Trinidad and Tobago Newsday

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. - Reigning Panorama champion Phase II Pan Groove has agreed to enter mediation with the Port-of-Spain City Corporation as the two battle over the steelband’s Hamilton Street, Woodbrook, home.

The top steelband is defending attempts by the Port-of-Spain City Corporation to evict them from the premises to make way for the completion of the One Woodbrook Place Project, owned by Home Construction Limited.

....Phase II has called Hamilton Street home for more than three decades and they claim the panyard is a piece of history, and they had certain rights because of their possession of the property.

Phase II has resisted the transfer, deeming the Foreshore site out of the way, and a health threat.
read entire article

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So was this for PT HQ, same difference, same disaster! https://whensteeltalks.ning.com/forum/topics/pantrinbago-headquarter...
  • This was built for Phase 11 in 2007 by the Government of Trinidad & Tobago.2904513854?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• How would it grant the masses a benefit when Big Biz would profit and P2PG Pan Yard is a national treasure and cultural heritage site for the assembly of players of the Steelpan national instrument as well as a community gathering place?
  • Phase 2 should be granted some type of blye. I agree with Progress that would benefit the Masses, but we can make Phase 2 an exception to the rule. The City Council should designate this Spot to the Band & and Grant them Land mark Status.
  • Why not refurbish the Village, let it be part of One Woodbrook Place, a sort of resident band, an all year round attraction. A pan-school can also be included. Stop fighting down the steelband, this is the 21st century. I advise the Corporation to do some research on the manner in which numerous foreign countries treat the instrument, with honour and 'much respect'. We in Trinidad are simply playing smart with foolishness, it's time to wake up and hear the music or better yet, LISTEN!

• Good post OSWALD

• Pase II, must plan for the future,the present location does not permit,expansion for other business opportunities for Phase II.

The entrance and space of Phase II, with vendors, presents   significant safety challenges.One may grow up in a one bedroom home, however the reality of family growth, and the future opportunities, compels a look to the future, when the physical space poses a ceiling for taking risk opportunities, geared to growing what is a business enterprise.

This is not about emotional attachment.

• Can't argue with that sentiment.

• Pre-eminent domain of Big Business lobbyist should not trump a National Cultural Heritage Site, especially when it is not necessary. Stick to your claims PhaseII, possession counts for nine-tenths of the law. I have faith that the spirit of natural justice will prevail and it will all work out for the Pan Yard many call home away from home...
  • This is surely a case of power and greed, Phase 2 occupy a very small portion of this land, but these big money people got to have it all, they want to destroy "the Village" and replace it with condos for the affluent.

These people have no conscience, all they see is money, they don't care about culture. 

The steelband has always been the heart beat of the community  if removed there is am extreme sense of loss.

To all the stake holders of the Port of Spain City Corporation you will sleep better at nights if you allow Phase 2 to remain in their home.  There is something said about "gain the world and loose yuh soul"

This reply was deleted.