I have never been to an AA meeting but I understand that the FIRST STEP is to admit that you HAVE A PROBLEM (powerless over alcohol and that your life has become unmanageable). So it is time for EXPATS on THIS FORUM to admit that they are POWERLESS OVER PAN TRINBAGO and that organization will continue to be CORRUPT and UNMANAGEABLE for DECADES to come.

New Visionaries, Concerned Individuals For Pan, BIG 5, Colin Lucas, Doctor Dolly, Best of the HUMAN CAPITAL in the FRATERNITY -- makes NO DIFFERENCE.

Look!!! Guyana went to THE COMMONWEALTH to get MANAGEMENT HELP to ensure that the petroleum industry contributes to sustainable economic and social development for the country. The first phase of the petroleum production is  NOT DUE to begin until 2020 with an estimated 450 million barrels. But The Commonwealth has been working with Guyana's Ministries of Natural Resources and Finance to effectively manage this resource -- way in advance.

I will continue to believe that there are plenty of resources OUTSIDE THE CIRCLE OF PAN down in Trinidad that could be TAPPED to bring about almost IMMEDIATE PROGRESS and not too distant success in bringing about SELF-SUFFICIENCY and GLOBAL RECOGNITION for PAN and PAN TRINBAGO and PAN PLAYERS.

But THE ORGANIZATION and its membership are just WAY TOO PROUD to make that ADMISSION!!!

I will continue to believe that in both CALYPSO/SOCA MUSIC and PAN we have the ingredients for GLOBAL MUSIC. And I will continue to believe that both the CALYPSO/SOCA community and the STEELBAND community lack the ADMINISTRATIVE SKILLS (and GLOBAL VISION) to deliver the PRODUCT.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Claude
    Please re-read this line

"Concerned Individuals for Pan has a document which PROPOSES 68 suggestions on improving the system which Pan Trinbago operates under."

And this one
    "We would like your input. Be sure to make suggestions and offer constructive criticisms."

And
    "Suggestion to improve the document would be accepted, deliberated and possibly incorporated."

Your observation may have merit, and I am sure those would would be considered again.

About....
    "And yuh better bring dem "former Ex-Pats" from the CIP TEAM on THIS FORUM for some VETTING. Ah doubt anyone ah dem could make it through an INTERVIEW with ME when it comes to GLOBAL PLANNING for the INSTRUMENT and RECORDING GLOBAL PAN MUSIC and building GLOBAL NETWORKS and GENERATING CASHFLOW from FOREIGN back down to the islands and interacting with FOREIGN GOVERNMENTS to WIDELY GLOBALIZE THE MUSIC."

I don't know if anyone who has a useful contribution to make,would want to be subjected to validation,by any forumite.....they may even ask me why doesn't the volunteering validators,do some of the actual work?......what should I answer?
    • Oswald: I don't think you could present ONE person to me who even understands THE CHALLENGE! And we eh talking about IMPLEMENTATION as yet!

So the INTERVIEW TING is just my usual OLE TALK!!!

• Attention Kelvin Scoon

https://whensteeltalks.ning.com/forum/topics/the-constitution-of-pan...

I would ask Aquil to post the entire document again.

Thanks for your great suggestions,this is the type of interaction that's helpful. I would discuss with the other advocates and let you know.
  • Pan progress will never happen within anyone's lifetime in TT. The first issue pan people should address is crime, seems like everyone is OK with it. The focus for new pan regime takeover look to be 'eating ah food' like Diaz.

• Okay, Patrick!!! Yuh bait me enough with the crime thing!!! So ah going and bite!!!

Until the AFRO-TRINIDADIANS wake up and TAKE A STAND AGAINST CRIME IN T&T -- crime will continue to SPIRAL OUT OF CONTROL in TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO. And for political reasons they cannot take that step.

So CORRUPTION IN PAN TRINBAGO and CRIME IN TRINIDAD will continue to WALK HAND IN HAND wreaking havoc in the LAND.

Look the bacchanal yuh come and get me in this morning while I am relaxing at seven o' clock watching meh WORLD CUP!!!

Which reminds me: Doh care what they say/we know we could play [SOCCER and PAN]/so next time we will be going ALL THE WAY!!!

