How many COMMITTEES and how many MEETINGS Beverley had in preparation for THIS PANORAMA and something as FUNDAMENTAL as this (HISTORICAL RECORDING) was not seen as critical in ALL THE PLANNING.

I AM DEPRESSED at THIS FAILURE!!!

The FILM INDUSTRY in TRINIDAD and TOBAGO is EXPLODING and FULL OF TALENT!!!

I would have expected the newly appointed LIAISON OFFICER FOR STEELBANDS to have made connections after THREE MONTHS in office to coordinate networks with arrangements to REPRESENT THE PRODUCT in a PROFESSIONAL MANNER.

BACKWARD EVER -- FORWARD NEVER!!!

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hey Bugs, I didn't say 17 different crews, if you are covering 17 events, you need 17 crews, even if two of them are the same crew redeployed at a different venue on a different night. I doubt a crew will give you two for the price of one, so the cost is for 17 crews. And qualified crews, even "small" crews don't come cheap. To a large degree, you get what you pay for.

Speaking of upload speed, when last you measure Internet upload speeds in Trinidad? I'm here now again this year, and Trinidad has pretty abysmal Internet connections.

You left out a few items, like a decent mic preamp that can handle the peak levels from the band cleanly. And as I mentioned before, some panyards are poorly laid out to provide either good video or audio, or even the opportunity to provide the proper lighting you mention.

The audio people doing the pickup would have to be properly trained to mic a live steelband. There are some here who know what to do, but many others who would try to apply the microphone choices and micing techniques appropriate for a soca band, and they may well disappoint you with their product.

If you feel so strongly about seeing the preliminaries, you should consider traveling to Trinidad to see them in person, as I have. In fact if you expect to see many or all of the bands, you probably would find that even some of the poorer "cell phone" videos provide a better view than you would get in person, unless you find looking at the back of people's heads a good vantage. Most of the venues were very crowded most of the evening with supporters who did not travel from band to band. And I find the UTT audio satisfactory for comparing the performances. Your tastes may vary.

I must tell you the 'Beverly this, Beverly that' stuff in these posts comes over to me as either sour grapes, that whoever you were supporting from thousands of miles away didn't win, or worse yet as sexism. Some of the regular posters here seem to be of the opinion that no woman could run Pan Trinbago or anything else. Sad.

And Pan Trinbago is seriously in debt, the country is suffering financially, Somehow I'd guess that Pan Trinbago, and the Culture Ministry has higher priorities for their limited funds than providing equipment and training for streaming the preliminaries live to a bunch of expats who don't come back to Trinidad for whatever reason. And not all bands have sponsors with deep pockets to support streaming. I can tell you that for most bandleaders, providing streaming is and will remain pretty low on their priority list.

In any event, you will have the opportunity to watch and listen to the semifinals streamed live in HD. WACK is providing a stream, but you'll have to cough up US $10.00 to subscribe. It will be interesting to see how many people subscribe.
    • Who said anything about learning to streaming for expats? That is your personal hang-up. Learning to stream and understanding the related technologies involved is an entry point for these young people. Why would begrudge  the government investing in its people?

What does Pan Trinbago being in debt have to do with its President championing and seeking funding for technical training for her members? What is more important than that?

If they learn how to stream for preliminaries in their panyards, what makes you think they won't use that knowledge to do other useful and empowering activities the day after.

The President of Pan Trinbago has said she wants the panyard to be much more than just a panyard. Teaching and training young people in the panyard technical skills that will be of use to them, their communities and their bands in the panyard is a start.  What is the purpose of WACK providing a stream? What does what people think about Beverley have to do with anything if she is capable, effective and successful?

bugs

• Bugs,

But money is an issue, someone had to pay for those production teams, who set up hours in advance. Well off sponsors may find it worth the investment, as they may get some advertising/promotion benefit from it. Many bands simply can't afford that or feel that the money is better spent elsewhere. After all this is a competition, and a good stream doesn't get you any more points in the judging.

Also the availability of money in the long term may pay for a bigger panyard which allows for better crowd control, which makes for better production, both video and audio.

And to have been complaining that it was Beverley's problem is not correct. It is up to the band to decide about providing a stream. Just in the large band preliminaries there were 17 bands. Expecting Pan Trinbago to hire 17 production crews to do this with no financial return is wrong, considering their other financial struggles. They do have the co-operation of UTT which provides a decent quality audio recording for the archives.
    • PJJ

It is Beverley's problem if she wants it to be. And that's why she's president and you are not.

Panorama is much more than a competition and you already know that. It's about the people of Trinidad and Tobago. 

17 production crews, what's the big deal. It's not like all 17 large bands were being judged in their yards on the same day. 17 bands, 17 villages, 17 streaming crews. Which means you know you are spewing nonsense and misinformation - since all the bands are not live on the same night, that number of "production crews" would never be needed.

