Replies

• Maximum congratulations and respect, Mr.Stewart.  You took Renegades (the band with undoubtedly the sweetest pans in the land), and with your perfect blending of harmony and melody; you created MUSICAL NECTAR fit for the Gods.

Thank you.

• Duvone Stewart - The Carnival Is Over

Pan Jazz in De Yard 2007

• Invaders play part of their song "Full Extreme" on the drag before Panorama 2017. Arranged by Arddin Herbert

• CONGRATULATIONS TO DUVONE AND RENEGADES !! 

This was one of the best panoramas musically in recent times, it's good to see the judges leaning back to rewarding arrangers and players alike for good music and execution, it was a very keenly contested final night and the points scored reflected as much. After all is said and done, putting on some theater is great visual but if your music lacks the same flare and creativity it should be useless in a musical competition!!

Hats off to all the bands that made the finals in both large and medium categories for putting on a great night of music and looking forward to greater things next year!

My only gripe remains the playing of old songs hope they do something to fix that !!

• The old songs just do not match up to the new music. I remember Invaders used to play old music for many years but this year, playing a new song, I feel they were better received because of the freshness of the music.....guessing here.....

• "guessing here....."

Miss Gillian: The first observation I made about you was you MODESTY!!! Yuh sure yuh is ah TRINI? And then your TOP and BOTTOM balance, which I am sure I made reference to in an earlier posting. And then the way you write -- I feel that I am reading the posting of somebody in their thirties to forties although you have indicated differently.

And now you are saying: What is this man flattering me for? What does he want from me?

It is NOT FLATTERY!!! It is basic observation after watching hundreds of "PAN LOVERS" come on this PAN FORUM blowing their horn. And if you you BLOW YOUR HORN -- I will end up in RUSSELL PROVIDENCE hearing impaired program.

The only area in which you have ME guessing here ... is how you managed to stick around so long on this forum.

In America (I am an EXPAT after all) they would ask: YUH SLUMMING?

• Mr Gonsalves, For your information, one of my staff members refers to me as “an ageable person” I have been fortunate, since I was a girl, to have taken a deep and abiding interest in Steelband music, calypso, jazz as well as the classics. When people say I don’t know what I’m talking about, that’s cool. I began to contribute to this forum when I was comfortable ignoring the tribalism (of supporters in particular) which plagues the Steelband discourse and which is responsible for the sad state of “Pan” today. I was present at Carnegie Hall in 1988, one proud-as-hell Trini young woman in an audience of some well heeled American sponsors to the NYPops who gave Desperadoes three standing ovations during their rendition of Orpheus in the Underworld. That night I watched my sister Pat also conduct the joint orchestras of The New York Pops and Desperadoes playing the Polovetsian Dances. My dreams for better days for the Steelband have taken a beating but I cannot lose hope. My aim is to totally ignore the nit-picking and silliness. This Carnival, there was new music, increasing numbers of talented young players, green shoots of improvement. The pan is ours. We have a duty to lift it out from under the rubble of negativism and stupidness where is now lies. Congratulations on your forum! Good Luck!

• Miss Gillian: The forum actually belongs to CECIL HINKSON!!! One day I came by and decided that Cecil was working so hard to keep this forum alive -- I decided to help out. But as you can well imagine with my views (your "yuh Brave" line was spot on) the waters were ROUGH. Realistically, tough, as I have said so many times before: Until the day that I am driving down some isolated highway in California (or Florida) and I am fishing for a radio station and I suddenly hear a piece of PAN MUSIC being broadcast on MAINSTREAM AMERICAN RADIO that is composed and played by a TRINI PAN MAN -- nobody cyar tell me nothing about PAN to shut me up.

What shocks me is that with all the talk and the education and the talent we cannot find a way to lift the PAN out from under the rubble of negativism and stupidness where it now lies!!!

My hope is that something will spark on this forum one day and the OLE TALK of CHANGE will turn to ACTIVISM.

• Speaking for myself and probably a large percentage of Trinis, living in another country is more for convenience than love but  I stand corrected. The emotional connection to your country and culture never goes away if it was genuine before leaving but sometimes life takes us on certain journeys to open our eyes to the things we take for granted and others marvel at and cherish!! 

I always make a point of saying god bless our country and our youth because like it or not they will be governing our country one day.

Sorry for getting so heavy my people I know this is a cultural forum .

Great song by Mr Helon Francis, CONGRATULATIONS SIR !!!

• XX Adding my congratulations to Duvone and Renegades on the Forum and giving Claude Gonsalves more work to do....check out the crack shots in the front line....not just tenors like many other bands....seconds and guitars too, allowing the intricacies of the inside work not to be missed.....an audible AND visual display of skills!!

This reply was deleted.