• I maintain that the root of the problem lies in Act No?? I think of 1986, which denies the people who are active in PAN the right to choose the organisation and the persons who best represent their interests at any particular time.  No government should have this right and power.
    Moreover, the Act arbitrarily confers on a single organisation, that was selected by the government, represented by parliament,  to be the body to FOREVER govern, control and receive all state benefits that would go to the entire Movement, whether or not it continues to have the support of the majority. The result is a continuing bickering over the sharing of state benefits and unnecessary internal power struggles.

If this privilege had been granted to the original National Steel Band Association, PANTRINBAGO would never have been formed in the 1970s when that founding association had lost the confidence of the majority of steelband people. 

• Kelvin, you have recognized the biggest obstacle to anyone in PT trying to change the status quo.Please read following.

Concerned Individuals for Pan has a document which proposes 68 suggestions on improving the system which Pan Trinbago operates under. These suggestions are categorised by topic such as STRUCTURE, POLICIES, BUSINESS, INTRENATIONAL TRADE, EDUCATION, PANYARD DEVELOPMENT and EVENTS. We would like your input. Be sure to make suggestions and offer constructive criticisms.

This is an extract of the document.

Structure of Organization:-

a. Separation of responsibilities. Executives must not hold administrative positions. E.g.

No more President /C.E.O.

No more Secretary / Office Manager etc.

No more Vice President / Events Manager etc.

b. Administrative arm (C.E.O, Officer Manager, Events Manager etc.) must have qualifications /experience and will be on short-term contracts. These contracts would only be renewed on a result-based assessment.

c. The executive would act only as the Board of Directors, charting the way forward with futuristic planning. The execution of these plans would be the responsibility of the C.E.O. and his team.

d. A team willing to volunteer their expertise/advice to the executive would be created. E.g. (business men, lawyers, economists, educators, politicians etc.)

e. Constitutional reform.

f. Recognize the pan players and represent their needs as an item in the constitution or by-laws.

Policies on Accountability, Transparency and Efficiency: -

f. Maximize efficiency throughout departments.

E.g. Departments must be created, equipped, staffed and have an annual budgetary allocation. E.g. Public Relations department, External Relations department, Education department etc. This system would ensure that elected officers have all the support needed to accomplish their objectives, does not exceed Pan Trinbago’s budget and it would be easier to assess the elected officers’ performance or lack thereof.

g. Maximize efficiency through communication e.g. using electronic media to get information to bands in a timely manner.

h. Efficient Secretariat.

i. Minutes, agenda and financial reports circulated one week before meeting.

j. Minutes and Financial Reports should also be circulated to Zonal Chairman.

k. Correspondence must be promptly addressed and feedback provided to sender at meetings.

l. President must have a recommended ceiling figure he may approve for payment. Any amount above this must be approved by the board.

m. Salaries, stipends, bonuses and honorariums must be approved by the board and they must inform the membership of these figures prior to payment.

n. All contracts should be approved by the board and any contract which is signed without a board decision will not be binding. Members must be informed of the contractual arrangements and the figures of the contract prior to execution.

o. Mechanisms must be put in place to measure individuals’ performances both in the executive and administrative departments of the organization.

p. Written commitment from Government sponsored shows or competitions prior to hosting.

q. There must be a maximum financial cut off on items purchased for the organization by the President/Treasurer/C.E.O. Items above this range must go to the Executive for approval. E.g. A minimum of three quotes from various suppliers must be supplied, prior to discussion/consideration or approval.

r. Constringent policies for rental of commodities/vehicles on behalf of the organization e.g. Approval by the board of any item to be rented must be given prior.

s. Member bands must be awarded first preference on contracts within the organization, as opposed to external organisations. e.g. Millions of dollars in contracts on the Greens by none entity of the Steel band movement.

t. Selection of Bands for tours e.g.

To create a list of bands on our website for selection for International tours. All bands listed would be eligible and selection would be based on availability and succession i.e. bands would each have a turn at selection. The bands would know when it is time to get themselves prepared. This process would alleviate biasness and would not allow executive members to have their bands alone selected for tours.

u. Selection of bands for Pan Trinbago shows during the year e.g.

Creating a list of bands on our website for Pan Trinbago shows during the year. All bands listed would be eligible and selection would be based on availability and succession i.e. bands would each have a turn at selection. The bands would know when is time to get them selves prepared. This process would alleviate biasness and would not allow executive members to have their bands alone selected for these gigs.

v. Selection of judges for International duties e.g.

