Beverly Ramsey Moore, Ainsworth Mohammed, Junia Regrello and Michael Marcano all recommend Aquil Arrindell for President but he chose to run as Vice President instead.

By Aquil Arrindell

‘One of the reasons that Mrs. Ramsey Moore is running for the presidency is that I declined her recommendation to the top spot.’

This, Mr. Arrindell, the former education officer of pan Trinbago, said. He said that, because of his lack of experience, he would not want to do the organization a disservice by running for a position that others might be more suited for. In addition, the organization is 40 million in debt because of the present executive and it would definitely take someone with experience to take PT out of this financial hole. Despite Mr. Arrindell’s reasons, Mrs. Ramsey Moore thought that with the right team around him, he would have been more than capable to do the job.

Passion, grit, intelligence and Mrs. Ramsey Moore even added ‘and you young and good looking’. Though that might have just been her political talk in a bid to convince him to accept the job at that time, she explained that having the right faces coupled with integrity is important for the organization at this time. Mr. Arrindell admitted that over the last two years, they have had regular chats and he is very confident that if she thought that he would make a good president, then she would support him as Vice President although he is not running on her slate.

According to Mr. Arrindell, several bandleaders such as Ainsworth Mohammed (Exodus), Junia Regrello (Skiffle) and Michel Marcano (Renegades) hold the view that he should run for the presidency. Note that this is their personal view and not the view of their band, Mr. Arrindell added. Their reasons were the same as Mrs Moore’s, with the exclusion of physical appearance.

‘Mr Regrello knows me, has watched me grow from a teen to manhood and views me as someone who takes criticisms and advice for improvement. Mr. Marcano and Mr. Mohammed both would have experienced evidence of my grit and determination as the leader of the CIP, mainly when I handled the task of traveling the length and breath of this country for one and a half years to acquire the signatures of 60% of the membership.’

Mr. Arrindell revealed that convincing bands to sign a petition against the executive was an extremely difficult task. Articles, fortnightly meetings, strategies, protests, and building relationships were key to his success. ‘And though I cannot take credit for the completion of the task, I would take credit for keeping the team motivated and resilient.’

Mr Arrindell admitted that he is the only CIP member to have travelled to every zone in Trinidad from band to band (those that would entertain him) to get the petition signed. He said, he not only did it because of the executive’s need to be removed, but also as the leader of the CIP the buck stops with him. If the CIP failed, he would have had to take that responsibility. In Mr. Arrindell’s psyche, failure is not an option and he intends to carry the same attitude to the office of VP.

Although Mr. Arrindell is the youngest member of the CIP, he was elected chairman. Mr. Arrindell said, after the petition was delivered to PT, he sent in his resignation.  It was rejected. When asked why, Mr. Arrindell said he thinks that the older guys have a certain level of trust in his competence and also that they see him as a mouldable individual.

‘I understand what a servant-leader role is and I do it well. The next executive has to get all its members involved in the rebuilding of the organization and be willing to carry on the mandate of the membership, whatever that might be. Pan Trinbago is at its worst and we need a group of people who are intelligent and willing to get the job done without excuses.’

Aquil Arrindell is staying positive with the belief that he would be the next Vice President of Pan Trinbago and is asking for your support. He is running with Keith Byer as president and the reasons for that choice; his list of things he would like to accomplish as VP and his endorsement of other candidates would be articulated as the campaign progresses.

Aquil Arrindell

Reporting on 2018 PT’s election.   

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One commenter wrote: "When the MEMBERSHIP wants you out, you go!". Not that easy, if the MEMBERSHIP voted you in, then the MEMBERSHIP must vote you out. Comment lacks relevance.
    • Arguably agreed.  I am not a big fan of undated/resigned resignation letters as they could and would be used nefariously by opponents.  If the PT Constitution and Bye-Laws do not have such mechanisms to trigger a recall vote, then such provisos can be duly explored by a newly-elected administration.  Transparency and Accountability warrants such.

• The OFFICIAL NOMINATION date is OCTOBER 1ST. So there will be NO OFFICIAL LIST until after that date.

But quite a few potential candidates who were on the SIDELINE are deciding to run now!!! So it is going to be a BIG FIELD.

Ah tell dem fellahs that NOBODY doh know who KEITH BEYER is but they doh believe me.

• Apologize for last line of previous comment. Everyone's opinion is encouraged.
  • Claude, I need to get lists of all the SUSPECTS for office. Why would someone opt for VP when P is available. Every body wants Aquil, but Aquil doh want Aquil. With respect, never heard of Keith Byer.
    I'll continue to follow the comments, asinine though some may be.
  • Ask Patrick Arnold, President of PT from 1996 and Keith Simpson about their experiences with Mr. Byer .Also, I am certain if Edwin Pouchet were alive he may have had some relevant comments about Mr.Byer.
    Trevor Cooper
    • Mr. Cooper: Please TURN UP THE CARDS!!! The elected PRESIDENT is taking over at a crucial period and we need PROGRESSIVE LEADERSHIP.

So please tell us WHAT YOU KNOW!!!

• I am supporting Keith Byer as I indicated on top. And if I thought any of the allegations against him had any merit, because of what I stand for, he would not have my support. Byer and I give everyone, both local and international followers of pan politics the opportunity to call in to WACK 90.1 fm and confront him man to man with their allegations. It is my view that the act of raising issues against Byer on a forum where he is not available to respond is cowardly.

• Aquil: I don't agree with that COWARDLY LINE!!!

This is a FORUM where PEOPLE from all over THE WORLD discuss THINGS and PEOPLE PAN. And this election is a crucial election so anybody who has an opinion or criticism of a candidate or a manifesto -- they have the freedom to express themselves ... whether they could support their arguments or not.

Look I always attack KEITH DIAZ and DOLLY and both ah dem will never come on THIS FORUM to defend themselves. It is just an OPINION BOARD that reflects the thoughts of the PAN COMMUNITY

I tried to listen to the WACK INTERVIEW but it cut out on me. And I am very curious to know MUCH MORE about MR. KEITH BYER -- and I am sure that a lot of people on THIS FORUM would like to learn more about him.

My main interest (and many others on THIS FORUM are on the same page) is to see PAN TRINBAGO run an HONEST operation and REPRESENT THE PLAYERS above THE EXECUTIVE POCKETS.

It just seems that there is a WHOLE NORTH MOVEMENT against KEITH BYER ... so we better wash the linens and make sure they are clean when they sit in the PRESIDENT'S CHAIR.

This reply was deleted.