And full production crews are not necessary for simple streaming in a panyard setting, a laptop, proper panyard lighting, two good mics, HD camera, tripod, solid internet connection with proper upload speeds and you're good to go.

Pan Trinbago should make the request to the government and UWI to invest in each band by providing the necessary training outside of Panorama to band members or village residents so that they will be ready for 2020 with the skills necessary for streaming live next year. Streaming is not rocket science and even it was, so what? Each band has sponsors who can pick up the equipment tab. Invest in the people with something tangible.

bugs

• Listened to the recordings,large bands, I can say Phase11 choose the wrong tune, no sweetness from that tune.  I have never seen their pan-yard so dismal after a preliminary performance. Far from being a party atmosphere.  Desperadoes and All Stars seem to have the best arrangements and music.

• we all love you miss Beverly whenstee talks support you  , don t give up you are doing a great, job, it I s a learning experience don give up,

• All I say is they all need help with streaming and recordings. When you big you big. Renegades had one of the best streams in years followed by All Stars, however, these were production teams doing the stream. The small bands could barely keep their pan players much less to pay for a production team.
      The thing that got me last night was Duvone Stewart begging and trying to sway the judges with a story. Please, man, be a little humbler like your predecessor Dr. Jit. Let your music speak for itself.
      Another concern was, why was Desperadoes in silhouette? Was it to bring some sort of mystique to the music?

• A few comments regarding the Preliminaries and streaming them: First, if you are talking about doing professional video and audio broadcasts, who is going to pay? It is very expensive to do truly professional video, and there are still issues doing the audio. The preliminaries are each in a different yard, with different constraints. If you really wanted quality recordings you would have to have a separate crew at each venue, set up and a technical rehearsal in advance, before not only the judges but the crowds (often) of supporters showed up. You'd have to keep the supporters out of the camera angles and away from the microphones. You'd have to deal with difficult acoustic issues in some of the panyards, particularly noise control. Go into the Phase II yard now and listen to the very loud noise from the cooling towers for the apartments. Not good, and any solution would be very expensive and take time to build. Then you have yards like Skiffle with no space in front of the band (and supporters crowded in) making proper mic placement a compromise.

The team from UTT make audio recordings (not a stream) that get put up on Sound Cloud (with links from the Pan Trinbago website). They are using top quality, professional equipment and are well trained in the nuances of proper technique. Given the limitations of the sites, they are probably about the best audio you could expect with very limited setup time (They travel with the judges, and no one is going to give them much extra time to set up if it delays the judging.), no technical rehearsal, and very limited post production.

Their equipment is similar in quality and technique to what Sanch used, but he would go to one panyard at a time (not when they were being judged), record multiple takes, correct any noted deficiencies, pick the best take and master the recordings before issuing them. And he eventually stopped because few were buying his CDs, and furthermore he was getting heavily pirated. He was losing money. He is now working to make his library available on a stream.

Some steelbands still try to stop "unauthorized" recording, but when everyone owns a cell phone which includes video and audio recording capability (of variable quality and being used by people with no training) it is futile to attempt to control personal recording. Trying to stop it is like playing "whack-a-mole", for every person you attempt to tell to stop, five others will begin recording. As others have commented, most of what appears on Facebook is cell phone material.

Also, be aware that Facebook (and YouTube to a lesser degree) limits the audio and video quality severely, to reduce their bandwidth requirements.

The audio and video at the Savannah is another issue, which is beyond the scope of this post, except to say that not one cent was spent in the design or construction of the Grand Stand for acoustic design, treatment or control. Nor was much if any thought given to providing desirable sight lines for video production. Nuff said there.
    • PJJ

Let's deal with the reality of last night's streams. They were all very good streams with decent audio. In fact the audio even sounded better than UTT's at times.  Invaders, Renegades and Trinidad All Stars brought in their won steaming company's and Trinidad and Tobago Newsday also provide an acceptable stream for Desperadoes and Silver Stars. So it can be done. Money is not the issue. Expertise and commitment is.

bugs

• This works when you have dynamic fixed stereo microphones set up at the front of the band to capture all aspects of the music. What we see it Trinidad is someone walking around with a phone or a video camera with a single microphone picking up whatever the lens is pointing towards. Really and truly Television only recently acquired that feature which radio has had for many years. the problem is combining the two aspects of the recording. Most amateur videographers may not have that skill, therefore what you end up with is mismatch video and audio. Has anyone listen to what TTT is putting out lately as far as sound quality is concerned. "They need to fire the sound engineer "... For years the sound has been distorted and only getting worse. hopefully, they rectify this before the finals since they will be broadcasting on Semifinals and Final night.
This reply was deleted.