PalmCoastObserver.comBTES teacher Ashley Allen needs to raise over $600 to buy two more tenor steel drums for her students.

Belle Terre Elementary School is hoping to keep filling the land of the Bobcats with the sound of the islands — the island of Trinidad, to be exact.

BTES sixth-grade teacher Ashley Allen and her husband, Matanzas High School fine arts teacher Jared Allen, have a passion for steel drums, and they're sharing that passion with their students. 

The pair have visited Trinidad, where steel drums originated, about five or six times since March 2014, the most recent time being February 2017.

Jared Allen lived in Trinidad from August 2015 to August 2016 to earn a master's degree in carnival studies — the study of Carnival, which includes steel drums and Panorama, an international steelpan competition.

"After we have visited Trinidad, I really started getting into it more as well," Ashley Allen said. "Just based on seeing their culture and seeing how much of a part of the culture it is there — just in watching them play and the excitement, it’s that very 'island Caribbean' kind of feel. And when you feel it and play it, you can’t help but dance around."

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Love the initiative. 

will you help.

Contact me.

• Go to the WEBSITE and CONTACT THEM!!!

Werner went to the WEBSITE!!!

• Hallo, Ashley :-)

just visited the WebSite of your school.
    No offence intended, but when I see your motto
    "A Flagship for Innovation /Robotics /Engeneering /Computer Science"
    I dont't understand why 600 $ for musical instruments ist a problem.
    Take care, WerNer

This reply was deleted.