Here is a a more all rounded truth of the involvement of class, color and race of a people who invented the pan.  It is true that the Afro Trinidadian were first given the gift of pan, as a replacement for their natural instruments-the African drums. In getting that gift, it also contained the involvement of the rest of the class, color and race of the people of Trinidad and Tobago. The pan therefore cannot be considered to be an African type instrument or an East Indian type instrument or only relegated to be made by the Afro Trinidadian. It is is much wider than any particular class, color or race of people. It is therefore a classless, colorless and raceless musical instrument first absolutely discoverved by the African descent Trinidadian undoubtedly. This discovery however is a slap in the face of all peoples off this world. When one honestly and unbiasly studies all of the historical, social, economic and spiritual facts for the invention of this universal instrument, one see that it cannot really be classified in terms of class, color and race. it has won over all those material designations and now sits freely for anyone regardless of class, color or race to play. Some musical instruments cannot be disassociated with race.  They may never be able to be classified as a universal music instrument. The pan beats all cockfight both human and otherwise and sits in a true world both old and new musical instrument. It's therefore in my opinion a gross insult simply to say it began from the African Trinidadian poor boys, who themselves encouraged all others to come in and help make it, shape it, tune it, play it, sell it and today anyone can manufacture the conventional pan and become multi millionaires. Today, if the Afro Trinidadians are not selling it internationally, then simply saying that the Afro Trinidadians first created it has no real value in this world. That value can only be continued only if the Afro Trinidadian works this truth to their own benefit. Otherwise no one will retain rememberance of this truth of the Afro Trinidadian.  History can only be retained if there is continued invention, intervention, innovation by the Afro Trinidadian. If this stops, then the history could stop.  History then can turn into sentimental value rather than absolute value. Which one is more valuable, sentimental history or absolute or permanent history? Review the following.

http://www.panonthenet.com/history/aho/

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• SIDD IS A TROLL OF THE WORSE KIND

• easy Sarrah-Ann, boy with tons of posts and so many facebook groups been out a touch with WST Sidd, Sidd, Sidd you been at it just stirring up tings, You are definetely the man people love to hate and you did a good promo on yourself , Sarrah ann he jus miserable da is all,see you guys took care of this one so I have no comment on this thread

• Oi Zen master.............
    By your reasoning god made Europeans enslave black people cart them across the Atlantic ocean, eradicate our culture/religion ban us from playing traditional musical instruments used for religious and cultural purposes so that we lose our identity in the process. And when they struggled to forge a new identity culturally by utilizing the oil drums left around from gods world war2. People were ostracized for being pan men socially and physically for thier need to forge a new identity.
    And now that its socially acceptable to play or make pan you say its gods gift for us all to enjoy.
    DO YOU SEE HOW RIDICULOUS THIS SOUNDS?

NOW LET'S MEDITATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OOOHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I'm sorry but I just had a "Scooby Doo" moment - "Whoa?" lmao! Is SIDD for real? This guy has been at me since I joined WST, and I am glad you all see through him. This is actually one of his saner posts; you don't want him to go all zen on y'all. lol. I really cannot stop laughing. This is some funny stuff. Honestly, I question his mental faculties, for his line of "thinking" is truly, well, ALIEN! Glenroy, thank you for you sane and enlightening response. Jerome, you know "you my boy" (I mean that in a nice way). Sarah-Ann he is not a "house slave", but an "indentured laborer" with Motherland issues. I really don't get it, him and his denial. Oswald, thanks for your factual response. This whole thing was targeted against my post, and, his plan backfired. He is so confused, that he thinks honoring Blacks as pan's inventors is racist. He totally fails to respond to ANY questions posed at him, and speaks in extra-terrestrial language, that only a few of his "phone home" friends can decipher. I am so glad you all spoke out, but don't expect him to understand. WE DON'T SPEAK ALIEN! lol.

Have a great evening, ALL. We have work to do, and, somehow, I believe it will get done, starting with us WST members. Let us give back pan to the people. (SIDD, I don't mean "Black" people, eh.) Now, I'm off to read the kids a bedtime story of how, one Carnival, God gift-wrapped a pan, and hand-delivered it to Black people, while declaring it a "raceless musical instrument". (Unlike the gifts he gave to Europe.) Really nice bedtime story; the kids love it. Has aliens and everything.

(BLACK) GHOST WHO HAD A REALLY GOOD LAUGH. Thank you, SIDD!  (You know you meh boy, though. Nothing but love for you, brother. And we do agree on one thing: Pan is universal! See how nice Black folks are; we willingly share EVERYTHING, including our "gift from God".)

