Courtney’s steel drums silenced at the Wanniassa shops

The Canberra Times

Canberra, Australia - Is there anything more evocative or atmospheric than the steel drums? You can almost hear the ocean waves and feel the sun on your skin.

Well, there's no more of that soundtrack to tropical paradise at the Wanniassa shops - it's been silenced.

....Canberra musician Courtney Leiba is a familiar sight at the shops, busking there for at least 20 years, back when the supermarket was a Shop Rite.

....Turning 80 next year, Mr Leiba, originally from the West Indies, has over the course of his career, toured with Liberace and been nominated for a Grammy when playing with the Esso Trinidad Tripoli Steel Band.
read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why is there no solidarity at the very bottom of this mad money making machine?? Just one day without buying anything and they will pay Courtney Leiba for playing there.
    Remenber: "Alle Räder stehen still, wenn dein starker Arm es will." ("All wheels stand still, if your strong arm will.")

• Mr Leiba, open a school!

• This is a very sad but real story. More importantly, it should be a wake-up call to pan players in “foreign lands.” You cannot depend on Pan Trinbago, the World Governing Body for the Steelpan,” or Panorama, to survive as musicians. You have to “adjust to the environment.”  Join musician unions, art councils, form non-profit tax-exempt organizations, etc.

Recently I angered a producer for not wanting to play while people were entering the venue for a show. I stand firm. If there’s a program, and you want to use my band, then we want to be on the program, not entertain people as they enter the venue.

I think it is very sad that today pan players have to play on street corners, etc. for donations from passers-by. That is my personal bias. I represent the National Instrument proudly. 'Nuff said!

• What a crying shame...  :-(

This reply was deleted.