Now yuh take ah TRINIDAD CHILD born
Not so long ago
The first thing THE CHILD learn
Is to SING AH CALYPSO
So DUVONE and DEM should be proud and glad
Of what OTHERS WISH they had
And on PANORAMA NITE
JAM the CALYPSO and not EUROPEAN SHITE ...

(Now I want everybody to know that I STOLE those lines from THE MIGHTY DUKE and did a little FABIEN ALFONSO derivative work on it -- ah hope allyuh understand.)

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• What I can’t understand as a panist composer is the song myself and Uncle Crazy composed for the pan lyrics talking about real life current situation of what many panist and bands moan about all the time ‘Getting Paid’ this song is calypso in its purest form using music to highlight real life situations using the music to inform the masses of the plight many panist face but the song was completely ignored and arrangers rather play music about someone getting HORN this just shows we’re musically peoples head is at. Well all I can say is from a personal musical and business perspective I glad I am not following the crowd but doing my own thing and thank God I have a great following that are glad to spend money with me all year round and don’t view my music as a season thing that is only appreciated round Carnival time 

• Mighty Sparrow -Du Du Yemi -Natasha (1978)

Starlift - Natasha (Du Du Yemi)

Starlift - Natasha (Du Du Yemi)

Steelband Panorama Champions 1978
    Arranger: Hershen Puckerin

SuperSnk1
    Definitely the Greatest Impact ever in Panorama. Super Tune, Super Arrangement, Super Performance, and a Super Victory.
  • Starlift Steel Orchestra - Du Du Yemi

• Sanch Electronix Limited
      The song Du Du Yemi aka Natasha, composed and sung by The Mighty Sparrow, contains a melody suitable for arranging by a traditional arranger ‘from the West’ - Herschel Puckerin - who wrote his name into the history books with an appetizing arrangement played at coasting speed with a contingent of about 27 panists. Starlift won their third Panorama title with Puckerin’s tactile arrangement in 1978.
  • Well, to be HONEST, if you are a REAL TRINIDADIAN and an AMERICAN CITIZEN (you have to be both to understand it), you will know that this is really a FLUFF ARTICLE. However, if you are  A REAL TRINIDADIAN (with a GLOBAL VISION for PAN MUSIC -- and I may be the ONLY SUCH PERSON) you would be able to see THE ROOT of the argument (even if not fully understood by the producers of the video) is EXTREMELY relevant to PANORAMA TODAY.

Which is the WHOLE POINT that my NEW FRIEND ALEXICA was making in a very ISLAND WAY!!!

• And, by the way, anybody who says that REGGAE evolved from CALYPSO is spouting ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT.

And how many times have I said on THIS FORUM that I am not a REGGAE FAN. Even so, buy your OWN SUIT and don't try to ride on JAMAICAN and REGGAE COATTAILS!!!

• Mighty Sparrow - Calypso as Mother music

• Ah take meh LICKS on THIS FORUM and I never chose to resort to CUSSING PEOPLE or BEING ABUSIVE to defend MY POSITION.

And it was KINDA FRUSTRATING for MANY YEARS -- but I held my decorum!!!

And just when I thought that I was LOST -- ALEXICA came and she made me FOUND ... and when everybody thought that I was BLIND, ALEXICA brought a TORCHLIGHT and MADE ME SEE!!!

Well yuh think yuh could go to GUYANA

And say you have OIL -- YUH MAD OH ME LARD OHH

GUYANA have more oil (and RACIAL RIOT) more than TRINIDAD

So (DUVONE) why neglect yuh CALYPSO CULTURE in YUH PANORAMA

Yuh making me FEEL SAD

Because CALYPSO and STEELBAND and PANORAMA

Is the CULTURE OF TRINIDAD

This reply was deleted.