Replies

• madness.

Call there names.

either somebody was place in the panel to take you out or put u in. 

what the judge in the middle look like? 

I mean points eh!

• What if Pan Trinbago invests in a digitally encoded machine-language algorithm to replace the judges using a different criterion?

RUBRIC FOR NEW JUDGING CRITERIA Adjudicators’Guidelines

https://www.sanch.com/images/pdf/rubric%20for%20new%20judging%20cri...

Would eliminate questions on which judge is BIASED?

Can we trust Artificial Intelligence?

• ODW this is absolutely going to happen at some point in future. But how do you program generational shifts in artistic and musical taste? How we do account for the programmers bias? 

• PT, I'm not a machine language expert, I've worked with software developers, one can set the guidelines based on the judging criteria, design how the points will be awarded, instructions/coding to recognize the generational shifts and musical taste. This kind of app can be patented for Panorama judging.

Artificial intelligence & the future of education systems | Bernhard Schindlholzer | TEDxFHKufstein

Dr. Bernhard Schindlholzer is a technology manager working on Machine Learning and E-commerce. In this talk he gave at TEDx FHKufstein, Bernhard Schindlholzer contemplated the implications of ephemeralization - the ability of technological advancement to do "more and more with less and less until eventually, you can do everything with nothing" - through artificial intelligence and machine learning. He explores the challenges that this technological approach poses to our economy and, furthermore, how they could be addressed by questioning established norms of our education systems.

• Absolutely, ODW.

An app for Panorama judging is going to get done. One way or another.  However, the cultural impact of engineering suggest that we may lose more than we gain. Engineering, business and culture can be a volatile mix that will challenge those guidelines or safety measures routinely. 

• PT, I totally agree Apple keeps reminding me to set-up my wallet app on my iPhone, I say there is no way I'm going to give them access to my bank account. My kids rarely take/make phone calls, they text. I go along, in some ways it's the best way I can get inside their heads when it comes to their decision making and thinking skills.

I work with an IBM engineer who still uses a flip phone for the very reasons you describe.

• Who Made That Decision: You or an Algorithm?

When we buy something on Amazon or watch something on Netflix, we think it’s our own choice. Well, it turns out that algorithms influence one-third of our decisions on Amazon and more than 80% on Netflix. What’s more, algorithms have their own biases. They can even go rogue.

In his recent book titled, A Human’s Guide to Machine Intelligence: How Algorithms Are Shaping Our Lives and How We Can Stay in Control, Kartik Hosanagar, a professor of operations, information, and decisions at Wharton, focuses on these issues and more. He discusses how algorithmic decisions can go wrong and how we can control the way technology impacts decisions that are made for us or about us.

• PAN TIMES: I have been watching RP and ODW running with that CURRENT TREND BUZZ WORD and staying silent -- because I have been involved IN COMPUTERS since 1970 and when I first got in, the BUZZ TERM was GARBAGE IN ... GARBAGE OUT.

So I am glad to see you CALL OUT THE ARGUMENT about PROGRAMMER BIAS which has been BUZZING in my head ever since this algorithm discussion began on THIS FORUM!!!

And look who THE LARGEST BODY OF PROGRAMMERS ARE!!!

• Judges have different tastes & prefer certain styles to others. I have had a judge comment on a tune I did where she said a certain part sounded lovely but was not relevant to d tune when all I did was play d melody with elongated notes on d guitar & cello pans with substantial runs on d tenors & double tenors. Another judge, listening 2 d same song said there was no motivic development which I did twice in d arrangement. Needless to say that was my last venture in to Panorama arranging because I realised some judges don't know what they r doing or what to look 4, while others have favourites & pay more attention to certain arrangers & certain bands at d expense of others. One Panorama La Brea  Nightingales shake up d grand stand during their semi-final performance ,d place was buzzing 4 a long time after they played. To everyone's dismay,when d results came out they were last.

• I believe that regardless of the training judges get, how they score a tune has a lot to do they heard the tune, so there will always be discrepancy, there is always a human factor.

This reply was deleted.