A Desperadoes Moment of Greatness

Global - In a Panorama season full of intrigue, surprises and unknown territory rife with land mines and few certainties - we find ourselves in a very special place. It is the morning after the semi-final 2012 Panorama competition. Moreover, it is the moment in this enclave where we, When Steel Talks, are normally busy analyzing and writing about who is in and who is out - who made it and by how much and of course what transpired. This year ironically on the day after the Super Bowl, we will leave that to the Monday morning quarterbacks - the Trinidad and Tobago national papers, pundits and self-appointed Panorama music experts. Hey, we all think we're experts when it comes to Panorama music.

“we will just have to dust off our pants, pick ourselves up off the ground and comeback stronger...” ...Desperadoes player
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• To believe that a young arranger cannot succeed is not true for Bobby Mohammed won with Guinness Cavaliers in 1965 at the age of 22 and to date he is the youngest Arranger to have done this so it shows that the work of the young Arrangers has to be taken very seriously for they do have the potential to be Winners . The problem lies with the Judges and their wanting to be impartial and judging each band on its performance as relative to the criteria required and not on their favorites and likes . Again I repeat that if a band can basically be playing the same thing for at least the last 20 years and still be amongst the Top Bands then to me something is amiss with the Judging . The future lies with these young Arrangers and in every age the youths have and will always find it hard to gain the recognition they deserve but in order to succeed you have to stay in the game and play hard  . Use Boogsie as a perfect example for his work was not recognized in the beginning but he persevered and now the rest is History . So to Andre and Despers just keep on working towards a Brighter tomorrow . Thanks .

• Three big bands in three years out of the finals....who next? One thing I can say that about 37 yrs ago we were out also but came back with a BANG!!!!!!!!.Andre will just give them what they want to hear in his own way without compromising what he knows as music....I trust that he will be with us next year because he has what it takes for him and despers to succeed.He can chalk this year up as his initiation in the large band category.......I would have loved to hear this tune final night all finished and polished.....maybe  Despers can have their own final night performance...stream it....a lot of people were really looking out for this on the big night.......just another suggestion as this was also said by a couple of other enthusiasts......

• Well said I don't think the youth in our society that are making an effort to lead by their actions are complemented and respected as they should. Hats off to Robert for endorsing a very talented and ambitious young man. Those of us who follow New York Panorama will know that the standard of music in that competition has improved  a lot thanks to some young arrangers like Andre and others and I may be chastised for saying this but I think that given the resources the performances could rival some of the big name bands in T&T.That's a sore topic for some "DIE HARDS" so i"ll just say keep up the good work all young arrangers and let's support them as mature adults!

• Great tune despers in my book u all are winners all the time. Thumbs up to Robbie for giving the young man the support and although his schedule was tight he still played a pan.....
  • Good article. Well at one point they said Machel was too young to soca too and look at what he grew into. Like the great motivational speaker Les Brown likes to say "Your attitude determines your altitude" . I have to say the younger folks like Andre, Liam Teague, Mia Gourmandy are a breath of fresh air in pan because as talented as they are, they are approachable, good listeners and serious beyond belief. Disappointment  in Panorama is something all arrangers and bands have to come to terms with. We all know what it feels like to put in all those hours in a panyard only to have your band not be selected. But as one of the comments said, when you get knocked down you pick yourself up and come back stronger. Andre, Robert and the legendary Despers family just know that you have worldwide support and we are behind you 100%.

• That was the best I've heard Despers play since Bradley died. Musically the tune had so many colours it was unreal, the transitional parts made complete sense and the band was tight!
    As for the crap I've seen some people say about Robbie coasting, looking uncomfortable playing and not enjoying the music is shameful as you should know a great panist such as Robbie would never do that.
    Anyway I'm not gonna say who or which band should be out as I'm not a judge however I believe they should take a real close look at themselves because they should be ashamed. Renegades placed 5 is another joke and ample proof that the same old boy network of judges need to go.
    If people hated what was new PAN WOULD NEVER HAVE TAKEN OFF!

• My hat to Mr. Greenidge for that classie act. To Mr. White, just dust the pants off and come again, also speak to Robert, Pelham, Jit and a few others who have been where you are right at this moment, learn from them how to deal with it, hold no bitterness but use it to gain strength to be even better. You will be the key to opening the door for other young arrangers from New York and other countries of the world to the big yard, let's kill all that nonsense that people hold in their hearts and unfortunately minds about the young arrangers, let's support these men and women please, they are the future.

• The decision it appears has been taken in good spirits.......I am proud of Despers.....my band for life.....they have displayed a spirit of maturity and discipline....I will support them for the rest of my life time...They have always been a great Orchestra and excellent Ambass

adors for our country.....of course I am disappointed...But I am proud of them.

GOOD SHOW guys.....We will come out stronger next year please God...

• The problem with the panorama is they have to get young judgers to judge the panorama.
    These old judges can't cut it any more,40,50,60,70 years old judges it time to give the young people a chance to judge panorama.
    95% of people playing pan is young players,60% of the arangers is young people,But you have old people as judges that can't work.
    Young people know what they doing and they know what they looking for, So let's get young judges and give them a chance.I rest my case. 
  • I am amazed how one Band could be playing basically the same arrangement for at least the past 20 years and still get the Judges nod for by now every Pan Player could easily anticipate what they are going to play even without hearing their rendition .On the contrary Despers provided us with a very interesting piece and maintained their very high standard but Panorama Judging has and would always be controversial . It is now time to heal and return with the strength that we all know you possess . To be #1 with 10 Panorama victories shows the Class and fortitude that you guys are made of and this 2012 result must be the motivation for you to show them that Despers Culture . Stay up . Thanks . 

This reply was deleted.