Students from Somersfield Academy practice for their upcoming steel Pan Jazz Festival in May. (Photo by Akil Simmons )

Bermuda -  Bermuda’s first Pan Jazz Festival takes place next month, celebrating one of the world’s most versatile instruments.

Organised by Somersfield Academy and Atlantic Publishing, the festival will include the 18-piece Somersfield Steel Pan Orchestra, the Happy Hands steel pan group and the Bermuda School of Music and the Giant Steps Band.

“I think the steel pan is a nice instrument for young people to be versatile on,” said Somersfield music teacher Janice Pearman. “We play all different styles of music on the instrument. It is comparable to your traditional orchestra. You can play any style of music whether you want classical or jazz, contemporary, calypso or reggae. I think it is one of those instruments where the children can achieve something at a very quick stage.”

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ms.J. Pearman,

I just would like to say that I hope your Festival is a resounding success and may it grow from strength to strenght,

I also agree with your views,

This reply was deleted.