When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The bomb tunes of the 60s was one of the high points of the Steelband thus far, we have moved so far from that it's hard to visualize that there was such a period.

What have we done to the steelband in the name of progress.

Glenroy, odw, Val please take us back with some of the bomb tunes from this period on this snow filled Tuesday, lets show young people where the steelband went back in the day.

Views: 5459

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

'Penny Lane'' Starlift

Hello Cecil H...What an interesting and exciting topic. Sweet music bringing back memories. Thanks to all the contributors.

Hi Jackie, every time we hit a dead end we have to look back.

Hi Rita Seethaler, a good start could be La Traviata with Pavarotti and the three tenors.It's on you tube as The Three Tenors Brindisi (La Traviata) 1994. Post when finished :-)

Cecil, what it says is that we have a lot of musically creative minds out there in the pan world. Mr. Khan, Penny Lane was mentioned in one of the post you did not read. :-)

"Alleluia Chorus" : Amen.  Nuff said!

What a valuable topic. This simple old panman who played under junior for many years both on the stage side and on the road thanks all for this piece especially for adding to the genius that we know as Junior Pouchet and his now iconic Silver Stars.

IN YOUR OPINION WHICH ONE OF THESE BOMB TUNES WOULD YOU SAY WAS THE BEST?

Iwould say Flight on the bumble bee,  by despers,

because it was the most difficult, 

Too many "bests" to mention. I do remember running from my band on jouvert morning to hear other bombs,up the road,round the corner.
But one of my most memorable steelband moments is not really a bomb memory. In Baltimore,md. At a TNT festival a full Invaders side in a tribute to their "papi", their words, playing "with a song in my heart"with Ellie, two shoulders away from us. Truly a tears-in-your- eye- moment, this guy will not soon forget.

Is it safe to say that Desperadoes and Hylanders dominated  the Bomb scene? I don't know if there is a record of who won most back in the day , I would surely like to know.

I believe they should start having a Bomb competition Carnival Monday afternoon for the same prize as panorama. This is a excellent opportunity to get the Steelband on the road again.

RSS

© 2017   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Site Meter