As an EXPAT, how would you approach this objective? What would YOU pick? Marketing Players? Marketing Instruments? Marketing THE MUSIC? Anybody who has ever read this FORUM knows which PRODUCT I would choose to market.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Only Claude mentions my contribution to this thread. Everybody else off on extraneous gripes. I have been involved with many groups in the U.S., mostly left-wing political. My observation: the smaller and less significant the group, the more bitter the internal squabbles. Does that apply here?

• Tough choices when there is a mentality that needs tweaking.
  • Making music is what they should be doing with all that electronic stuff.

• My choice is marketing the MUSIC. Marketing the instrument is the instrument alone. Marketing the  players is players only. But when you market the MUSIC you are also marketing the instruments and players, When you market MUSIC the players and instruments comes together. I am looking forward to the BIG 5 making a great  professional MUSIC PAN CD that will be accepted all aver the world.

• Earl Richards: Yuh using up all meh lines, man. Yuh saying everything I thinking and now ah have to go and rethink to come up with some new IDEAS.  But ah have ah question for you!!! Do you think that people who never live in foreign could make music for FOREIGN? I think that YOU and ME should be in charge of PRODUCING that PAN CD. Ah know some real good AFRICAN AMERICAN MUSIC PRODUCERS and once we explain to them what we want they could DELIVER first rate International Music!!!

Yuh doh need no LIVE PAN no more yuh know. With INDIGISOUNDS we could really change the whole game!!!

• Better a DVD, IMO. For a DVD, or a presentation at a U.S. music festival, I have a few suggestions:
        1. Have a camera or cameras, and a mic, at _each_ section of the orchestra, with a console (I think that's what they're called) controlling all. The recording people would _rehearse_with_the_band_ until they can anticipate changes in the music and focus accordingly. During one iteration of the music, they could educate the audience about the way a steelband is set up, perhaps using a few subtitles.
        2. They would concentrate on the players and the instruments, and of course the music, always.
        3. Players would wear very simple uniforms, say dark-colored pants (and skirts?) and a band tee. Or even just their street clothes. No headdresses. No "themes". The diversity of the players -- age, sex, skin tone, hair do's -- is part of the charm, and should not be concealed.
        4. For (at least) one iteration, perhaps at the beginning of the piece and again at the finale, the cameras would pull back to show the incredible overall structure of a steelband, ideally from different angles and/or from all sides.
        5. Please: No clowns, no dancing girls waving banners, simple signage, no "effects". This is about the music, the players, and the instruments. That's what thrills me, anyway.
        6. Full disclosure: my favorite steelband video is The Silver Stars, "on the drag", rehearsing for Panorama 2013 Semis, playing "Shock Attack". On Youtube.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lTQR-KZBkw
        7. All this is to introduce steel to the world and esp. the U.S. market. So play calypso, not classical, for now.

• So much that COULD BE DONE; So little BEING DONE.

I like your last sentence, particularly ... but that is a whole long discussion.

• Black Stalin - One Tune Pan Man

• Mi Amigo; that's called PLAGIARISM, most Trinies love to do that, when they should Quote you instead, it seems as though that we have a lot of Copeland on this forum man,,,

• JJJ, your fixation on Mr. Copeland tends to minimize your contributions sometimes.
This reply was deleted.