Not since George Goddard led the Pan movement with intelligence and principle has TT players and bands experienced any real growth.

This current group of PT gangstas are unethical, unintelligent, unskilled, unprepared, untrustworthy, unimaginative, unfair and clearly unfit to lead anything.

Check the accomplishments of George Goddard. 

http://www.panonthenet.com/history/george-sonny-goddard.htm 

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• YES! George provided the strong leadership that PAN The Movement needed at the time and his contributions need to be recorded and remembered.
    But in lionising George, we also need to record the contributions of the other pioneers, who helped to:
       1. Create a new family of musical instruments based on the physics of sound, that the whole world acknowledges. 
       2.  Resisted not only the authorities but significantly the negativity of their own parents, families, and communities.   

3. Created without outside guidance a new unique Trinbago social organisation -- the PANYARD -- a local community for the development of the arts, social cohesiveness and community leadership.

Those are just 3 of the numerous reasons why THE SHORT REVOLUTIONARY HISTORY OF PAN NEEDS TO BE RESEARCHED, RECORDED, AND  ANALYSED FOR ITS LESSONS, WHICH ARE EVEN MORE RELEVANT AS GUIDES FOR HELPING TO RESOLVE TODAY'S' PROBLEMS.

Hopefully a NEW leadership of PANTRINBAGO will see this exercise as a priority and organise the society the entire society to get it done.
       One place to start -- establish a safe archive of all surviving material.

• "One place to start -- establish a safe archive of all surviving material."

You are very idealistic, Mr. Scoon!!!

Give the "NEW leadership" TEN MILLION DOLLAR$ to start this project and when you come back in TWO YEARS you might be lucky to get ONE RUSTY PAN in a BIG EMPTY ROOM. And ALL THE MONEY GONE!!!

• Guilty as charged.
        But I am not suggesting anybody give PT even one red dollar.
        I am suggesting that PT follow in the footsteps of the pioneers; decide that archiving is a priority and marshal their resources, human and material and start the process, raising financing as needed. There are some dedicated sponsors around who have been supporting PAN from the beginning. I am sure they will willingly contribute to a practical workable project to rescue and save the history.

• I like the project. I can actually VISUALIZE the END PRODUCT. And I completely agree with you on the of willingness of dedicated sponsors to support such a project. But the STEELBAND COMMUNITY is too DESPERATE and BACKWARD to deliver on a project like this.

I will give you an example of the MENTALITY that you are dealing with. PAN TRINBAGO embarked upon a project to document THE STEELBANDS OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO. They got the government to fund the project. Maybe as many as 15 to 20 people were hired to work on the project -- I am talking about salaried employees for years. MILLIONS OF DOLLARS were spent on the project and I ended up seeing their FINAL PRODUCT -- it was like the ONE RUSTY PAN in a BIG EMPTY ROOM that I referenced earlier.

Coincidentally, on THIS OLE TALK FORUM, a similar project was started. People came from all parts of the GLOBE and contributed names. Nobody was paid a PENNY. And we ended up with what I would call a GOOD FOUNDATION for the further development of the project. Far from complete but a GOOD STARTING POINT. (Although TOBAGO JOE had done the project independently in a very sophisticated package!!!)

I always read and enjoy your postings but we disagree on the ability of PAN MEN to make archiving a priority and marshal their resources, human and material and start the process of a practical workable project to rescue and save the history.

This reply was deleted.