Trinidad Guardian
Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I.  - Claudine Marshall, the daughter of pan legend Bertie Marshall, who died last Wednesday, said yesterday the $75,000 given to the family yesterday by Government could not compensate for the 50 years of work her father took to build the steelband culture in T&T. Marshall, 76, of Harpe Place, East Dry River, suffered from diabetes. He had been in-and-out of hospital after numerous strokes and diabetic comas.

Minister of the People and Social Development Glenn Ramadharsingh yesterday visited Claudine at the family’s apartment and gave her the $75,000 cheque. He said the money was to take care of any outstanding medical and funeral expenses. After his visit, she expressed dissatisfaction and disappointment with the state’s lack of involvement in his rehabilitation.

click for full story

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Brother Terry Thanks for that warm post on the books. That is how I teach too; I make it enjoyable and informative Guidance  Dr. Lance Seunarine

• Greetings My idrens: When the time has arrived and we have to select the pan players ( Both men and women) I will let  Brother Cecil and Brother Ian head up the team to do the selection. Once I get the results I will cut the individual checks and have Brother Ian distribute them in TT for us. ( i.e. if he is there).Guidance Dr. Seunarine

• ITS WAS A DISHOURNOR BY PANTRIBAGO AND THE GOVERNMENT, NOT A HONOUR MR MARSHALL WTH A STATE FUNERAL IN TT...."

•  Greetings I have posted where we are with the sales of the book. As of September we have $207.75 (TT) in the account Dr. Lance Seunarine. I will post the balance each month.Guidance and Self Reliance

• I just cannot believe Bertie's daughter.  The money she received was not enough.  Why do people always depend on the government for bail out.  When you are healthy you suppose to take care of your finances, Children should be able to help their parents out.  To be she is ungrateful girl take the money and pay your bill and stop complaining. 

• Gloria: It is the GIMME GIMME PNM mentality ingrained since 1956. Try yuh best; yuh cyar change that!

• Hmmmm!! A very, very interesting take on the subject.

• Greetings I had said that I would contribute 20% of the sales of the books. Guidance Dr. Lance Seunarine

• Thanks , Doc, for the correction------------------20% of book sales, for a very worthy cause!!

• Firstly, my belated condolences to the family and friends of  the late Steelpan  Genius and Inventer Mr  Bertie Marshall , relevant to the amount of cash given to the family,the daughter of the late Mr Bertie Marshall has said a mouthfull,, Respect..

This reply was deleted.