When the semi-finalists for the annual competition were revealed last night, the singer’s name was conspicuously absent.

When contacted, Garcia said she did not enter.

She said she was tired of the stress of the competition and wants to focus on developing her Queen of Bacchanal brand, among other things.

“Every year I have entered Soca Monarch it was to try and cop the title but I realised some of my happiest years in terms of enjoying the Carnival was in the six years I did not enter,” she said.

“I re-entered after I had Xai because the fans wanted me to but in the past couple years it has been really stressful planning a performance and on the night something always seem to go wrong. I am of the realisation now that I am not a competition artiste, I don’t do my best, I always get nervous, I freeze up.”

read more

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I love that photo.

• Destra you have made me very proud for the many years of great music that you have given to T&T and the whole World, as they say the longest rope has it's end. You have made History in our Art Form, and may I add long life to the Soca Monarch Queen of our time. Stress WILL KILL YOU sooner or later. What ever you now decides to do with your life, put God first always you'll never go wrong.

Peace and Love 

• amen . as an up and coming soca artiste; Destra has and will always be one of my inspirations. stay true to the music.. The competition doesn't define you; the ability to create and entertain and amaze your fans does. #Salute
This reply was deleted.