Calypso Monarch show too long.

Six hours was way too long for the Calypso Monarch Show. It was as long as the last Dimanche Gras Show.Apart from the top four , the quality of most of the other singers was indeed weak, to put it mildly.

Better planning is a must if this show is to survive on it's own.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• PLUS/// SINGERS SINGING OFF KEY AND WINING ONE MILLION//// STANDARD IS NO CLASS

• It's not too long, it's just that it should be mandatory that the second round be uptempo. I really like Pink Panther but a crying  

song in the second round was a bit too much. Political, Social commentaries in the first round is great but to keep my attention give me some pep in the second round. No more crying. That's the way it was years ago and it was really entertaining. Bring it back. 

• I agree. It was like another Dimanche Gras Show.

TUCO must learn from the Calypso Fiesta where tons of patrons pay their money to hear the TOP 40 CALYPSOES  of the year, not necessarily the top 40 calypsonians. In doing soTUCO should revisit One Song (with more competitors) which it was in the beginning, if we want to consider tradition. Over the years the best song of the year has not always come away with the prize. Simple maths tells us that the sum of 75 and 75 is greater than the sum of 100 and 40.

• THESE CALYSOES THE JUDGES PICK WAS SO BORING THAT I FELL ASLEEP/// THESE JUDGES KILLING THE ART FORM... THAT NIGHT I END UP WATCHING AUSTRALIA BEATING WEST INDIES WITH WAS JUST AS BORING, BUT I GIVE CRICKET THE EDGE....

• the standard has certainly dropped in recent years at an appalling rate. In 2011, i took some visiting friends to dimanche gras and we were BORED TO DEATH. Furthermore in their estimation , they couldn't understand why bENJAI  didn't win the crown with all that crowd response and great melody. I tried to explain things to them but their remarks really set me thinking.  In general ,calypso and soca have become so polarised now  that most calypsoes have weak melodies or vibe or punchline or god knows what. Then on the other hand in soca, we have been getting some  sweeter melodies ,plenty vibes but in most cases, devoid of good lyrics. I would like to see more Benjai's ( Trini) , Kes (This feeling) , Machel (Magic drum), KMC ( First experience) , Rudder (trini to de bone & collab . Live yuh life). Iwould like to see more of these 'soca artistes' dare to enter the calypso competition despite whatever  the prevailing rules. In this way , our soca artistes will be more encouraged to do at least one song relating to telling a story or relating an experionce with vigour. This may force the calypso purists to pep up their music.Let's not forget Shadow's victory some year's ago.  Also please remember that after all, a calypso is a SONG first. We don't want to be denied the right to hum, sing, chip, tap  or move to it!!!!!!   All of this I've been able to do with my favourite calypso classics!!!!!!

• It was very boring! If it wasn't then no-one would complain about its length! It was a great advertisement to the fact that traditional kaiso is dying! Many of the songs were so similar!!

• Calypso may have lost most of its commercial value but it will never die!! Thankfully people like Relator, Superior and many others are keeping it going. They, along with David Rudder, did a great performance last week on Andy Narrell's show and I'm sure that some of the younger folks in attendance were impressed enough to join the movement to keep it alive and kicking. You'll also find it in little pockets on some of the other islands. Like diamonds, gold and most things of real value, you have to look for it to find it. By the way, I ran into Ron Berridge, who also also attended the show and brought back some precious memories of big band instrumental calypso. We need to revive that too!!

• Nah! Not too long, not too short,  but a tad boring. NO GOV"T, NO TOPIC, NO SHOW. Cut the props and insert intelligence. Voila! Was this a million dollar payback for lending the TUCO presidency?

This reply was deleted.