When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Which Arranger Made The Biggest Impact On Our Large Bands Panorama?

From 1963 to Present Which Large Band Panorama Arranger Had The Biggest Impact on Our Panorama Music. Why Would You Choose That Arranger?

Views: 1531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Correction, All Stars dus in dey face was arranged by Eddie Quarles...and yes, it is a BIG oversight how there is no mention of Jit Samaroo and Leon 'Smooth' Edwards, the two arrangers with the best stats in the history of the panorama with Smooth being the top with 10 wins and placing in the top three more than most if not all other arrangers...I love and respect the work of all the arrangers, but in a topic such as this, we MUST look at the stats as that is the best yardstick to use because we all would have some bias for the arranger we like most.

Correction Smooth has 9 wins All Stars has 10 panorama wins..

hey Brain to Correct you on All Stars Dus in yuh face..It was Ground breaking yes...and it was NOT arranged by Smooth it was arranged by Eddie

Duvonne Stewart

I, love smooth, but we have Bradley, and others.

I'm smiling here reading all these different opinions however, based on the questions 'who made the biggest impact on panorama? I would have to say Boogsie, my reason being that only when other bands realized it was possible to win with your own composition, other arrangers developed the confidence to attempt their own composition in panorama. I also, love his ingenuity, but that wasn't the question.

Yeah, but Ray showed Boogsie the way.
Stats don't work in art like that. It's not sports; otherwise Chalkdust would be the greatest calypsonian, having won the most crowns. And though I love Chalkie, having him as a teacher at Nelson Street Boys, you can't be serious if you say he's the world's greatest calypsonian. Art is always about innovation and doing new things with old stuff.

The way the question was asked "it is as broad as it is wide" and as such there can't be just one specific thing about it, hence the reason we are seeing so many different concepts about what they term as having an impact and when that happens the undisputed thing to go to would be stats however, that is not to say some of us don't get the jist of the question but, one can go on to ask what kind of impact...the way arrangers use hormonies, the way they use their own composition, the way they use the various sections etc etc...there are many things that have impacted/influenced some of the arrangers and some have not been in any significant way...but, the one thing that impacts/influences every arranger is the thousands that go to the rama to be mesmerized, charmed, frenzied, taken on a musical high, judge and all the madness that make up this great time of Steelpan glory. So, i can agree stats should not be a yardstick for art but, in the advent of multiple concepts/bias and the idea of ppl having to say what their judgment is, the safe thing to resort to is stats.

I think people are misunderstanding the question. It's not about who is your favorite, it's about whose individual contribution has had a widespread influence on panorama today. Because panorama has so many facets I have to suggest three:

-Bradley for the conducting, which is now standard part of the visual presentation;

-Boogsie for the own composition, which he may not have been the first to do but was the first to win with;

-Jit for the rhythm changes, which are now a common part of the panorama arrangement structure.

But perhaps more importantly the distinct musical voice of each has been evident in the top arrangers--in all categories--at one time or another in the past several years.

You don't have to win first with your own composition to influence others.

Yes, Ray clearly introduced the idea and influenced Boogsie. But by winning, Boogsie made it a less controversial concept and gave others the confidence to follow. It's no coincidence that before the success of "This Feeling Nice" those two arrangers were pretty much the only ones composing for panorama, while afterwards within a few years it became a regular part of the competition. At finals 1993, more than half of the bands played their arranger's composition:

"Street Party", Robbie Greenidge for Desperadoes

"All Night", Ken Professor Philmore for Fonclaire

"Raising Dust", Godwin Bowen for Pamberi

"Dus In Dey Face", Pelham Goddard for Exodus

"Miss Supporter", Jit Samaroo for Cordettes

"Birthday Party", Boogsie Sharpe for Phase II Pan Groove

"Pan", Ray Holman for Hummingbirds Pan Groove

RSS

© 2017   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service