Buh Wha' DIAZ Is Dis? Pan In Danger!

Home

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2011/10/07/critical-shortage-drums-steelpans

Sometimes, I wonder if people understand the function of Pan Trinbago. Obviously, this "leader" does not, good intentions or otherwise. Oftentimes, I wonder if we all understand what "leadership" means. What does it mean to be a leader? What (exactly) are "leadership" qualities?

Adages and clichés are often hackneyed, but the old saying is (thus) true: Those who forget the past... I'll save you all the boredom of completing this archaic phrase. Regardless, it remains a fact that Pan Trinbago has not had any credible leadership for decades. This is not arbitrary, for in the early 70s, Pan Trinbago became the "bride" of the PNM and its leader. This, the political "booty" of a previous battle between Pan Trinbago's father (NATTS), and her new husband. (And Revelation is fullfilled!!!) However, the groom (a LEADER, nonetheless), never loved his new bride, and the marriage, nothing more than a juxtaposed arrangement. (Yuh mean like getting marrid fuh meh green card? Yes.) A controlling, calculated and calculating husband, who could do his wife anything. Promise her anything for political sex, and when he done with her, she's left there by herself, politically and organizationally illiterate, confused; with no "head" on her metaphoric shoulders. 

Yet another adage: The only thing constant is change. An organization is supposed to evolve; adjust to the opportunities and challenges of time. True leaders are able to mobilize a unified and collective membership into action. Today, there is no "movement". If you're not moving forward, then, in reality, you're actually moving backward, for life and time "tarries not with yesterday". (Cliché.) With forums such as WST, we are seeing all kinds of great ideas, coming from members who are genuine in their search for solutions to the issues and challenges we face as pan continues to move through this 21st century. I hope that we can take this beyond discussion and rhetoric, for, as we see, Pan In Danger!

P.S. Please don't forget to support our local pan manufacturers. BUY LOCAL!

Pant'um - The Ghost Who Talks. (Honoring the legacy of George "Sonny" Goddard.)

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gypsy: "A person who moves from place to place as required for employment." 

A few months ago, I posted this comment on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=283531854924&topic=13315

I do not trust that Gypsy has the best interests of the panist in heart; he has no history of any relationship with steelband, and he reminds me of Republican nominee, Herman Cain. (Good ole "house negroes", who dislike their "Africaness".) I'm sure if Gypsy had the choice, he would have been born an East Indian. At least. But that's just my opinion.

On that topic, can anyone tell me why so many of our East Indian countrymen in South Florida are so racist? Why do our African countrymen suck up so much to East Indians? We quick to put on Chutney, and support their roti shops, and they still make it obvious that they don't respect people of African descent. Did Cro Cro's "Lick Bottom Africans" all immigrate to Miami? It is so blatant, and I am always insulted when people from other countries (including the Caribbean) think that Trinidadians are of East Indian descent. To my East Indian family, please do not think that I am prejudice against you. I am appealing to your decency, that you stop being prejudice against us. We accepted your culture as a part of us; can you accept our (African) culture: religion, dress, foods, music, etc., as being a part of you? Afro-Trinbagonians have done our part to support you and your businesses. Enough with your clannishness; embrace African culture! Ase.

• George I think  U R going to get in trouble................................again LMAO!
      • Yep. The price for being COURAGEOUS!

"I'll never forget (no way), they crucified Jessus Christ. and I'll never forget (no way), they sold Marcus Garvey for rice..." Bob Marley, So Much Things To Say. (Question: Who are the "they" that Bob was referring to?)

Even when threatened, the brave still speak out. I know who I am, and where I stand in the struggle i.e. the Steelband Movement. More power to the courageous among us!!!

Yes, I do have SO MUCH THINGS TO SAY RIGHT NOW!

