I understand that two of the judges are from Tobago. Also how is it possible for a band to get a lower score in the semi finals based on the critique each band gets in the prelims.This is the talk in the NY pan circles.      

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yuh mad or what? you really think any trini could concentrate for dat long?

HaHa

#Igot_to_party

• Peter, I know the reason(s) for it but I don't agree with it.

• To put some TRUMPISM into the discussion, who ever wins is because the judging is RIGGED.

Blakie - Tribute To San Fernando

• Wishing all the best in de rama...1109788333?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Cecil the paying public and pan players are entitled to know that all bands are judged fairly especially where we have been seeing complete dominance of a one region/zone for the past thirty years in the large band category. It has gotten to the point that pan players have migrated to that region/zone because everyone want's to be playing for winning bands.   

• Arthur: You and merrytonestothebone hung up on this FAIRNESS BUSINESS -- ah think allyuh does go to church and listen to the priest too much!!!

The politics dictate that NORTH bands win!!! And who want to argue against that I will tell them: JUST LOOK AT THE HISTORICAL RESULTS!!!

JUST THE FACTS!!!

• Claude here is Facts - no Fake News Allowed ..your
        Your boys won a championship with the league's MVP. The following year King James kicked your butt. What did you and boys do? You went out and got a another MVP. Now you have two on your team. You did not sit pack and beg.
        If South bands want a win they have to change something. Why do they think what didn't work in the 80's and 90' and 2000's will work today?
        How is it that New York and Tobago could see the talent of Leon "Foster" Thomas but not the South bands?

Just the facts Claude.

bugs

• ...I like the way you "put" it Claude...I am "hung up on Fairness"...thank you...

• You can play worse in the semis than you did in the prelims. You also had bands in previous years scoring high in the semis and did not execute as well in the finals and came lower. Three judges were used in the prelims and two were added for the semi finals. With three you got one total from them and with five, when you drop the highest and the lowest you can end up with a total from the remaining three with less than your preliminary score.

I am not for dropping any highest and lowest. If you have five judges (which you don't need) then score out of five hundred or out of three hundred with three judges.

• Gerard:

The reason behind dropping the highest and the lowest of the five marks is that it tends to mitigate, if not remove personal bias and distortion, hopefully precluding statistical anomalies and/or incongruities.

This is not unique to Panorama.  We see that done in several Olympic events.

Anyway, one person whom I believe can adequately substantiate or refute the above and furnish a more detailed and complete explanation is Mr. Franklyn.

Albeit I know he is a respected author, I think of him as “The Stats Man.”

This reply was deleted.