When Steel Talks extends our sincere condolences to the family and friends of Asami Nagakiya.

by Ron Tiah

Ron Tiah's photo.

Ron Tiah to Asami Nagakiya

For Asami :
She was a special young lady, a dedicated pannist who played not only for our Panorama, but year round in her home country of Japan. Asami devoted her life to music, and she chose our national instrument, the steel pan as her first choice of instruments.

She was one of my favorite players at the Silver Stars Panyard, amongst many. I am deeply saddened at the news that the body of the masquerader found at the Savannah, was that of Asami's; she was in love with our music, the steelbands, our people, our culture, and this kept her coming back year after year.

Those of us who knew her will surely remember her warm and friendly, even playful smile which she wore most of the time !! She always had a polite greeting for everyone she came into contact with, she was a gentle musical soul who played each note with love and passion, for our music.

Some of us that would be at the panyard nightly enjoying the sweet sounds of steel, will know of her dedication, she was there every evening from early and left only at the end of practice. She always had a smile for my camera, and one of my fondest memories of her will always be two years ago when she ran over to me singing 'Ron you were on Japanese TV with Ayako Imoto, you are a star' .... She laughed, we hugged and she went back into the band to practice !!

We the people of Trinidad and Tobago have lost a very special friend, and musician from Japan. I am deeply saddened at this loss and pray that her soul finds eternal rest, I know her spirit will always be at our Panorama events and we shall remember you fondly Asami, may you rest in peace.

Ron

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• RIP little one. Justice will be served. Condolences to your family in Japan and Trinidad and the diaspora. All pan people is family.. I trust you will rest in peace in paradise knowing that those who hurt you will be swiftly punished. Hold tight Silver Stars. You lost one star on earth but gained an additional star in heaven.

• I am saddened and I extend my sincere condolences to her family and to the Silver Stars family...I remember visiting the Pan Yard and seeing her smiling as she played. So very sad 

• Condolences and strength to her loved ones.

• My family and I send out our heart felt condolences to the families of Ms. Nagakiya, in Japan and Silver Stars. So much about instances like this just leave you speechless, a young woman is in Trinidad to enjoy the time there playing pan and mas, to then end up killed in the Savannah. I think about her mother and father in Japan hearing this news, so sad.

• It is indeed unfortunate that we have lost such a bright and promising young star. On behalf of the members of The Harvard Harps Steel Orchestra I send sincere and deepest condolences to the family and friends of Asami.  She always greeted us with happiness and a genuine smile. You will certainly be missed dear Asami.

• I ,as a born Trini,am truly ashamed,of what happened,to that young lady. I pray that she rests in peace,,,,and that her family ,friends,and country,forgive us as a nation,,and that the police bring to justice ,NOW,,,,the person ,or persons ,responsible for this tragedy. RIP. ASAMI.BLESSINGS.
    • MORNING GLORY: Very few murders are solved in Trinidad; this one will not be solved!!!

• This is a nightmare.

• This news has really hurt my heart deeply. My condolences to her family, the Pan players of Japan and  the steelbands of T&T especially Silver Stars. We all have lost a family member in her.

• Condolence to the family of this beautiful young lady.

This reply was deleted.