Trinidad Express Newspapers

getting ready: Workmen lay out ground cover yesterday, in preparation for Sunday’s annual Panorama semi-finals on The Greens, at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port of Spain, ahead of today’s inspection by Pan Trinbago officialsTrinidad & Tobago, W.I. - Patrons are paying as much as $700 to be a part of the “Pan Splash” posse, which is a new feature added to The Greens for this weekend’s Panorama semi-finals at the Queen’s Park Savannah in Port of Spain.

According to Pan Trinbago vice-president Byron Serrette, “This is an experiment with a ‘pool posse’, the perimeter of the pool will be 70 feet (21 metres) and four feet (1.2 metres) deep. We are just trying new things. All the necessary safety measures are in place, lifeguards, the works.

....Additional attractions include six showers and six changing rooms, and photo-booth streaming live to your social media site, as well as the steelbands on stage streaming live on screens.

The Pan Splash area will have a separate entrance from The Greens entrance, as well as a VIP entrance and exit to The Greens. Only 200 people are allowed in the pool at any given time.

Pan Splash is owned and sponsored by Aqua Fun Park, the Blue Waters group of companies and Jus Juice.
read entire article

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Second Article - Trinidad and Tobago Guardian

Party goes on at the Greens

Despite reports of its success as a financial venture, opinions remain divided on whether the Panorama Party on the Greens for the semifinal of the National Steelband Panorama Competition at the Queen’s Park Savannah in Port-of-Spain is “creative genius at work” or something that has “zero positive value to the main event—Panorama and its performers.”

....Vice president of Pan Trinbago Bryon Serrette is the person with direct responsibility for organising the Greens. Asked to explain the rationale behind the decision, he contended: 

“Just as everything undergoes change, Panorama is also undergoing change...."

STAKEHOLDER VIEWS

The T&T Guardian sought the views from some stakeholders in the Panorama Competition concerning the Greens. Here are their comments.

Communications manager at the Unit Trust Corporation (UTC) Rory Rostant: “We see the Greens as an opportunity for staff engagement and to be part of an event that has become an integral part of the Carnival calendar. Not only do we celebrate our national instrument, but the Greens allows the Unit Trust to showcase our brand in a festive atmosphere. UTC is as much a part of the financial landscape as Panorama is to Carnival.”

Television personality Alvin Daniell has been doing commentary on Panorama for many years. “As far as I know there has never been any negative feedback about the Greens interrupting the broadcast. From a personal point of view, it has never affected my commentary, and I have never heard any other commentator complaining. In my view, Pan Trinbago has many more important issues to deal with than the Greens.”

Founder/manager of popular south steel orchestra NLCB Fonclaire Milton “Wire” Austin: “As a steelbandsman, I see the Greens as a good financial venture for Pan Trinbago, and I hope the organisation does everything to make it better every year. There was some concern about the noise coming from there in the first year. But that was contained successfully in the following year. 

“As a matter of fact, this year the sound system is designed to be cut every time a band begins its performance on stage. I am glad the idea was started. The Greens will always be there, allowing Panorama to provide entertainment for everybody. In any event, it is the steelbands that will benefit financially from the venture.”

READ ENTIRE ARTICLE

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –