Published: 
Monday, January 22, 2018 TRINIDAD GUARDIAN

Known for its fiery performing speed, this year sees a shift, as captain Candice Andrews and manager Michael Marcano gave way to the band’s arranger, Duvone Stewart’s confidence of slowing-down of things a bit in support of offering to the competition, Year for Love, sung by the 2016-17 and youngest International Soca Monarch Aaron “Voice” St Louis.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/lifestyle/2018-01-22/renegades-gives-voice-year-love

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Pan Elders - Limbo Break 2018 Medium Prelims

• Renegades - Year For Love

• My congrats to Duvone on achieving top spot in both Large and Medium categories.

I have not yet heard the recording of Pan Elders' performance, so I reserve comment.

On Renegades' performance, I however can, for I was there. I witnessed a flawless final night's performance of a brilliant musically descriptive arrangement of Voice's serious message in what has to be the most telling calypso of the season which will rank with classics from Rudder, Stalin, Shadow to name a few.

I have listened to all Renegades' videos and the one audio track and not one comes near to what I heard. Disappointment simply does not cut it; anger does.

To add insult to injury, the judges shortchanged my band. Was this because the band was judged first?

A minimum of 270 would have been justified.

My congrats to Skiffle who was clearly our main competitor.

Sunday coming will certainly be an all out musical war.

• Mr. A.L.Nunes: 

SKIFFLE and PHASE II are your main competitors. And, as you know, it is more than just the PERFORMANCE unless there is a BLOW OUT. I think SKIFFLE has THE BEST MUSIC but they are not going to have the CROWD SUPPORT like ALL STARS or PHASE II (and we cannot forget THE SOUTH THING) ... so I think that PHASE II is going to WIN.

As you said, it is going to be an all out musical war -- separated by a point or two at the PANORAMA FINALS. Two POPULAR SONGS competing fiercely against each other. I would hate to see Duvone lose by ONE POINT ... that would be a heartbreak for a lot of people. But, oddly enough, I think that I know where that point is sitting ....

• You either ignored, refused to,or was incapable of answering my question.

You have a right to your opinion but .....hellooooo...... are you trying to impose it on me?

Wrong number Claude.

• Mr. Al Nunes,

Duvone is an awesome talent. And he dropped a great arrangement - again. However, only two points separate Renegades and Phase II. I don't think he will  be able to get more separation between now and the finals. Boogsie on the other hand is going to turn it up a notch. A song that everyone knows and loves in the hand of the "living legend" is a dangerous thing.  Boogsie could blows thing totally out of reach and give us one of the all-time great panorama creations. Of course there are the three amigos with Skiffle. No disrespect to them, but I don't think they learned the art of closing the deal as yet.

bugs 

• I'm very aware of Boogsie's capabilities; I have listened to him for decades. In fact, I have openly stated that Ph II is the only band with the same arranger to merit a triple which met the standard set by the current holders. He was robbed of this with More Love, Jump High and Happiness.

You stake your bets on experience and his track record and I totally agree.
        I stake my bets on complete confidence in Duvone' and the ability of Renegades to deliver.
        Let's see what happens on Sunday.

• Renegades' "slow" version of "Year for Love" is much quicker than Bradley's "High Mas" was ....Renegades by a mile...for now at least...

• merrytonestothebone: Me and bugs done pick the winner by a mile -- BOOGSIE ... too much superfluity in Duvone music almost to the point of desperation.

•  "too much superfluity in Duvone music almost to the point of desperation."

Can you cite from his arrangement an example or examples of excesiveness?

Did you find that same "overabundance of whatever" with Skiffle, Despers or Supernovas and in particular All Stars?

I'm desperate to know.

This reply was deleted.