• One cannot and must not run away from the truth,,,it,s as simple as that,,,.we can run ,,we can hide ,,,but as another day dawns ,,it,s right up in our face ,,never ending until we face up ,,,admit and rectify what is wrong,,simple.
          • Exactly, Jerome. BTW - Know what I had for lunch yesterday? Roti. I support my East Indian family, who embrace all people. That is why the only roti shops I go to in South Florida are those where I really get a feel that they genuinely love people. The first time I went to the Coal Pot, over 15 years ago, the owner Jameel was very welcoming, and people from all backgrounds would lime there. He would play reggae, calypso and soca, pan music, and of course, chutney and Indian music. He was very proud of his East Indian heritage, but he shared it with love, and embraced other people's cultures and religious beliefs. One thing I have noticed here, is that the only Trinis I hear using the C-word, are East Indian; the word "Coolie" seems not to offend Jamaican East Indians, and "yardies" use it freely. I am different. My parents brought us up differently, and my three brothers and I, had (and still have) friends of every ethnic and socio-economic background. Closing this topic, I leave ALL a link to one short "poem" that describes my views on "race" and racism. We are more than panists/pannists; we are agents for positive social change. Ase.

https://www.facebook.com/ggoddard1/posts/274718575892479

• This is my history.certain food that i never ate at my mothers home ,,,i  ate  at the indians home and had slept there also as a  youth,,i was brought up between indians in guyana,,,had and can still play,, arrange and train individuals to play indian music on the steelpan entirely,,,,now here it comes,,from day one ,the only person that ever took part in these discussions was PATRICK  RAMDOO,i do presume that he is of indian origin,,further i had stated that JIT   SAMAROO,,,LEN  B  SHARP,,the professor,,,,ALL STEELPAN TUNERS   AND   ARRANGERS  OUGHT TO  BE  HONOURED  BEFORE THEY   DIE,,DEAD,,DEAD,,DEAD,,,,for of what use  is it  to honour someone when they are already  deceased,,,,,they can enjoy no fruit of their hard labour,,,,,,going further,,i,m not on this site to play games and to withhold the  the truth,,,as a father  and grandfather of grandchildren,,namely  of indian,,,,negro and amerindian parentage,,i cannot discriminate  for i,m the owner of all my kids and grand  kids,,ONE BLOOD,,,what is portrayed on this  website relevant to the steelpan is no support or comment by any indian individual,,,,only Patrick Ramdoo,,,for verification of all of my comments or blogs ,,anyone can review my blogs,,the main and or the forum,,,,,,THE   GHOST THAT SPEAKS   ,,,DO  SPEAK  THE TRUTH,,,,and as a TRUE PANMAN,,i do support THE GHOST THAT SPEAKS,,,the days of slavery is abolished,everyone is free to speak their minds,as long it,s the truth,,i do speak for all steelpan players,,arrangers ,, supporters  and tuners,,,,the truth shall set us free,,,,,there is more to come,,god bless us all,for with him  we are nothing,,,god bless.  
        • Ah big can of worms, should we go down that street? we will sure learn a lot but what can we gain from it.
          • Any lesson is a gain, Cecil. As the Prophet says: Pain is "the breaking of the shell that encloses your understanding." We all know the phrase No pain, no ___.  We ALL need to understand that the steeldrum or pan, is an Afro-Trinidadian invention and contribution, to our arts and culture, which came out of the slave-class rebellious desire to beat their African rhythms. So the banning of skin drums and, eventually, rustic bamboo instruments, led to the beating of steel. This was what Gordon Rohler refers to as the "jamette class", and can be evidenced in today's jab-jab and jumbolase. (Excuse the spelling.) Why are the contributions of people of African descent removed from history? "ALL AH WE IS ONE FAMILEE!! PAN IS AH TRINI TING!" Yep, only because "Black" people invented it. I'm sure 1,000 years from now, a tassa drum will still be considered an East Indian instrument, and chutney as Indian music. It's not just even pan. Carnival is now being advertised as a Caribbean festival. Don't get me wrong, I love all my Caribbean neighbors, just as much as I love my East Indian Trini family. But, day by day, Trinidad & Tobago is being written out of history's memory when it comes to Carnival. A process that has already been done to the "black man", with his invention of THE SINGING DRUM. Pan.

Learn to embrace Africa's and her Diaspora's rich history and culture. You will gain your freedom from racism, prejudice, and modern falsification. Ase.

P.S. This was painful for me too.

• As organizations that represent their members, both the AFM (American Federation of Musicians) and the NBPA (National Basketball Players Association), function as labor unions, and are not profit driven. The function of Pan Trinbago's parents (the Steelbands Association and NATTS), was the same: represent the interests of their membership. 

