by Dalton Narine

Renegades Steel OrchestraGlobal - ....For now, I’m in the Grand Stand and medium band Katzenjammers is making a play. They don’t know that their song, Edwin Pouchet’s Shock Attack, is being received as muddy water, like the Tsunami effect their instruments are creating before the ears of the judges, who are compelled to imbibe not only the band’s arrangement but also the PA system’s mushy decay in the reverb. Maybe they don’t know that they don’t know. It’s like the engineer, after all these years at the task, must think the sound feels right to him.

More important to driller Maxson Ramsey is how to catch the attention of the adjudicators, for the Tobago band is gunning for a hat trick, having won two titles in a row.

Arranger Pouchet, unable to complete the work due to failing health, called upon Phase II’s Len “Boogsie” Sharpe to help out.
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Many thanks Dalton,

I was in the Grand Stand but you brought it alive.

• Much appreciation, Rhoda. From the heart.

Dalton

• I will like to know one thing, why no one in the steel pan media considers any band from Tobago worth their consideration for news and am' not just talking about Katzenjammers if it were not for Edwin Pouchet's arrangements. It seams to me that if a big name arranger from Trinidad isn't involved in a band from Tobago they don't even get any air play on WST, what's up with that?. When it comes to the judging in Panorama it's the same 5 name bands that is expected to be talked about all the time even though they sometimes play a lot of s* # t. Some of the young arrangers has done a great job, yet they are pushed aside by the so-called big guns. Name any arranger besides Dr. Jit and Pouchet who has arrange for any other band besides their own Large band and has won a Panorama? I'll like to know the name of the band and the year, maybe I'll learn something. Please give the Tobago bands a brake.

• Don:

I had surgeries on both knees and I don't have my Superman cape anymore. I missed Exodus and Redemption Sound Setters for interviews because I was trying to cover all the bases - Grand Stand, North Stand, the Greens, the Drag, etc. Fact is, I caught a minute or so of Sound Setters and the arranger was not around. Believe me, it's not easy as you well know. I did the best I could. When these bands were on stage I was in the field.

• Don:

I had surgeries on both knees and I don't have my Superman cape anymore. I missed Exodus and Redemption Sound Setters for interviews because I was trying to cover all the bases - Grand Stand, North Stand, the Greens, the Drag, etc. Fact is, I caught a minute or so of Sound Setters and the arranger was not around. Believe me, it's not easy as you well know. I did the best I could. When these bands were on stage I was in the field.

• Zanda - Steel Xplosion 2010

Bradley - Nutones 1998

And I am sure Boogsie won a bunch of zonals with other bands

This reply was deleted.