An EXPAT is WITHOUT HONOR in his HOME LAND

I stand to be corrected on this, but I see very little MENTION of Ellie Mannette's death down in THE MECCA OF PAN. At the very least PAN TRINBAGO could have written up a nice obituary. I mean in today's world a 12-year-old child could go on the INTERNET and cut and paste a nice little tribute on this MUSICAL GENIUS.

On the other hand, I know how painful it is for the LOCALS to recognize the contributions of EXPATS when it come to THE PAN TING. Or in GENERAL, for that matter.

Well, I think that they should set up a ELLIE MANNETTE STEELPAN INSTITUTE and bring down a MANNETTE INSTRUMENTS crew from WEST VIRGINIA to duplicate their RESEARCH and PRODUCTION and EDUCATION and SALES. This should have been done while Ellie Mannette was alive, but anybody who ever read THE MERVYN DYMALLY STORY knows the roadblocks THE LOCALS place in their minds on WORKING WITH EXPATS.

Ah really thought that I would have read a statement from ROWLEY or THE MINISTER OF CULTURE expressing some sympathy and praise for his achievements. If these TAPES or REPORTS exists -- somebody should put them up on this PAN FORUM.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Let Ellie tell His Story...time to TEACH Steelband history in schools as part of their music education.

Stradivarius Of Steel - The Ellie Mannette Story

“When I was a very young boy I listened to classical music all day on the radio. I said to myself. ‘One of these days I’m gonna build a symphony of steel - all steel drums – to sound as good, or better, as that symphony I’m hearing on the radio.”

Dr. Ellie Mannette

• DOCTOR DOLLY did not have A MINUTE to go down by INVADERS and say a word or two about ELLIE MANNETTE.

WHAT A SHAME!!!

• Thank you Ellie

Joan Rampersad

As the pan fraternity worldwide comes to terms with the passing of pan icon, Ellie Mannette on Wednesday, more tributes are being paid to the pan pioneer.

Internationally acclaimed pannist/arranger, home for a few days until he returns to his California home, Robert Greenidge said: “So sorry to hear about the passing of Dr Ellie Mannette. He was a great man, father of the steel pan instrument… he had so many and various designs like the tenor double seconds and his famous triple guitar pans, plus his basses were the best sounding basses and many, many, more. I had the opportunity to be invited to his steel pan workshops at Morgontown College, West Virginia for a couple of years where I had a great time performing there. So to the father of the steel pans and the original leader of the Shell Invaders steel orchestra of Trinidad, may he rest in peace as he has moved on to join the other great tuners in heaven. Bless his soul, peace and love. I hope the Trinidad government do something to honour him.

https://newsday.co.tt/2018/09/02/thank-you-ellie/

• They don't give a damn about ex pats, be it Ellie, you or me. They dont need your ideas, suggestions or criticism, constructive or otherwise. 

According to one writer, he doesn't think they are corrupt, backward or stupid, maybe not,  but I think they are something.

I was at Invaders pan yard for Independence, didn't hear anything about Ellie, maybe I missed it.

Expats wanted.....for carnival only. 

• Just to set the record straight.

You came late.There was a minute of silence at the beginning of festivities and there will be a remembrance get together on Thursday evening.

• Quote: "maybe I missed it"

• EXPATS WANTED for CARNIVAL ONLY ... Ain't that the TRUTH!!!

• NCC Mourns The Passing Of Elliot “Ellie” Mannette

Port of Spain, Trinidad: Thursday, August 30, 2018: The National Carnival Commission of Trinidad and Tobago (NCC) joins with the nation in remembering the life of Elliot “Ellie” Mannette - celebrated steel pan pioneer and stalwart- who died on August 29, 2018 at the age of 91.

Widely credited as one of the nation’s greatest steel pan musicians and cultural ambassadors, Mannette has received several national and international awards for his outstanding work in the field.

A Hummingbird Medal (Silver) and Chaconia Medal (Silver) recipient, he has also been at the forefront of the steel band movement in the United States for decades and received the National Endowment of the Arts (NEA) National Heritage Fellowship Award in 1999, and an Honorary Doctorate from the University of the West Indies, St. Augustine in 2000. In 2003, Mannette was admitted to the Hall of Fame of the Percussive Arts Society of the United States.

The NCC joins with the nation in remembering Ellie Mannette, who championed the cause of our steel pan locally and across the world, and extends its deepest condolences to his family and loved ones during this difficult time.

• Claude. LIke I have always said repeatedly here and other pan forums. TRINIDAD IS THE WORST PLACE FOR PAN, PAN PLAYERS, AND ANY THING RELATED TO PAN. We see this constantly before our eyes. I have always said Ellie Mannette had it right about Trinidad from his early days.  His light complexion and semi straight hair added insult to injury. Others in the pan fraternity at the time and some of them are still around or have gotten this attitude from their elders. They were highly jealous of his enthusiasm, determination, will and venture to see the pan instrument evolved in a great musical instrument and spread throughout the world. Ellie by no means was the only one that did this. But Ellie did it the longest. That can no longer be disputed. It means therefore someone great was behind him. That someone was the Supreme Himself. Here is my prediction. With Ellie's departure, the pan instrument will now be accepted as a main stream musical instrument, both in its acoustic for and now electronic digital sound. I would venture to say he was most likely pan's greatest developer. His title bestowed upon him "The Father of the modern pan" would remain in history. No one else came close to what he did for pan right up to his death. Even his method of tuning was very gentle.Two strokes at a time, test for sound and two again like that. His pans are all very mellow and sweet sounding. The "Mannette Instruments" will go on. 

This reply was deleted.