When Steel Talks

Everything Related to the Steelpan Instrument and Music

Hate it, Love it, but - you can’t ignore it.  Panorama in Trinidad & Tobago has produced some of the greatest musical moments and pieces of our time. 

When Steel Talks takes a look at 50 Years of Panorama Music, Life & Culture.

Share here, your favorite and greatest Trinbago Panorama moments, the highs and lows, with the global steelpan community...

Views: 16177

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For a pan man there is nothing  like when yuh band win panorama. I experienced the joy of winning with The Bull, StarLift and Ray Holman.

Cecil, on behalf of the many of us that shed tears on panorama night, and never won a panorama. please be nice; you don't have to rub it in :)

Glen boy ah does boast, I played with Esso Tripoli when dey Buss, ah was part of history dey and ah had 1 win ah tie and 2 seconds with StarLift, dat does keep meh strong in meh old days. lol

My best and most cherished memory of Panorama was in 1966 when Despers won its first Panorama with Beverley Griffith 's sweet arrangement of Obeah Wedding ''aka' Melda. I was seventeen [17] years at that time, playing the tenor in my second Panorama with the band, having played in my first Panorama in 1965 when we played another Beverley arrangement of ''Hold on to your Man. It was an unforgettable moment in time to be playing tenor along Despers legendary players like the great ''Robbie Greenidge' tenor - 'Tash and Pegeot second pans, Gongadin - Reddock and Crawl and legandary and 'Charasmatic Leader Rudolph Charles. That year we won every thing, Panorama -Bomb and Best beating band on the road. Steel bands first Triple Crown. It was nice to be part of Despers Panorama and Steel band History.

Val, I could imagine how you felt being with Despers that year, me and Tash and Gongadin (deceased) went to school together, Gongadin was a very good bassman, bless his soul

Val, ah hear a talk back then in a lime dat Beverly an dem was giving allyuh young tenor men some big clout an ting  up side de head to get allyuh to roll dem notes properly in "Melda".

True or lie?

It was Charlo wid D HAMMER.

Bede that was not the first triple crown.  

North Stars did it with "Dan is the man in the van" and "Valencia".   Panorama winner, best beating band on the road, and Bomb winner.    The Bomb competition was held on Park Street.

Hey Robert, Did I mention something bout "First Triple Crown?" Can't remember saying that

I believe so, and was trying to locate where, but unfortunately i could not find it.........all my Despers people keep saying that, and i have to correct them, but they keep on saying it.

Valentine, did you play in "Tripoli" in 1968, and then went on and played with "Tokyo" some years later, when Bradley was doing their arranging?

Robert are you related to Noel, did you ever live on Panka St.

RSS

© 2019   Created by When Steel Talks.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service