Replies

• Aquil, before yuh come on this global forum in 2020, yes in 2020 an talk all this backwardness read how the great one responded decades ago. Hugh Borde (may his soul rest in eternal peace) was indeed a great man and a great leader Gregory Lindsay. His call to the great beyond is truly one of the greatest losses that the steelband fraternity has suffered after George Goddard in my country bookie opinion.

Credit The Illustrated Story of Pan: Second Edition br Dr. Kim Johnson.

Hugh Borde. A true pan pioneer who was known just as much abroad, as much as he was at home. We share our condolences to family and friends. Here is a an except of an interview with Borde about his travels with the National Steelband. Photo: Courtesy the late Clifford Alexis

“When we went to Mackenoe Island we thought we gone to play for pay. We popular at the conference, Sidney Poitier there, Herbie Allen, but the National Steelband was the hit. But no money. Cobo Jack start to complain: ‘Tell George Goddard come here because we broken.’ Conrad Hunte, vice captain of the West Indies team, who brought us there, ask why we bickering. I call a meeting—Junior Pouchet, Steve Regis and Zephryine was leaders. “We decided to hold the meeting with Hunte and Peter Howard, the Moral Rearmament people and all who arguing about money. ‘Mr Riley, what is your grouse?’ ‘Me eh have nothing, sir.’ ‘Lennox Mohamed?’ ‘Neither me, sir.’ Steve Regis: ‘All alright.’ Cliff Alexis shake he head. Junior Pouchet: ‘Well, there’s a little thing here but nothing to talk about.’ “So when they came to me, the last person, Hugh Borde, I say, ‘In fairness to the conference, we were of the impression coming here there would be some remuneration fee.’ “They pulling me, ‘Hugh, you making we shame.’ “They call off the meeting ‘O gawd Buboy, you embarrass we.’ “In 20 minutes all members of National Steelband get an envelope with US$20. Steve Regis ask for five stamps to write letters home. I caused them to get pay. Cobo Jack say, ‘Allyou eh no leader, Hugh is the leader.’ “In 1965, we went to London with Aubrey Adams’ Man Better Man, but still no money. You know what we live off? I had members playing in Trafalgar Square and I walking on my hands, foot in the air like a scorpion, and hats out and people throwing money in the hat. I used to walk on my hands on the Western Main Road. We were in England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland, about three months.”

• A pack ah shit Aquil. Another one of your dissertations in jackassness.

It is evident that you do not possess what it takes to be a judge, may God have mercy on those performers.

On the panorama in Tobago; How de arse ah trip tuh Tobago could be de incentive? Ah Incentive for who? 

• TRUCK OWNERS FROM TRINIDAD?
    • CRAB AN DUMPLING VENDORS?
    • TOBAGO GUEST HOUSE OWNERS?
    • TOBAGO MAXI TAXI OPERATORS?

TRUCK OWNERS MAKING MONEY, CRAB AN DUMPLING VENDORS MAKING MONEY, TOBAGO GUEST HOUSE OWNERS MAKING MONEY, TOBAGO MAXI TAXI OPERATORS MAKING MONEY... but PANMEN WHO MADE THE SHOW POSSIBLE BROKEN IN TOBAGO Quote me on that).

So if dey take away the $1000 did they provide a living allowance in Tobago for bands that were away from their homes? A boat ride to Tobago is incentive for Panmen? Don't be a kakahole Aquil and please desist from subjecting ALL panmen to this level of slavery that you and many other band leaders are comfortable with. Would you Aquil Arrindell have disbursed a PER DIEM to your band members while on the sister isle had your band made it to the finals? Did Pan Trinbago disburse funds for that purpose? 

It reminds me of a story I read in The illustrated story of pan.

Rest In Peace Hugh Borde. None, not one of these jokers are worthy to tie your shoelaces!

• “please desist from subjecting ALL panmen to this level of slavery that you and many other band leaders are comfortable with “ Wow! Fuh real. Like someone penned the other day...hypocrites, liars and thieves.???

• Nice report Aquil.

It is good to see that the Bev is doing better than the previous gangstas.

Waiting for the full report. 

The players must indeed be paid.

Tell the Bev, that college students in America are about to start getting paid.

bugs

This reply was deleted.