Curtis Pierre, Pan pioneer, has passed

When Steel Talks extends condolences to the family and friends of Pan pioneer Curtis Pierre of Dixieland Steel Orchestra.

More on Curtis Pierre

The acceptance of steelbands grew when middle-class, lighter-skinned, and white young people started getting involved, often over the strenuous objections of their parents, teachers, friends, and relatives. Curtis Pierre became involved in 1949: 
“I took the instrument home and I got enough flak from my parents, ‘What the hell you doing with this thing here? I don’t care who plays that. This is the underprivileged.’” (1983:1). “The grouping in my band would be considered a little above middle class, which was anathema, that kind of thing was just not done by people in that class.” (ibid. :2).

Pierre attributes to his group the change in the degree to which steelbandsmen and women are accepted in society: 
“We have been told it’s because of our group…that… ‘You fellas made a breakthrough. You guys don’t realize what you did. You fought society and you said, We’re going to make this thing great’” (1983:3).

Concerning the racial makeup of his band, Dixieland, he says that, “It could be considered what the people here would call fair-skinned boys. And there was not a predominance of Negroes in it at all, mainly because that was what middle class meant in those days. And that’s true, middle class had a certain color. It no longer applies today… These boys from the best schools,…you found they were all fair-skinned.” (ibid. :6). 

by William R. Aho, Ph.D.

See more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• .  I was a member of Dixieland steelband from 1954 to 1956. I migrated to the USA.   It was a privilege to play with Curtis as the arranger  .  Kenneth Johnson and Miguel Barradas I am speaking for too.  My Condolence to his brother Ian.   Curtis enjoy the new band  you are going to start up there.

• A sad day for all of us who played and were close to Curtis. You know who you are. From Stromboli to Dixieland on the road you brought pride and dignity to all of us from Belmont. Amidst all the highlights of my life, being a musician/pan man with you and later Junior and our stage sides in fetes together at Palm Beach and elsewhere will forever be near the top of the list.

• We have lost a great Pan Pioneer of the years,Condolences to the Pierre family and friends. R.I.P.

• Condolences go out to the Pierre family. The memories of the sounds of Dixieland emanating from Palmiste Street in Belmont remain indelibly ingrained. May his soul Rest In Peace.

• Curtis Pierre, was one of my true friends. He had a great sense of humor and deep knowledge of the Pan. I treasure the times we spent together under his tutorledge playing a variety of tunes on pan with other adults who did not have the time to devote to playing in a steel band. He will be sorely missed. My sincere condolences to his family. May he rest in peace. 

• Now, this is a GREAT COMPLIMENT ...

William Doyle-Marshall RIP. My main memory of this giant was one Carnival Monday morning after he returned to Trinidad. The band played the Halleluia chorus from Woodford Square down into St. James and I jumped to the music without realizing that I was going away from the city. It was great! A cherished memory.
  • My Condolences to the Pierre family on the passing of Curtis. He really did mean a lot to the Pan fraternity and all of it's struggles. Even though I played with Shell Invaders, I used to go up to Belmont many nights to listen to Dixieland which was a joy in itself. Thanks for your contribution to the Pan Movement...... R.I.P. my Brother...............

• ... very sincere, TENIA!!!

• Condolences to the Pierre family and the Belmont community by extension. He and his group did make that breakthrough.

• Condolences to the family on the passing of pan pioneer, Mr. Curtis Pierre.  I met him at his home in 2007; he had a great sense of humour. I called him a few months ago to clarify some history about Dixieland  regarding panorama 1968, he said the 83 year old brain still ticking lol.

This reply was deleted.