• Sidd, there is a History Posted on this Website,,,,refering to George Sunny Goddard, deceased father of The Ghost Who Talks,,,,40 years of sacrifice relevant to the Steelband movement in T&T,,now i  can recollect quite clearly,,,you have made no comment relevant to this,,are you a true Trini,are you true in heart,the word for me to use to express the attitude of  certain Hindu,s /Indians response, a silent and vivid Negative reaction to the African Culture worldwide, i cannot find and or describe,my respect ,but you also do give me the said feeling of discriminating against the Steelpan,,,,facts, for had it been that you were upright ,from the inception of me posting a few valid and truthful questions , to you,,as a man of respect ,, you would have answered my question ,,the final analysis,,this would provide the answers of on which Limb you are really  Hanging,  yuh  know this is healthy dialogue, no vexation,,, or hatred just the TRUTH,,,,,,God Bless.

• I don't know where Sidd has been, but he sounds like an alien, pan was created out of the struggle of African-Trinidadians who were always searching for media to express their music, after much suppression and opposition from the colonial powers. Sidd tell me, if some other race other than the ones who created the piano or the guitar manufactures these said instruments, are you saying that it would be lost on the original creators and they should not be given the kudos. I hope what you have posted and what you really meant are just mixed up. SIDD, PAN IS AFRICAN-TRINIDADIAN as the cuatro is Spanish-American. 

• Sidd before going any further,in my last discussion with you, i just played a fool,i had poted 3 questions, which  you had sidelined,deviated from,neglected to answer Truthfully,ignored and had finally given me the Royal Run Around,mark well even though what was asked was factual,aired on CNT and truthful,i,mno scholar,professor scientist at least not a Fool, maybe you would disagree with my opinion,such a right have you,BUT!!!! i do maintain that the STEELPAN  WAS  INVENTED BY THE BLACKMAN OF  T&T,,,6 for 9,,,,puss in bag,the tablet/capsule is too large to swallow,i,m giving Jack he Jacket,we do have a right to express ourselves  voice our opinion,but it does not mea that what,s untrue ought to be accepted and swallowed,with respect for all i do make my comments,no hard feeling,,,,Clean Talk Clean Living,,,,To The Point,,,my Respect to you and all concerned,,,,,,,The Truth,,,,,,God Bless.

• I AM GOING STRAIGHT TO THE POINT,SIDD R U OUT OF YOUR MIND OR BEING PAID TO TALK THIS ////IT.WAS YOUR FATHER, GRANDFATHER,UNCLE ETC.BEATEN BY THE POLICE,JAILED,RIDICULED AND OSTRACIZED BY THE REST OF D POPULATION  BECAUSE OF THEIR INVOLVEMENT WITH PAN?THESE AFRO TRINIDADIAN MEN,STILL HAD THE SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE,INTELLIGENCE,WISDOM AND TESTICULAR FORTITUDE,TO INVENT THE GREATEST MUSICAL INVENTION OF THIS MODERN WORLD.

NOW THAT IT IS POLITICALLY CORRECT TO B ASSOCIATED WITH A STEEL BAND YOU DARE TO TALK THIS CRAP?GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT,YOU AND ALL WHO THINK LIKE YOU,BLESSINGS TO ALL THOSE GREAT AFRO TRINIS WHO SUFFERED AND STRUGGLED TO MAKE PAN WHAT IT IS TODAY,AND TO U 2 SIDD.

• Sidd you remind me of people who look at the faces of the Sphinx of Egypt and refuse to acknowledge what they are seeing. Do you not know what Ellie Mannette looks like? Do you not know what Neville Jules looks like? Do you not know what Anthony Williams looks like? Do you not know what Bertie Marshall looks like? Why is it so difficult for you to simply say the black people of Trinidad invented pan. And through their intelligence they developed this magnificent family of instruments. Story done!

bugs

• Sid sounds like one of those house slaves. He reeks of all that is hypocritical and i have gone away with the feeling that for him to be involved in the Pan that stigma of it being of Black African roots must be removed bah well to tell him the truth which no one ever cites some of those fellas even beat out some of those notes in "Dem Boys Jail" wherever it was in those days.  Thanks to them we have an international instrument played  in the Queens Palace and what ever its roots however hard the price that was paid to invent and all the licks and blows that was shared out by the police. Thanks To those People For Our National Instrument. The only other entity that took blows and persecution in this land was the Baptiste faith and today the faith and the instrument have survived better than Sidd whoever he might be.Steups

Sidd go say the same about the Violin let me see you discuss the inventor of that great instrument in the disrespectfull way that you have just done with the inventors of Pan. Or is that not the same? ent

This reply was deleted.