"BIG 5" STEELBANDS START FOUNDATION

This is big news for Cecil. And for me: Somebody is finally talking about MARKETING STEELBAND MUSIC. But they still need a lot of help from the EXPATS and I don't know if they even know that!!!

"It is also the foundation's objective to include bands from across the globe and to MARKET STEELBAND MUSIC ..."

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/20170518/features/8216big-58217-steelbands-start-foundation

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Before a group can enter the open society, it must first close ranks." Stokely Carmichael 

Good luck to the Big 5 Foundation. This is absolutely fantastic. 

• Newsday just like commess, why did they ask Boogsie in the first place? because they knew that was the kinda answer they would get. Newsday has to continue trying to get Mr Mohammed if they really want an answer.

• Claude:

I interrogated my gut on this one, and it tells me, something is not quite right.

In the first place, it's not clear WHO is behind this. Why would they hide that, if not because the consumer of this information would look at the whole thing differently otherwise?

Secondly, the aims of the Foundation appear to tread into areas that are the prerogative of Pan Trinbago. If PT is not performing as desired, there is a constitutionally established procedure to evict the incumbent executive. That would be the proper and principled way to deal with PT shortcomings.

Thirdly, to the extent the aims of the Foundation are those of a commercial music impresario, there is no need to establish a Foundation to achieve those aims. Amral Khan took Guinness Cavaliers on a world-wide tour whenever that was back in the late 60s. No Foundation was necessary. Just put up the money and organization and do it. Take the risk, earn the reward, or suffer the loss.

Therefore, all is not as it appears with the formation of this Foundation.

Therefore, I will go with my gut, and with my nose.

I know it all looks very nice. As the Americans say, "what's not to like!?", Nevertheless, something wrong.

T&T steelband music is indeed a big plum, looking bigger and juicier by the day. There will be those who want to t'ief it, reap what they didn't sow. One way to do that is to do an end-run around Pan Trinbago and the constituency it represents, thereby to secure a near-monopoly, and to gain thereby commercial advantage. I object to that.

Now, I have no problem with a local or even international impresario doing it the old-fashioned way, as did Amral Khan so many decades ago, albeit to apparently no lasting success.

Submitted for what it's worth...

-Big Sid

P.S. I carry no brief for Pan Trinbago, and certainly not for the present incumbents. But I have a thing about principle.

• -Big Sid: I have to copy your choice of words and say that I interrogated my gut over the use of the word "FOUNDATION" for hours last night. So I have to agree with you that no foundation was necessary. They are scheduled to give a PRESS CONFERENCE in the near future; so maybe we will get more clarity then.

Newsday mentioned in an article that they asked BOOGSIE about the "FOUNDATION" and he replied with a "doh ask me nothing" go and ask so and so. All you points are on point.

But given the stagnancy of the PAN MOVEMENT I have to remind myself that more is lost from INACTION than from ACTION. So I am looking forward to the press conference and the musical composition and the first concert.

• "Newsday mentioned in an article that they asked BOOGSIE about the "FOUNDATION" and he replied with a "doh ask me nothing" go and ask so and so."

Thanks Claude. Exactly. That kind of reply vindicates my gut, which I have learned over the years to trust...

-Big Sid

• so let's call it the DAMN foundation. The Doh Axe Me Notting foundation. TOXIC.
    • Thanks Big Sid! My exact sentiments. Why do we encourage splinters or tribalism? Go with your gusts, Man!

• Ayesha, you and Big Sid have expressed what I've been thinking when I first read the objectives.

Thanks for keep it real...I wanted to blame the author of the article for not probing thoroughly, thinking it a press release for the promotion of the Pan Concert. CIP and XL4PAN did their shows and listed their management teams including their mission statement. We all know players have not been paid for their work. Where is the start-up funding coming from, the sponsors???

International Steelband Foundation

Bringing their bands together under one flag will make it possible to share ideas, bring their skills together and work at making those ideas come to life as a team.

The foundation lunch will be celebrated through the Big 5 – The Pan Concert on July 22

The bands will be presenting a varied repertoire and will include guest artistes as part of their

performances.

We do remember these topics recently...Pan Trinbago goes global.

The PAN TRINBAGO crisis is nothing short of DEPRESSING

https://whensteeltalks.ning.com/forum/topics/pan-trinbago-goes-global 

https://whensteeltalks.ning.com/forum/topics/the-pan-trinbago-cirsis...

• Thanks Ayesha.

Sometimes I think T&T  stands for Twisty and Twirly. Every little thing tends to end up so twisted and screwed up...

-Big Sid

• One small step for man, one giant step for pan.

It's about time the pan people took matters into their own hands.

The logistics of it will be huge but if done properly, it will be a quantum leap forward compared to what has happened with pan over the past years.

The founding members have access to great advice from the beginning, let's hope they take advantage of that and keep away from the self interest and bickering.

If they really do this seriously it could have far reaching implications. The marketing aspect of it has to be well handled, but all of the 'Big 5' are sponsored bands and have access to people who think that way already.

But the purity of the pan has to be maintained.

Pan is unique and it's special.

All the talk about electronic simulators and digital pan is pure nonsense. That has its own niche but can never replace the real thing.

Nobody will pay to go hear a symphony concert played on synthesizers, no matter how accurate the simulation and small pan sides should only be a novelty.

Pan benefits from a minimum number of players, mostly because of the individual ranges of the instruments themselves, but it is the only instrument that can be assembled into a symphonic format using the same instrument.

Most large bands resort to using different types of instruments to create a balanced sound. In a pan orchestra all the musical instruments are the same and they create the sound of the orchestra together.

Small ensembles have their place but the full effect of the pan is only realized with at least 20 players.

Adding other instruments is only a fad or a hook to attract a different audience.

Pan lovers want to hear pan and the further its exploited the more satisfied they are. Whether it's arrangement, speed, complexity, or whatever you judge it by, people want to hear pan played well.

Just as people pay to hear large orchestral music as well as intimate concerts, so should we think about the potential for pan.

Large band concerts, small club ensembles, single pan performances, along with the required tuners, builders, teachers, scoring and transposing, music books, there is so much that can be done with pan.

The remarkable and virtually serendipitous arrangement of the circle of fifths and fourths makes it such an easy instrument to engage with, which is why it has become so popular.

Pan is relegated to the bottom of the heap in its own birthplace, but is revered the world over.

As usual we have not given it its due no exploited it to the fullest. It's almost as if we don't know what we have.

The potential is huge. Just imagine if everyone in the world decided to take up the pan... and why not.

Maybe this is the opportunity that was waiting to be grabbed.

Let's hope they make a good fist of it.

This reply was deleted.