David "Splav" Waddell Has Passed On

The Pan World lost one of its iconic figures at 4:00 a.m this morning.  David (QRC) was one of the "College Boys" who contributed to the greater social acceptance of pan in Trinidad and Tobago in the 1950's and beyond.  He played second pan with Invaders, Starlift and then his own Third World.  When he ended his playing days, he served as a Panorama commentator and judge at home and abroad.  Condolences to his family, and may eternal rest be his.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I know this is long overdue, but I want to say a big thank you on behalf of my family for all the kind words you have all expressed about my father, Splav.  We really appreciate your comments more than words can describe

• Condolences to the Mr David Waddell family from the family of Tellison a forde,( young Coye)       " Splav a true and dedicated pan man, unselfish and a no nonsense brother, enjoyed the opportunity to talk with him prior to his transition,Splav had mastered the unique west strum on the second pan,an elder I respect for his contribution to the ancient fraternal brotherhood of the steel ban men and his honest perspective and sincerity as one.             .May you rise as one with the Sun, Giving more lite to every one, Young Coye!!!  So Mote It Be. 

• My condolences to David's family  I met David just before he moved from Invaders. I had my second year at Invaders. he was a genius on the second  and with three sticks. this is great lost.

• National Lottery 3rd World members thank David "Splav" Waddell for his part in the creation of the band and the joy he and the band brought to St. James. Condolences to his family. He was well love and will be missed.  Doomdee

• I was more into mas' and calypso than Pan. Not that I didn't enjoy the music but knew little of its intricacies. By listening to Splav, who was part of the Panorama commentary, that I learned a lot about Pan, things that a seasoned Panman would know. Splav first brought the genius of Alan Gervais to me during a Night of Pan when all the past winners of Panorama played their winning tunes. I got to know him during the early days of Starlift and the Bomb tunes they played as far back as 1960.
    Condolances to his family.
    Teddy Pinheiro.

• To the Waddell family, Commiserations on your beloved loss on behalf of Power Stars Steel Orchestra.

Respectfully

• "Splav" you will indeed be missed. David Waddle, my dad and uncles shared good times in Starlift and like them, Splav never missed the opportunity for a good laugh and I loved his sense of humour. His hearty laugh and smile will remain indelibly printed in my memory. Rest in peace my friend.

• On behalf of St. James Tripolians, I wish to offer condolences to the family of "Splav". He was one of the best of the west. May he rest in Peace. 

• My condolences to Splav's family. I had the pleasure of learning a lot for him working under him in Starlift. (he had a three strokes rule. Certain guys would know about that. Lol)

• I am lost for words,I feel so proud reading all the good things that people have to say abouth Splav,I have known Splay since 1964 and we always get along very good.He was always a happy guy.I would like to send my condolences to his family and may he rest in peace

This reply was deleted.