that other panorama, but there was still panoramas at the Museum those 2 years and Casym won.

Also,the arranger for Satisfiers' panorama win in 1978 is Mr. Trevor King. That name you have as the arranger may be the manager. Thanks very much. Sincerely, Ian Franklin.
    • WST is not aware of anytime in the history of Sonatas and Pan Sonatas that they were ever both simultaneously active and or performing in any Panorama. 

WIADCA has there list of Panorama champions. USSA has their list of Panorama champions and you have yours.

• When Steel Talks validating CASYM’s 2001 and 2002 ‘wins’ would bring seriously damage to the credibility of When Steel Talks, given the historical significance and atmosphere prevailing in New York at that time. In addition, the stated testimonies by two of the three ‘competitors’ themselves, as to why they even participated in those “competitions” essentially discredits those two events.

Simply put, champions must compete against the best challengers available.  A cursory glance at the New York Panorama Results tabulation (  http://www.panonthenet.com/history/NewYorkResults.htm  ) shows that CASYM did not compete against the best challengers available in those two events in 2001 and 2002.

• Congratulations to Despers USA! This victory is long overdue.

Good go Odie, Bumpy, Pedro, Roy and the other "backbone" members.

This is indeed "The Year for Love!"

• That's the way to do it odie we knew it was a matter of time we was overdue being patient thanks for the win despers usa party time tonight

• CONGRATULATIONS TO DESPERS USA ON ITS WIN AT BROOKLYN'S PANORAMA 2018.  THE BAND IS NOW TIED WITH SONATAS FOR THE MOST BROOKLYN VICTORIES WITH 10 EACH..  DESPERS USA WAS ON A 20 YEAR DROUGHT, ITS LAST WIN WAS IN 1998 ENDING A 6 CONSECUTIVE WINNING STREAK WHICH BEGAN IN 1993.

SPECIAL KUDOS TO MY NEPHEW, ODIE FRANKLIN; HIS ARRANGEMENT GOT THENOD ON HIS 7TH COMPETITION.  ALSO, CONGRATS TO CASYM &.KENDALL WILLIAMS, PAN EVOLUTION & ANDRE WHITE AND ADLIB & MARC BROOKS. 

THE 4 TOP PLACED ARRANGERS ARE AMERICANS AND YOU ALL SHOULD KNOW THAT ODIE, KENDALL AND MARC ARE THE ARRANGERS WHO HELPED SKIFFLE TO A 2ND PLACE FINISH AT TRINIDAD & TOBAGO'S PANORAMA IN FEBRUARY THIS YEAR.  D'RADOES, WINNER OF PANORAMA 2014, 2015 & 2016 PLACED 5TH.

LOVE PEACE & PAN.   

• Ian Franklin:

Please check you information on the number of Despers USA Panorama championships.  At last count, there have been SEVEN (7) to date.

This reply was deleted.