When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

The bomb tunes of the 60s was one of the high points of the Steelband thus far, we have moved so far from that it's hard to visualize that there was such a period.

What have we done to the steelband in the name of progress.

Glenroy, odw, Val please take us back with some of the bomb tunes from this period on this snow filled Tuesday, lets show young people where the steelband went back in the day.

Views: 5417

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

CECIL.  Before I Started to Play With Despers in 1965 there was a Steel Band that was around My Area in St. Paul Street Called City Symphony. In The Early Sixties They Were a Force to Be Reckoned With on a J'ourvert Morning. With Pans Tuned and Music Arranged By Master Fenrick Noel ''aka'' Michigan They Had Most of the Big Bands at The Time All Stars - Pan AM - Invaders - Tokyo and Others Wondering About What They Were Coming With. They Played Pieces Like TUNES OF GLORY - AGNES DEI - NIGHT AND DAY - MOONLIGHT SERENADE -  BARBER OF SERVILLE They had The First Set of Double Tenors to Be Played on the Road on Carnival day - Tuned my Bertie Marshal.  I Also Remembered The First Year as a Teenager Playing With Coca - Cola Gay  Desperadoes on a Jourvert Morning Playing on a Float Drawn By Two Mini Vans.  That Year We Played The FLIGHT OF THE BUMBLE BEE as Arranged By Master Beverley Griffith. We Thought that We Had Won The Bomb Competition But Bertie Marshal and Hylanders took the Crown With LET EVERY VALLEY BE EXALTED. We Won the Following Year with CZARDAS arranged Again By Beverley Griffith. The Sixties was Definitely the Golden Years of The Bomb Tunes That Started in the Fifties By All Stars - Invaders and others.

yes si that were the days them young people wil never expepience thos times,

Val, Bede, Cecil, Glenroy, Gerard, Claude and other members. I have not seen anyone mention the bomb competition of 1967. In 1967 Panorama finals, bands had to perform two selections, their Panorama tune and their bomb tune. Solo Harmonites won the bomb on panorama night with IS PARIS BURNING, Pan Am North Stars won another part of the bomb competition that same year, Invaders rock town with their bomb tune MERRY WIDOW WALTZ, But the official Jouvert Morning BOMB was won by FOSYTH HIGHLANDERS playing ITALIAN GIRL IN ALGERIA. 

earl richards, IS PARIS BURNING was not a bomb tune, is was more like a test piece, all bands in the finals of panorama had to play it, it was mandatory.

What became of City symphony?

you han to be ther to experience those time there were Bomb tunes that were never recorded

<iframe width="475" height="267" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OwDK63ybR3k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cecil: Ah like this! By weekend I will post thirty three. All were not recorded according to Bede and there would be many more that other people should be able to add to the list as it is impossible for anyone to have heard or remember all from the different bands. Then we would give Val and Odw ah wuk and anyone else as bomb tune posters from their collection for the forum to enjoy.lol

Mr. Clarke: I think that I will have to negotiate with WHEN STEEL TALKS to do an interview with you to share your LIFELONG PAN EXPERIENCE with the FORUM and the WORLD!!!

However, if you make that list of THIRTY THREE BOMB SONGS and fail to include at least 10 from SILVER STARS STEEL ORCHESTRA -- your stock will drop considerably with me!!!

TO ALL WST MEMBERS, PLEASE SHARE ANY STORY YOU KNOW ABOUT THE BOMB TUNE WITH US. WE COULD BE ON TO SOMETHING OF HISTORICAL VALUE HERE.

the theme from the ten commenments, in the late 50's to early 60's  by city Syncopaters

RSS

© 2017   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

Site Meter