The story of Phase II Pan Groove

Phase II won its first North Panorama title in 1977 playing "I Like To Beat Pan" before winning the National Panorama Competition in 1987 playing "Feeling Nice". They have also produced other legendary favorites like "I Music", "Musical Wine", "Fire Down Below", and "Birthday Party". They have come close to winning Panorama so many times that some players within the band comically suggest that they be given a plaque commemorating the most second place finishes in the history of Panorama.

This article covers BOOGSIE and PHASE II through 2005.

After seeing what little acclaim BOOGSIE SHARPE was given in a recent WST discussion on "ARRANGERS IMPACTING PANORAMA" I decided to bring "THE BOOGSIE SHARPE STORY" to the forum.

Boogsie Sharpe (and PHASE II) created history in 1987 by becoming the first un-sponsored band to win the national Panorama competition, as well as the first band to do so performing its own tune. This feat was repeated in 1988!!!  

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Aye my brother, Merrytones, I don't mean to be as you say thin skinned,,, you know I am an old soldier,who will not leave a fellow soldier in a fire fight. We all have a right to voice our opinions,,,so Peace and Love to everyone.
  • Martin my brother,,, I understand what you are saying,,,,it's just that I have been a witness to Boogsie's greatness First hand,live and direct,,,,not in Panorama ,not in a show or concert,,,and I know that he has been given a gift from the Creator. I don't mean any disrespect to you personally, I really would like people to know what he is truly capable of,as most people have only seen him in shows etc. Whatever mistakes he has made ,""and we all have""",still cannot take away his talents and gifts from him.That's what I am trying to convey to everyone. Stay Blessed.
  • So all posters,be informed Len "Boogsie" Sharpe is no ordinary PANIST,he is gifted from the Creator. Peace and Love.
  • Claude my friend, Boogsie is family,and anyone who says anything derogatory about him,especially without merit and or reason,,,I am going to defend him. I have seen with my eyes what Boogsie is capable of when it comes to Pan,and I can boldly say he IS BORN WITH A GIFT,,,,,everybody else had to learn to play Pan ,,,he was born that way.Have a Blessed Night.
    • Oh Morning Glory...don't be so thin-skinned meh brother....there is no arranger who has never been criticized...Maitland gave "his opinion"...there is nothing to defend there...

• Ten Dozen!
  • Martin Maitland,I can see from your posts,that you have a serious hatred ,or is it jealousy towards Boogsie. Whatever your reasons,he is still the ABSOLUTE BEST PANIST IN THE WORLD,WHO CAN NOT ONLY ARRANGE, AND COMPOSE,BUT CAN PLAY ANYTHING ON ANY PAN ,ANY TYPE OF MUSIC,ANYTIME WITHOUT REHEARSAL. So all your derogatory remarks don't mean a thing to me or to the international Pan community. All great men always have haters,because they and or their friends CANNOT DO OR ACHIEVE ANYTHING CLOSE TO WHAT THE OBJECT OF THEIR HATRED CAN. Ent. Blessings.
    • Morning Glory…..I think the problem here is you are attached to Boogsie and as such will defend him.
      I on the other hand have no relations to anyone. I know a lot of arrangers and I have spoken to them at length, however I will be the first to tell them they are full of it or that tune sounds like crap.
      Boogsie is a legend I don’t doubt that, but that doesn’t mean he has nothing more to learn.
      For someone who cannot read music and plays by ear I think it’s extraordinary.
      I will be the first to criticize someone who I think dropped the ball. For example in 2016 Zander arranged what I would call a masterpiece for Desperadoes, however this year he lost his way and veered off the melody into no-man’s land, still a good rendition but not what the adjudicators expected from an accomplished arranger. If I was a hater Boogsie would be nowhere on my list of best panorama tunes.
      An arranger can do his part and create the best arrangement ever, but it comes down to the drill master and the band to execute the arrangers vision. That is sometimes very hard to achieve. In 2016 with Desperadoes playing the slow version of A Different Me… You could hear every single instrument and you knew the vision of Zander.
      Here is my list again….As you can see Boogsie features prominently on the list.
      Panorama Best
      1. Trinidad All Stars - Woman On The Bass Leon Smooth Edwards
      2. Renegades - 'Mystery Band' Jitt Samaroo
      3. Trinidad All stars "The Hammer" Leon Smooth Edwards
      4. Trinidad All Stars - Unknown Band (1981) Leon Smooth Edwards
      5. Trinidad All Stars - Curry Tabanca Leon Smooth Edwards
      6. Fonclaire 1990 Pan By Storm Ken Professor Philmore
      7. Desperadoes Steel Orchestra "Fire Coming Down" Robbie Greenidge
      8. Trinidad All Stars "Doh Back Back" Leon Smooth Edwards
      9. Phase II - Woman Is Boss Len Boogsie Sharp
      10. Renegades - Guitar Pan Jitt Samaroo
      11. Trinidad All Stars - "Dus In Deh Face" Eddie Quarless
      12. Phase II Pan Groove - Pan Rising Len Boogsie Sharp
      13. Renegades - 'The Bees Melody' Jitt Samaroo
      14. Phase II Pan Groove "This Feeling Nice" Len Boogsie Sharp
      15. Despers – Rebecca Clive Bradley
      16. Phase II Pan Groove "I Music" Len Boogsie Sharp
      17. Desperadoes Steel Orchestra - 'Different Me" Carlton Zander Alexander
      18. Desperadoes – Party Clive Bradley
      19. Trinidad All Stars - Full Extreme Leon Smooth Edwards
      20. Fonclaire - Len"Boogsie" Sharpe's "Fire Down Below" Ken Professor Philmore
      21. Hatters - Tribute to Spree Simon Steve Achaiba (Only South band to ever win panorama as a big band)
      22. Skiffle Bunch - Coffee Street (Honorable mention) Andy Narell
      23. Trinidad All Stars – Showtime Leon Smooth Edwards (Playing from position #1 in the finals)

• Ey ey you Maitland....yuh leave out Bradley's two masterpieces..."Pan in Harmony" (1976) and I"n My House" (2009)....But then again.....those are "your" choices...good selections too...

• Morning Glory: That is a false attack on MARTIN MAITLAND!!! Because he is one of the most SENSIBLE (and INFORMED) posters on this forum.

This reply was deleted.