When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

So why did the judges reject Boogsie Sharpe and Phase II Twice

The mighty Phase II is a card-carrying member of the Big 5. Rarely do members of the esteemed group get a "hell no" from the judges. This year the Phase II got it in both the semi finals and finals. Why? Could it be that Boogsie's music simply went over the head of the judges? Or this was not a year for unknown original Pan tunes? Or the judges were right, it wasn't happening this year?

Views: 3331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gerard "Invader"Brown. Phase ll "get with the program" who program? so you want Sharpe to follow other people, that's a big lol. I am happy for your band also and will certainly like to see them win. Don't worry about Sharpe music he'll probably win again before your band.

Do I look like I'm in any way, shape, or form "worried about Sharpe?" I was of the opinion we are all pan enthusiasts expressing our views but apparently it's a little more for some folks. Fact still remains Phase II was poor this year and that's in the history books. But I am sticking to my point that the "pan tune" as we know it doesn't exist anymore and hence why most of the "BIG" bands as we call them are playing regular tunes......it is backward thinking to say that bands should only play pan tunes simply because pan has NO LIMITS and ANY TUNE IS A PAN TUNE!!.....Oh and by the way, yes Boogsie can win again before my band does,but I absolutely promise you it won't be with an (unknown) own composition........And on that note padna....I done!

Gerard "Invader" Brown, you want to tell a composer  his music outdated play another composers music, yuh right, talk done.

Gerard "Invader" Brown doh done nah man!!! We need "OPPOSING VIEWS" on this FORUM. We need more posters!!!

Ah wish everybody on this forum could have had a REAL NICE LONG DISCUSSION on that "OWN TUNE" issue. Because I am a CALYPSO LOVER above all else. And this "ANY TUNE IS A PAN TUNE" argument is one of the most intriguing and controversial discussions.

ALVIN DANIEL was deep into the discussion on Saturday Night but too much PAN was playing for him to expand on his argument.

It's not so much as putting the music out earlier but also getting it played. I don't think I ever heard the song on the radio even though it was out in December and the production of it was not good enough to get sufficient airplay.

A popular tune will always place higher because of the audience response, but if you listen to the audience response after the Phase performed, you will have to wonder what the judges were listening to.

The only way is to have people judge the music without ever having heard the original tunes before.

I heard complaints from Boogsie in a radio interview last night after Phase 2 played about lack of airplay for his song. Interviewer brushed that aside. You have all year to write your song. Release it December 1. But then they changed their entire arrangement. Phase 2 knew in their hearts they could not win this year.

Brian: Thanks for adding that report on the radio interview with Boogsie!!!

You're welcome.

Sharpe needs to make a clear distinction between the music and the performance. IMO many of our fifteen second places boiled down to less-than-perfect performances, not poor music. Because of Sharpe's prolific ability, I think his knee-jerk reaction is to revise his music, rather than to ensure that the players are performing the music correctly. Having spent about 9 panoramas there, I can tell you THAT is the source of our difficulties, not Sharpe. Personally, I believe I heard a little rough spot in the semis that may have led to the placement, he should have cleaned that up, brightened up a few parts and let people improve performance. Instead, he re-wrote the whole damned thing. Again, that is one of the worst things for a player, you have just scrapped about 40 days of practice and given me about 5 days to bring my performance level up to that of an All Stars, Despers, Renegades or Exodus. It caught up with them this year. I do not think (from just that one hearing mind you) that the new version was an improvement and it definitely puts the players at a disadvantage. I understand there was an issue with late-breaking music last year as well. Sharpe has to get out of that bad habit. Gone are the days when he had a crackshot behind every pan, we need time to internalise the music and perform it at the level of other bands who may be striking one note 10 times where we strike 10 notes once... Catch the drift? So I don't see this as rejection, it is a strategy that failed this year. I will have to listen to the new version to see whether I can fall in love with it, I can end up with two beautiful pieces of music for my listening pleasure.
All that said, I was quite impressed by the musical offerings of all the finalists. It was one of the highest quality finals I can recall, despite my disdain for "Good Morning" as a test piece. Now I want to see how much money NCC collected at the gate. That is the major point of interest for me since I was a proponent of the "Strike!!!" squad

Sharpe needs to groom someone. We could only hope.

From my observation, that is a tough ask. How does a man who strikes the side of a pan and hears an entire section, perfectly orchestrated, communicate that to an apprentice? The apprentice has to have similar skills. Most of the persons who learn from Sharpe have to learn by observation because he cannot sit you down and say put this note here and that one there to get this sound. The best I think we can ask for is for him to stay alive and keep producing to the best of his ability.

Keith, You're right about that!

-Big Sid

RSS

© 2017   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Site Meter