by Mary Sincell McEwen A&E Editor

MCHENRY — “Wings of a Dove,” an independent documentary about the steel drum project at Crellin Elementary School, was screened last Friday to about 450 students, parents, teachers, and guests at Garrett 8 Cinemas. The film was created by Mark Stutzman of Mtn. Lake Park, and was a project of Engage Mountain Maryland (of which Stutzman serves as president).
The students of Crellin Elementary were bused to the theatre Friday morning to see the film, which was shown free of charge by EMM, in cooperation with Bill Ingram and Cara Jones of Garrett 8 Cinemas. Persons may now rent or own the film, Stutzman said.
Kevin Martin, an educator with Young Artists/Arts for Learning of Baltimore and the owner of the Rock Creek Steel Drum factory in Ocean City, has visited Crellin several times over the past two years. This year, he collaborated with principal Dana McCauley, music teacher Heather Roth, and the entire school staff and the students’ parents to build 19 steel drums for the school.

The film documents the weeklong “steel drum factory” at the school, when the community came together to bring the project to completion. Many of the participating parents attended the showing on Friday, and together with their children were able to watch their project unfold on the movie screen. Also attending were Robin Summerfield, field representative to U.S. Sen. Ben Cardin.
The film is available for rent or purchase online. Persons should go online to www.engagemmd.org/wings and click on the flying dove. The trailer will then begin to play, and the user will select either rent or purchase. Once the purchase is completed, persons may watch the documentary on a desktop computer, smart TV, or other device. Rentals allow up to 72 hours for viewing.
If any technical issues are encountered, persons may get online support by emailing EngageMountainMaryland@gmail.com.

read more

Flyer for Wings of a Dove premiere!

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I remember reading the original story on WHEN STEEL TALKS. I was really impressed with the PASSION and sense of COMMUNITY. Something about PAN tends to stoke those ENERGETIC OUTBURSTS. Congratulations to them!!!

These are the kinds of initiatives I expect to see from the NEW PAN TRINBAGO EXECUTIVE. I know that is TRINIDAD and the SKIMMING OFF THE TOP will never end in my lifetime, but you could still invest some of the millions in COMPLETED PROJECTS -- ESPECIALLY STEELBAND MUSIC. And film, too!!! But GLOBAL QUALITY STEELBAND MUSIC should be a big part of the equation.

This reply was deleted.