Trinidad &Tobago Guardian

Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. -  Former Calypso monarch Dr Leroy Calliste (Black Stalin) had a stroke on Sunday night but is improving quickly and could be discharged today or tomorrow. “He is stable. He is speaking. He had his lunch and he is improving very quickly,” said Dr Anand Chatoorgoon, medical director, San Fernando Teaching Hospital. Stalin, who celebrates his 73rd birthday tomorrow, Republic Day, had a mild stroke that affected his right side.

Chatoorgoon said Calliste was fully conscious, although a stroke could affect a person’s ability to swallow and eat on his own. “We have found a bed for him in the new teaching hospital and we are doing everything to make him comfortable because after all he is one of our icons and we are certainly going to take wonderful and loving care of him,” he said. But Stalin’s wife, Patsy Calliste, is urging the nation to continue to pray for his full recovery.
read more

Trinidad Express Newspapers

Calypsonian Black Stalin suffers stroke

Calypso icon and veteran calypsonian and former Calypso Monarch Black Stalin (Leroy Calliste) performs in July at the opening of the Emancipation Village at the Queen’s Park Savannah, Port of Spain.Trinidad & Tobago, W.I. -  Calypsonian Black Stalin (Leroy Calliste) has suffered a mild stroke.

He was taken to hospital on Sunday night after displaying signs of a stroke. Stalin, 72, is being treated at the San Fernando General Hospital where he is in a stable condition.

His daughter Keina Calliste told the Express yesterday her father returned home at about 10 p.m. after performing at an event in Couva.

Calliste said: “He performed at a show in Couva last night and when he came back home, he began experiencing some pains in his back. He just came and laid down for a bit and then from what we observed, it just looked like he was having a stroke. He sort of froze a bit and he was not responding so we had to contact the ambulance.
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Black man stay strong. You are in my prayers.

Owen

• Yes!  My Brother, we look forward to as many more years of sweet kaiso from you, Black Stalin, if possible. Blessings!

• I wish Stalin a speedy recovery, and also a Very Happy Birthday, may the Good Lord look over you and give you the strength to give us many more tunes for 2015. God bless.
  • Happy Birthday Black Man.Let Dorothy wait, she wants to cause a stroke in your one throat.Full recovery ahead!

• Wishing you a speedy and strong recovery. The good vibes of the people are with you. Stay strong.

• My thoughts and prayers are with you BLACKMAN. God vibrations are coming at you. Wishing for your speedy recovery.

GLEN

• Black man gotta keep on jamming , come with it

• Blessing n more blessing my brother.
  • Stay Strong Black Stalin.

• Black Stalin you are in my thoughts and sending you vibrations of good health and long life.

This reply was deleted.