Nine times Panorama Champions Bp Renegades Steel Orchestra flew out of Trinidad on January 26 to participate in the 2011 staging of the Folle Journee Classical Music Festival in France. Led by Captain Candice Andrews, the group comprises of tenor players Levi Ettienne, Kain Cox, Marvis Mohammed, Micahi Felician and Kershiff Perry; Double-tenor player Cleveland King and Anthony Lewis; as well as double-guitar players Jessica Bentick and Lisa Dureaux. The bassists are Kayesha Ollivierre, Ayesha Moses, Joel Allick and Rudolph Grant. Also making the trip are cellist Anthony Crichlow, Stacey Doughlin and Aaron Franklin; percussionist Andrew Brumant, and Kaaron Romain, together with Double-second players Ishmael Wharton and Captain Candice Andrews.

During its ten day stay in the Pays de la Loire region of Western France the band will present fourteen concerts under the baton of Musical Director/Conductor Desmond Waithe. The first will be staged on January 28 at La Flèche in north-western France. They next travel to the town of Cholet, which lies along the Moine River, then to Challans and finally to Nantes, Capital City of the Pays de la Loire region and the 6th largest in France.

Renegades first appearance at the Folle Journee Classical Festival was back in January/February of  2008, when they were required to perform a repertoire consisting solely of compositions by Franz Schubert. The stage side of the band, as a consequence, missed the finals of the National Panorama Finals on Carnival Saturday night, which drew mixed reactions from their many fans and well-wishers here in Trinidad. They again appeared at Folle Journee in 2009, this time playing a repertoire of music by Sebastian Bach and again in 2010 performing the works of Frédéric Chopin and Franz Liszt. This year the repertoire of music to be played is that of Gustav Mahler, Anton Bruckner and Richard Strauss.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Best of luck Renegades although I know that it is not all luck but the hard work put in over the years.I am sure that all pan players join with me in saying that you all are going to blow their minds.GOD be with you.
  • Looking forward to purchasing a copy of a CD by at least the end of February, 2011. Hurry and get back soon...safe and sound.

All the best!

• This is the type of exposure that we all need and it may also be a marketing tool for Panorama and Tourism.
  • Does anyone know if there will be recordings made of these performances?
  • These pannist are looking towards an international future and you can't blame them for that - plus it's giving them an income.  This also means that they give the younger pannist in Renegades a chance to improve their playing and position in the band by playing for Panorama.   Good for them!!!

• This is so wonderful.Pan at another level. Go on Renegades panorama will always be there.
This reply was deleted.