STEELBANDS in TRINIDAD have been conditioned to STRETCH DEY HAND AND BEG. And that is all they would ever do in MY LIFETIME and CECIL LIFETIME and BEDE LIFETIME and GLENROY LIFETIME.

Even though BUGS tell me that he is ah YOUNG "COLOUR TV" LIFETIME FELLAH -- ah putting him on the LIST too.

I wish people on THIS FORUM would start advocating for PRACTICAL THINGS FOR STEELBANDS that could be achieved (and contributed to) during the LIFETIMES of OLD EXPATS.

WHEN STEEL TALKS is a LIVING EXAMPLE. Ain't it a SHAME that it took EXPATS in NEW YORK to do like the DISH and RUN AWAY WITH THE GOLDEN PAN SPOON -- while the whole STEELBAND MOVEMENT IN THE MECCA stays STATIC begging for HANDOUTS.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Allyuh abandon the STEELBAND SHIP and run to foreign (in the SIXTIES). And now that allyuh get old and nostalgia killing allyuh, allyuh want MOTHER EARTH to do a REWIND and take allyuh back to the sixties so that STEELBAND could come BACK ON THE ROAD rolling on the ground  with MAN PUSHING.

Well ask men who stay in Trinidad and did not abandon the STEELBAND SHIP. Ask men like merrytonestothebone and Gerard Clarke and Bertel Gittens and Keith Diaz (sorry, he doh come on the forum) and Oswald Alexander dem felllahs could tell you that DEM DAYS COME AND GONE and NO PAN eh coming back on the road no time. Not on Carnival Monday or Carnival Tuesday.

But on the practical side of the coin, allyuh should write up a PROPOSAL and present it to the CIP to see where they stand on this issue. Once they take control of PAN TRINBAGO, they will have the political power to implement this program. (Gregory Lindsay: I hope you are hearing our cries for PAN ON THE ROAD FOR CARNIVAL!!!)

Personally, I think that FAN BASE is GONE LIKE A SIXTIES CHEVY and the 85% WHITE MAJORITY!!!

• Claude your characterization is wrong, like the young women WST featured on Celebration of Women and the Steelpan Art Form expressed their opinions on advancing the Art-Form, the question remains is anybody listening?

People working together as a team can find workable solutions. This is how CHANGE gets started. 

In the mean-time we keep CRYING for change…

• On a practical side... Leadership training.

Stephen Covey explaining the character ethic and the personality ethic

• Thank you for sharing.

• CH, Mi Amigo and Bede; I don't see Y U guy's are so worried about pan today, what you guy's fail to understand or realise is, that PAN in T&T is over, done with, it has taken a 90% spiral backward turn from whence it came, when something derives from mere beating, and evolve to playing, and then back to beating, what does that tells U? it has completed its cycle, so don't expect anything else to come from the ONLY musical instrument invented in the 20th century in T&T, they do not know what to do with the instrument, or even how to  keep it stablised muchless evolve it any further, 1st they have to stop BEATING IT and start PLAYING IT, because music is suppose to have substance, which is lacking due to the jumping and dancing, steel-pan music is about what comes out of the pan, not how good or high U can jump behind it, that would be a good place to start, then maybe somethings can happen, especially when they stop trying to please the judges, these judges do not and cannot even play the pans, and this bull shit criteria they came up with, where they don't know when and how to implement "Lousa Pausa" or phrasings, they ar the ones who's creating the problems with PAN, when Panorama started in 1963 there were NO judging criteria, everything was evolving, what's happening now with their shitty criteria? this is the Calatorical Consiquences of their BULL SHIT...

• Juanotto Jordano Jordaninho  the bullshit has nothing with the judges, it has to do with the will and management of the steelbands, to be on the road and organize their competitions. They need to bring their pans on the road with sweet music, playing the pan or beating the pan is not a criteria, just sweet jams. Leave the big trucks alone, they are not part of the steel-band, this is an area still difficult for many to comprehend.

• petrick I am in total agreement with everything yuh say. Pan People took themselves outta the game.

The music band people trying to make a come back and they were very successful, watch them expand next year.

ALL PAN PEOPLE IN THE MECCA LEFT WITH IS THEIR BULLSHIT.   Allyuh want to do something for Pan? bring them back on the road. Let all the young people walk on the ground and play like those before them, they never ask for special treatment.

• JJJ,  I hear what yuh saying Bro. it's sad but true, but let us not give up totally. We could still organize ah lil Monday afternoon something to give back the steelband some dignity.

• It is unfortunate that a lot of people still don't understand what the Steelband brings to carnival, it's is my opinion that it is worth standing up for.

• If we can successfully get the DJs ,off the road for JOUVERT and Carnival Monday,,, Steelbands can Bring their own Mas,and make some funds,At least it's a start. It cannot be done with the DJs on the road ,,,,they have. GOT TO GO... HAVE A BLESSED DAY .
This reply was deleted.