This is not my topic!!! I am just following the orders of Ms. Gillian Bishop as she wants a musical discussion integrated into the back and forth. Earlier today I made a call for KNOWLEDGEABLE MUSIC PEOPLE on the forum to come forward and discuss the 2018 Panorama Performances.

Ms. Bishop took the initiative and drew a musical comparison between Renegades and Desperadoes when she said that one band used the song to reflect the violence in the society and the other chose to represent the sweet voice of VOICE.

What are your thoughts and interpretations of the performances.

(Gillian: You just put me in a trap because merrytonestothebone and doctor delight just waiting for me to say the wrong thing about RENEGADES and they want to chop off my head. But that is OKAY!!! No rank!!! I just try to keep the forum going -- not just at PANORAMA.)

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This shoot out this year reminds me of 1985 when these two stalwart orchestras played the same tune and wound up in a dead heat. Gillian Bishop’s and all points of view are well taken but predicting a blowout by Renegades is a risky proposition 

Simply because it diminishes the excellence and ability of our community of arrangers to perform that special magic on the big night. In short I am not handing this one away to any one in particular since a lot can go right or wrong in a final- night performance. Whoever wins will have to put down work because the points are not cumulative and what went before counts for nothing in the minds of the judges since they will have new music sheets handed to them on the big day. So I suggest that we let the music play and may the best band win.They are all a wonderful tribute to our culture and our magical national instrument. God bless them all.

• This could well be the subject of another post. Some bands are famous for their cone-behind wins and these final night bands are legendary. The most famous of these are All Stars and Desperadoes. When they “see the wire” anything is possible. On the other hand, Boogsie can effect a complete do over of his tune in these last days and Skiffle are “smelling blood” this year. It’s going to be a very competitive final!

• Kentish: That was a NICE PASSAGE!!! I enjoyed reading it!!! Even though I believe that SECRETARIAT done FLY THE GATE and RACE DONE!!!

• Miss Gillian

Gillian: I have a joke for you. If when you were a CHILD they had taught you to play BASEBALL you might have turned out to be one of the BEST BASEBALL HITTERS EVER!!!

WHY???

Because you could recognize a BALL from a STRIKE!!!

• Funny!

• Too much old talk, one of the best semifinals in years. lots of nice old time calypso's being played by the medium bands, from Arrow's Long time to Brigo's Limbo Break being played by four times winners Pan Elders. Pan Elders are way out in front and about to make it #5, my 3 picks for the Large Bands is Renegades, Desperadoes and Phase 2 or Renegades Phase 2 Desperadoes.

• Renegades - Year For Love

Despers - Year For Love

• Claude...according to our dear friend from the Southland Aquil...You really have a knack for chaining up people...When Despers won Panorama in 1976 with Pan in Harmony, there was no need for comparison. When they again won in 1999 with In My House, there was no need for comparison. When All Stars won in 1980 and 1981 with Woman on the Bass and Unknown Band respectively no one dared compare them to any other band. So tell me now. Why in 2018 are you trying to lead people into believing that any other band can compare with Renegades? Eh?...you only like baccahanal oui?...

• Merrytones

Renegades sound real good. But you being the veteran that you are, know full well that the order of appearance will be a critical factor in this Panorama. I can't see anyone playing in position 1 and holding on to win.

bugs

• Despers did it with Musical Volcano so not impossible.

But your point well taken

This reply was deleted.