Replies

• This is the SONG that I consider to be the FIRST SOCA SONG ... all things considered!!!

• This might technically be a "new trend", but it's really a recycle of an old practice.

Steelbands ALWAYS used to play popular tunes for Panorama back in the day.  I won't bother to go into the number of steelbands that played the road march winning selection as their panorama piece....especially in the 60's and 70's.  Can't get much more popular than the road march.

Ray Holman veered away that practice with this Pan on the Move in 1972.  He was the first arranger to get a major panorama band to play an "own tune".  He and Starlift literally get fight down for that.  As in many other revolutionary actions, own tune...which evolved to "pan tune" became the norm.  Now what is old is new again.  We back to panorama bands playing popular tunes.  

Is the cycle of life on display in every sphere.

• We all agree that panorama is not about good music, an arranger could go with Mary had a little lamb and win with an exciting arrangement, All Stars always win because of excitement, spectator response is what the judges look for. Boogsie became like Ray and Andy. Zanda also have the correct mix.

• Nobody said it isn't about good music. But at this point you've won half the battle if you play something people know. So playing a good arrangement of music that's popular is the best formula--playing for both the grand stand and the north stand if you will.

• From reliable and most shocking info, it says that Boogsie is going to Panorama with this Sokah. No own tune for 2018. It so, well look out for something crazy, from D Madman. It is a challenging piece.

• Thanks for the up-date Oswald, it is indeed ah challenging piece but will add the the excitement in 2018, with Rudy back in the mix any number could play.

• Cecil: As you know, most of the songs that they are putting out now are GARBAGE. But I ended up listening to this song about 5 times yesterday -- and usually I don't give more than 5 seconds to 99 percent  of the current music. The new thing is a heavy R&B slant to the songs -- but nobody could sing!!!

Nailah is the PROUD EXCEPTION!!! And listening to the song and hearing the inherent difficulty of reproducing it on PANS -- I still was able to conjure a PATHWAY for a GREAT PAN ARRANGEMENT.

If this is the song that BOOGSIE is going to do (a HIT or MISS song) then he is either going to BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION or RUN DOWN THE BACK OF THE PACK. And if this is the song he is going to do then he would have crossed ONE BIG BRIDGE in that he will be playing a VERY POPULAR SONG that everybody knows WAY IN ADVANCE.

That Santiwah guy who wrote the article above made a good critique when he said that the composition would have been better served with a more authentic 'Soca sound' taking into consideration that the name of the song takes on the original spelling, 'Sokah'.(And that title is another story that I will not get into here.)

I will continue to believe that when you go THAT FAR with the CROSSOVER you have to WRITE LYRICS with a more GLOBAL APPEAL to give yourself a chance to hit the JACKPOT (in for a PENNY in for a POUND). But they always choose to stay EXTREMELY LOCAL with the lyrics to WIN THE CLOSEST MARKET. Which is a kind of a contradiction.

On the other hand, I like the HOOK in a song be to USED to the POINT OF BRAINWASHING -- and this song does a good job of doing that. Although I would have preferred to hear some sort of ACTIVE VERB driving the HOOK LINE ... or the HOOK WORD in this case!!!

• while reading your contribution, before reaching even half way, my mind just went on the hook and there at the end I collided with your thoughts, the hook is contagious, after hearing it 3 times I started to hum over and over long after. Let's wait.

• I like the song, and Boogsie will produce a excellent arrangement, but I'm a little concern as to why he  chose NOT to compose his own music. This is history in the making for Phase ll the first time in panorama with a tune that Boogsie did not compose.

• Cecil, in the early days, Boogsie did "Mas in May" a Sparrow tune that they went panorama with. So this is not the first for Phase. I see Oswald did the correction already.

This reply was deleted.