BOOGSIE SHARPE EXPLAINS THE MUSIC

"The truth is even my original compositions have become a comfort zone and the challenge is to be recognized for extending the boundaries of what exists.

In the end we will all be remembered for pushing the boundaries of our comfort zones. Learning is in what you do not already know or have not already done.

To all not in their comfort zone stay strong."

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It's not tune but the arrangement.if you can't come up the standard of the other band ,don't go there.boogsie failed badly.any band can play the tune,it's just not in competition,then you will be judged by all stars standard ( which is next to impossible,tone,arr,mood,)
  • Can anybody think of seeing Boogsie run last with Phase2, is that possible or is it improbable? They say "it almost happen"

• Cecil

I have to agree with you, that was a poor choice by  Boogsie, to do a version of woman on the bass better than All Stars is almost impossible.

•   Phase II Pan Groove, seen here rehearsing before their performance on the Queen's Park Savannah Stage at the International Panorama Competition, August 9th 2015. They played "Woman On The Bass" arranged by Lennox 'Boogsie' Sharpe....

• ODW, ah pardner heard Phase2 at practice the night before and at ah certain time the whole background Crash, he knew then that the band wasn't ready, 

• Bede Lopez,

At a certain part of their stage performance they had a falter with the riddim section beating out of pitch with the band. Listen to the 6.39 to 6.45 and tell me if the riddim section was not off beat.

• Y should Sharpe have to Xplain his music, won't U ALL listening ???

• In panorama,it is one thing to play an old tune, even one that was played in a previous panorama.

It is quite another thing  to play a much heralded, former winning tune.

There is no way to avoid it  being compared to the original, and suffer from such comparison.

And indeed, consciously or not, it could almost be considered a challenge to the original arranger.

(Though I'm not trying in any way to infer  that Boogie meant to challenge the classic arrangement by Smooth).

• Of course it's a challenge but not to the arranger, does Smooth own that arrangement or did Allstars pay for it?

Ok, here is a case to help with my point... How come no one raised this issue with Mosaic going up against

Renegades with Jit's winning arrangement of Pan in a rage and losing or "failing miserably" to dethrone

Renegades....hmmmm... because it's not about the arranger.... the band just came to win. What if Mosaic

delivered a stunningly flawless performance of Pan in a rage and won... then what would have been said? Jit

beat Jit wit he own song boy? OMG! I'm sorry it just doesn't make sense to me. Bands come to panorama

armed to win, that is with arrangers, tuners, uniforms whatever but not arrangers come to panorama armed

with bands. Phase 2 came to the panorama to win and while doing so would have beaten Allstars with a

tune that they previously won with... bragging rights maybe yeah but how could that have "De-classicalized"

(forgive me for the term) Allstars' version??? How can a classic be rendered no longer a classic.... Utter

Nonsense and a waste of intelligent pan conversation people. Competition is beautiful but let's not create

mythical competitions between arrangers just because "de people say".

Love de music Hate de music but let's all have More Pan...  

• This sounds really foolish... You know Mosaic is no Phase II and Pan in a Rage is not Woman on D Bass. I have been all over the world and lived in several European countries. Whenever the topic of Pan came up like football and Barcelona or Man United the only Steel bands known were Despers and All Stars and the only tune know was Woman on D Bass.  

This reply was deleted.