QUESTION: What do you feel would have been the current conditions for local and international panists, if Pan Trinbago built off the "workers' union model", and established affiliations with the AFM and other musicians' unions worldwide?

I humbly disagree with the argument that Pan Trinbago (or any "union") could function dually as a union and a for-profit organization. The very concept contradicts itself by definition, and create conflict-of-interest issues. What I suggest, as referenced in the "Blueprint" I published on this forum, is that the individual (bands and panists) should function as for-profit businesses and professional musicians, by incorporating, hiring agents and other business and legal professionals, and running as any other for-profit business. Now, to assume a business should not seek government assistance is naive, because all industries have businesses that seek government assistance, especially small start-up companies. The government has a responsibility, in my opinion, to support and assist companies that need the help. As an example, we all know about "de Mas Camp", and "Smokey & Bunty". Why can't panyards be utilized in the same way; as year-round liming spots with full liquor licenses, a stage for live performances, home dj, etc.?  They could be rented out, and could even have their own recording studio right in the panyard. They can even have "classrooms" for year-round music training and instruction, which they can advertise internationally. The key, is that it is the individual (bands and panists) that should be responsible for building their business into successful enterprises. The role of the "union" (Pan Trinbago), can then adhere to its definition, by being "watchdogs", negotiators, and advocates, for and on behalf of, panists. Finally, if the "union" is to represent panists globally (which is the claim made by Pan Trinbago), then the name of the organization should reflect such, e.g. the International Federation of Panists  (IFP), or something like that. But "Trinbago" is just that. Trinidad & Tobago, and Pan Trinbago does not govern nor represent me. I am still unclear as to whom and/or what they represent.

http://www.nbpa.org/what-we-do

http://www.afm.org/about/our-history

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_union

https://whensteeltalks.ning.com/forum/topics/steel-pan-blueprint-for-1

• How could PAN best be served? How can Pan Trinbago be transformed into a worthwhile body protecting the industry and its personnel? When will they become self-sufficient? All these questions can be answered with a change in selfish attitudes. Attitudes which stemmed from a lack of respect for the pioneers and innovators, a gross incompetence in how to conduct business ventures, very low self-esteem and a willingness to be easily pleased and satisfied with mediocrity. All of these traits can be traced back to a country whose population totally misunderstood the meaning of “MASA DAY DONE” and “independence” and politicians who to this day are not in it for the greater good but for themselves.

We are top of the tree when it comes to imitating others. However unlike the Japanese of the 1950s we lacked the foresight and the ambition to not only imitate but to perfect.

I hazard a guess most of the Trinis in positions of power today did not spend any time having to commute in wintry conditions to work for a living in either Europe or North America. They have not had to graft to put food on the table, educating their children so that they would have a better life. They do not know the meaning of sacrifice.

Like a great majority of Expatriates in the 50s 60s & 70s I too should have made efforts to return to the home land and make the difference. But as those who did try were faced with “WE LIKE IT SO “attitudes of the poor and un-educated we left behind, we soon realised that their minds had been turned by the shallow promises of the bob-all ridden ones they stupidly trusted.

I’m afraid that the follies of the last 50 years will take at least twice as long to overcome. Either that or catastrophic disaster followed by real hardship to put things right.

As far as Pan is concerned, it may still be popular in T&T in the next 10 -20 years or so but it will lose its novelty value as the rest of the world moves on.

Already throughout Europe the Hang Drum is more frequently seen on the streets played by buskers than the steel pan will ever be; despite there being hundreds of steel bands across the continent.

It is probably far too late for the Petro-dollars to make a difference. The Government is still selling off our drilling fields to the Cobeauxs from the industrial world. While all the while they pretend to be striving towards “Developed Nation” status. Tobagonians try to make something of their beleaguered Tourist Industry in the current economic climate.

I very much doubt whether any of this will be seen, read or understood by Mr Diaz but I can but hope.

There is nothing wrong in providing laptops for the school children, but I would have complemented it with a Tenor Pan.

I purposely omitted to mention the CRIME word but….

My Friends it’s not just Pan in Danger!

RandiSC

This reply was deleted.