ARRANGER FOR HIRE......

Seeing that the pool of arrangers is more than the bands, it might be in the best interest of a band if they change their arranger if he/she is not competitive. It's only a matter of time before bands realize that panorama is one song so they might as well get the best for the money they put out for an arranger.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Clarence Morris is one of the arrangers I would like to see arrange for a band in NY, I also agree that some arrangers and players may not be fit for each other, but I have also heard music from arrangers out side of Trinidad that can do excellent music. 

• Cecil bands are working on trying to have "home grown" arrangers by giving them some exposure during the year and getting people who can help them improve their skills. I am for going local brand before importation.

• You people can't be serious…if ANY arranger local or foreign thinks he/she is worth there salt they should approach ANY band BIG or SMALL…or in between…who tell you that small bands need foreign arrangers?…There are Mega bands over 50 years in the business that haven't produced an arranger from their ranks…as long as steel bands choose to continue to ignore their own home-grown talent they will continue to be be in deep deep shite…The ONLY reason that bands hire "outside" help is to WIN and while we all understand that, few of us are prepared to acknowledge that there is a sting in that tail…when you accept "outside" help you do so your peril because "outside" help is there solely to make MONEY and promote themselves…and while nothing is wrong with that, check the bands and arrangers who have been most successful over the years and your would see that it is only the bands with longstanding arranger relationships that have been winning…Boogsie - Phase II, Exodus - Pelham, Smooth - All Stars, Silver Stars - Pouchette (deceased), Duvonne - La Horquetta and San Juan All Stars, Jit - Renegades and BJ Marcell -Arima Golden Symphony…all the above have had long long relationships with their bands…even yesteryear's Ray and Starlift and Earl Rodney and Harmonites…Yuh think that was by guess?...

• Merrytones

The flip side to your argument is Redemption Sound Setters (Winston Gordon ),  Clarence Morris (Tropical Angel Harps ), Ken Philmore (Fonclarie ), and Arddin Herbert (Invaders). Robert Greenidge has not won in over 20 years. And Andy Narell will never win. Can it simply be a case of the guys who are winning are just better than the rest? At what point does the band say this guy is not going to bring home the prize? 

bugs

• …and that might just be the case Bugs…maybe the top arrangers are just better than the rest...there are no guarantees in a competition…Panorama success depends on much more than a good arranger. You must also factor in quality of players, band management, band location and things like that. Maybe the fact that certain P.O.S. bands are always out front is just that…"they from town"…everybody and they brother want to play "in town" still. The Mega bands are where they are because they are miles ahead of the field based on popularity, quality of personnel, instruments etc...

That too is why I keep complaining about the disorganization of the competition. Panorama can never be a serious competition if competitors are allowed share the most important resource - the player. I can only wonder what would be the case if a strict one-band-one-man rule was in place. As it stands the better players will always gravitate to the better bands simply because they can see financial guarantees…the rest will continue to suck salt...

• Yes Merrytones

Trinidad is only place in the world where you can compete against yourself and call it a competition. And get paid for it. SMH

Somebody should go to jail for this insult in broad daylight.

bugs

• Well at least we agree on something Bugs…lol

• merrytones, the tuner makes money, the arranger makes money, how can the player make some money without moving around. I'm seeing things changing right before our eyes, why should we ask players to be loyal to one band when this is the ONLY opportunity they have to hustle a few dollars. We are producing players and arrangers with no means for them to work. 

• Cecil when the market is flooded people usually go do something else.

bugs

• Bugs, this is what the players are doing, dey want to eat ah food too.

This reply was deleted.