When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Views: 747

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sokah | Naila Blackman | Trinidad & Tobago 2018

Sokah is back, if only in name however the impact of the music initially created and named by Lord Shorty is the musical beast that drives all Caribbean style carnivals across the World.

Today we feature a song entitled "Sokah" by the grand daughter of Lord Shorty (Ras Shorty I) that brings the originality of the creation back into the music conversation.

Just to be clear the original idea of the 'dougla rhythm' was to create a new vibe out of calypso to add life to carnival music. It is a musical monster today loved in the Caribbean basin and the rest of the World where West Indian style carnivals are a yearly celebration!

Naila's goal is to keep keep the music alive, keep the concept of Sokah going and ensure that people today are aware that Soca was the creative genius of Ras Shorty I from its inception. Of course the music has changed and many have had creative input into the music but Shorty started it all and deserves to be credited as such. The  early Sokah (with Indian instruments) went on to create the  music we know as Chutney Soca. The removal of the Indian instruments and use of traditional instruments gave us the musical foundation that we know as Soca today.

We can go on talking about Shorty and Sokah/Soca for some time but today we are here to feature a new song form Naila Blackman. This is Sokah, new music for Trinidad and Tobago Carnival 2018. If you want to read more about Soca then please access the information provided via our menu above.

This song would have been better served with a  more authentic 'Soca sound' taking into consideration that the name of the song takes on the original spelling, 'Sokah'. This feels more like a song about the steel pan than one about 'Sokah'. The music also features Len 'Boogsie' Sharpe and Mungal Patasar.

We encourage you to support the artist and the production team. We want you to spread the word about the song and share this post with your peers.

Please keep in mind that the success of this song depends on your support. Spread the word, tell your friends about the song! Now it is up to you to ensure that this song rides the airwaves. Please call into your favorite radio jocks and request the song. We invite you to share your thoughts about the song and music production.

Use the comment feature of this post to share your thoughts about the song here with your peers. All comments will be posted,  Please don't forget to visit us on our new 'Facebook Fan Page'. Use the search term @sokah2soca. Enjoy!
Production Notes/Music Credits:
Song Title: Sokah
Performed by: Nailah Blackman ft Len "Boogsie" Sharpe and Mungal Patasar
Produced by: Anson “Pro” Soverall
Written by: Nailah Blackman & Anson Soverall
Mix and Mastered by: Anthony Lowhar

Video Directed by: Maya Cozier
Camera Director: Stefan Garraway
Edited by: Sir Ian Davis & Lot Entertainment
Camera by: Renaldo Roberts

Hair by: Sade Baptiste
Makeup by: Kai Forde and Cassie Power
Styled by: Jamila Alexander
Fabrics by: Zeitgeist Pro
Clothing by: Linkage
Please be advised that the music is presented here for your listening pleasure and for promotional purposes only ("Fair Use" Musical Content Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976). No copyright infringement is intended! We encourage you to promote the artists and their music; please don't share the music and rob the artists of needed income!

Did not see where it said that this is Phase ll  2018 panorama tune, as far as I see Boogsie only played in the song.

TRUE!!! Well yuh have all dem contacts down in TRINIDAD, call up and find out what PHASE II playing nah. If that is not the SONG then I hope he releases the SONG soon. By the time CHRISTMAS done, CARNIVAL and PANORAMA about to start!

Boogsie produce his own music.

If Nailah gets a GOOD PRODUCER and a few good SONGWRITERS she could take the SOCA places. She has the VOICE and the performance skills and the SUPERSTAR looks.

From reliable and most shocking info, it says that Boogsie is going to Panorama with this Sokah. No own tune for 2018. It so, well look out for something crazy, from D Madman. It is a challenging piece.

Thanks for the up-date Oswald, it is indeed ah challenging piece but will add the the excitement in 2018, with Rudy back in the mix any number could play.

Cecil: As you know, most of the songs that they are putting out now are GARBAGE. But I ended up listening to this song about 5 times yesterday -- and usually I don't give more than 5 seconds to 99 percent  of the current music. The new thing is a heavy R&B slant to the songs -- but nobody could sing!!!

Nailah is the PROUD EXCEPTION!!! And listening to the song and hearing the inherent difficulty of reproducing it on PANS -- I still was able to conjure a PATHWAY for a GREAT PAN ARRANGEMENT.

If this is the song that BOOGSIE is going to do (a HIT or MISS song) then he is either going to BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION or RUN DOWN THE BACK OF THE PACK. And if this is the song he is going to do then he would have crossed ONE BIG BRIDGE in that he will be playing a VERY POPULAR SONG that everybody knows WAY IN ADVANCE.

That Santiwah guy who wrote the article above made a good critique when he said that the composition would have been better served with a more authentic 'Soca sound' taking into consideration that the name of the song takes on the original spelling, 'Sokah'.(And that title is another story that I will not get into here.)

I will continue to believe that when you go THAT FAR with the CROSSOVER you have to WRITE LYRICS with a more GLOBAL APPEAL to give yourself a chance to hit the JACKPOT (in for a PENNY in for a POUND). But they always choose to stay EXTREMELY LOCAL with the lyrics to WIN THE CLOSEST MARKET. Which is a kind of a contradiction.

On the other hand, I like the HOOK in a song be to USED to the POINT OF BRAINWASHING -- and this song does a good job of doing that. Although I would have preferred to hear some sort of ACTIVE VERB driving the HOOK LINE ... or the HOOK WORD in this case!!!

I don't know, the most recent string of "Caribbean sounding" pop hits haven't been heavy on lyrical content (Bieber-Rihanna-Drake). It's about the sound. Bunji scored a modest hit with Differentology because that "we ready, we ready" hook was very dancefloor-friendly. But the lyrics were quite carnival-specific.

I like the song, and Boogsie will produce a excellent arrangement, but I'm a little concern as to why he  chose NOT to compose his own music. This is history in the making for Phase ll the first time in panorama with a tune that Boogsie did not compose.

The majority of bands went soca last year and those who didn't, suffered when results called, particularly those that did their own song. Sometimes you have to follow the trend, much as other arrangers did when Boogsie and Robbie were winning playing their own compositions. Today pan songs are largely irrelevant no matter how good they may be. They don't resonate outside of the small pan community. So don't be concerned, be excited that Phase II might play a song that "the people" know. 

Anyway, it's not the first time in history for Phase II to play non-Boogsie music, remember they played Ray Holman's music for two years. And Boogsie did Woman on the Bass at ICP, if you want to count that.

Noah are you saying the judges now prefer popular tunes?

bugs

RSS

© 2017   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service