Create a list of viable judges on our website for selection for International duties. All judges listed would be eligible and selection would be based on availability and succession i.e. This would alleviate biasness and would not make it seem that the President and certain members of the Executive giving the judges a favour. A favour which then makes the judges compelled to give these executive members bands high points in Panorama in order to be selected for international duties again.

Document of Concerned Individuals for Pan

Suggestion to improve the document would be accepted, deliberated and possibly incorporated.

Be apart of the solution not the problem.

Correction on the A to Z solution document.

Administrative staff changed to administrative arm and will now read as:-

b. Administrative arm (C.E.O, Officer Manager, Events Manager etc.) must have qualifications /experience and will be on short-term contracts. These contracts would only be renewed on a result-based assessment.

Within the CIP advocates there are former Ex-Pats,and know that there are benefits to be derived from engaging the diaspora,and anyone else willing and able, to produce the positive changes needed.

• f. Maximize efficiency throughout departments.

E.g. Departments must be created, equipped, staffed and have an annual budgetary allocation. E.g. Public Relations department, External Relations department, Education department etc. This system would ensure that elected officers have all the support needed to accomplish their objectives, does not exceed Pan Trinbago’s budget and it would be easier to assess the elected officers’ performance or lack thereof.

Oswald: How much departments allyuh want to establish? Allyuh forming ah new GOVERNMENT or what? Sounds like you are creating a Bureaucratic Boondoggle!!!

And yuh better bring dem "former Ex-Pats" from the CIP TEAM on THIS FORUM for some VETTING. Ah doubt anyone ah dem could make it through an INTERVIEW with ME when it comes to GLOBAL PLANNING for the INSTRUMENT and RECORDING GLOBAL PAN MUSIC and building GLOBAL NETWORKS and GENERATING CASHFLOW from FOREIGN back down to the islands and interacting with FOREIGN GOVERNMENTS to WIDELY GLOBALIZE THE MUSIC.

Ah have ah lot of respect for  Kelvin Scoon!!! I could feel his LOVE and PASSION for THE INSTRUMENT jumping off the COMPUTER SCREEN whenever I read his POSTINGS. So allyuh should find a PROMINENT place for him on the CIP BOARD OF ADVISORS!!!

• Thanks Oswald, There are a number of very useful suggestions in this document. It is one possible place to start the search for solutions.
        Can you arrange for the entire document to be made available online?
        Can we start a series of conversations online and offline, based on the points raised?

But I would also like to suggest a parallel set of conversations on a review of the Pantrinbago constitution, starting with the basics of representation and purpose of the organisation.

I suggest that the best place for these conversations to start is in the panyards, open to the rank and file, and we convince When Steel Talks to make the conversations avaiable online.
        Start the conversations by making the entire constitution available online, and available for comment and suggestions.

• Everybody should go back and read the story of TASPO and the FESTIVAL OF BRITAIN in 1951. And take a look at the PEOPLE (Politician Albert Gomes, Cleric, Canon Max Farquar and News Editor Sydney Espinet) who led the charge to get the MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

Antigua was invited "to represent the STEELBAND" and when those "culture lovers" listed above realized that the PAN COMMUNITY lacked the awareness and skills to STEP UP and let the world know who INVENTED THE INSTRUMENT -- they jumped to the rescue of our NATIONAL HONOUR and saved the day for TRINIDAD PAN. At the same time taking the instrument to the WORLD for the very first time. Although a PAN SIDE had traveled to GUYANA before that. (And speaking of Guyana, Doctor Dolly should contact me because I have a clear vision of where GUYANA is headed and how TRINIDAD PAN MEN could greatly benefit from GUYANA'S fortune -- ah just break meh trend of thought pleading with THE DOLLY.)

Well, I see NO CHANGE in the PAN MAN ATMOSPHERE from then to now. So unless THE PAN WORLD is willing to accept the assistance of TALENTED CULTURE LOVERS outside of the PAN FRATERNITY (like they did in 1951) -- it will be NOTHING BUT FUTILITY for another 20 years.

Although I believe that eventually a small group of people from the BROADER PAN FRATERNITY might form a small group one day and JUMP START the process. At the same time, if they do not reach out to INFORMED EXPATS (like bugs and Bob Diaz and the Boston Carnival Fellah -- Michael Smith -- and WHEN STEEL TALKS) to assist them in THE EFFORT -- they too WILL FAIL.

Because THIS PAN TING is a GLOBAL TING now and it requires GLOBAL VISION!!!

This reply was deleted.