Close Encounter of the First kind..

Hi Folks. On a recent visit to Canada, the present captain of Starlift, Mike Franco,embraced the opportunity to visit and formally meet the original founder and and first captain  of Starlift, Albert "philo" James. Franco heard a great deal about" Philo". but never met him,so it was with great anticipation that a meeting was arranged at the home of Martin Albino in Montreal,needless to say , the conversation lasted for several hours  actually into the wee hours of the morning, centered around the evolution of Starlift from it's inception to the present time. I was fortunate to be around this remarkable encounter and I  gained a wealth of knowledge. Starlift recently celebrated over fifty years of existence. martin Albino

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The fist Pan Yard I hung out in was Starlift when Ray was in charge...  I used to make runs to the shop for a flask and cigs for Charlo as he promised to "learn" us some "bomb" tunes on the base for de road...  Soon after being scolded by an aunt for being seen hanging out with bad johns in "a" pan yard, I shifted gears to move over when Boogsie headed off to start-up Phase 2...  Lots of good memories... 

• When I visited Starlift pan yard for the carnival season everything there appears to be so slow & worn, even the music lacks spirit. I remember the days  when Starlift and Phase 11, both bands were the flagship of the WEST where the Panorama competitions were concerned. You could have seen the pride in both steelbands to represent Woodbrook. What has gone wrong with Starlift? It seems that they have lost their way somewhat. Management, please wake up and do something about Starlift before T&T loose one of its flagship steelbands.

• In order to know where you are going one must know where you came from, so Martin I thank you for making it possible for these two men to meet. Philo was captain of StarLift the first year I became a member. I have fond memories of those days, I am fortunate to have played pan with one of the best steelbands in T&T in the "hayday" of the steelband,  that is priceless. Mr Franco as a past member who would like to see Starlift back in the "big five" nominate Ray or Haffers to get us there.

• Martin,I spent some time with Franco on his return to Toronto from Montreal and he was still on cloud 9.  He had met Hamilton "Web" Alexander here the day before he left for Montreal, so he felt like his trip was more than worth it  Earlier this evening Philo shared with me how much he enjoyed the "meeting of Starlift captains - past and present". Good stuff!

• Hi Franko,

Belated welcome to Montreal. I had no idea that you were in town and by Martin or I would have droped by to say hi. Nuff respect to Philo also.

Last year after being invited by Liam Teague, I had the good pleasure of playing with Starlift for the Panorama finals. I enjoyed the Good vibes at the Starlift Pan Yard...Regards .....Salah

• Mr. Albino, I am a member of Starlift and have also heard of Mr. James but never knew what he looked like, so thank you for  this piece of a wonderful puzzle.  Would have loved to have been a fly on that wall!!!!

This reply was deleted.