Replies

• Renegades BIG 5 Concert - Tribute to Dr. Jit Samaroo Project 9

• In remembrance of the genius Dr. Jit Samaroo. Jit came to Cordettes in 1987 on the advice, and with the blessings of the late Paul Campbell who was the band's arranger form its inception as "Cordettes" in1962. Cordettes enjoyed limited success at the Steelband Musical Festival in the mid to late sixties, with a unique sound produced by the hammer of Joseph "Pox" Roseman, was a fixture at the Trinidad Hilton until the late seventies, and until 1983, was the band of choice at The Chinese Association in St Anns from carnival Thursday night (when the band split in two playing simultaneously at the Trinidad Hilton on that night), right through to carnival Sunday Night, then on to the road for J'ouvert, and The Bomb Competition at City Hall.

After Jit's first year with the band in 1987 playing De Fosto's Rambo, having never made it past the zonal finals on the Friday Night after the conclusion of the preliminary rounds, Jit was able to take the band to the National finals of Panorama consistently from 1988, winning the east zone title in 1990

Jit's own compositions (lyrics by Michael Marcano), played at the National Panorama finals by Cordettes sponsored by The National Quarries Company Limited.

1. 1991 - Gaping Season
    2. 1992 - Panman Vibrations
    3. 1993 - Miss Supporter

May he rest peacefully, eternally.

• Great info and living history Mr. Providence

• Those are some classics right there. Rare for an arranger to have such a longstanding chemistry with one band much less two. Jit's style with Cordettes was different than with Renegades though no less sophisticated or consistent. 

• Dr.Jit Sukha Samaroo Cultural Icon

• Added to the legacy of the late, Dr. Jit Samaroo: (a) The only arranger to dominate panorama in two consecutive decades, 1980's and 1990's (b) First win by a double digit margin, 17.5 (c) Only arranger to qualify for 29 consecutive finals (d) The first to place in top-three 15 times (e) Has the highest winning percentage from 1982 through 1997 with 9 wins in those16 attempts. 

• I read with sadness the death of Dr. Jit Samaroo.  For the past fifteen years at the St. Jamestowm Youth Centre we chose and played Jit's compositions every year at Toronto Pan Alive.  Last year we played Guitar Pan which Renegades won at the Trinidad and Tobago Panorama some years ago.  Our children and youth in our Steel Orchestra enjoy playing Jit's music.  Now we are also playing Amrit's music, so that should tell people how much Jit's music is appreciated, and although the children and youth in the orchestra sometimes have difficulty learning his counter melodies, they enjoy playing his music.

On behalf of the Canadian Federation of Steel Pan and the St. Jamestown Youth Centre Steel Orchestra, I offer my condolences to the Samaroo family,  Jit and his family are remembered in my daily prayers.  May he rest in peace.

Ken Bhagan

Chairperson of the Canadian Federation of Steel Pan

• What a very sad loss to the global steelband fraternity and to the steelband culture. Jit is truly a musical icon of our land, his music spoke volumes and his modesty was always evident.  Meeting this great musical arranger in the Renegades panyard for the first time will stay with me forever. The late Ralph Macdonald and myself were doing the pan yard rounds before panorama and Jit welcome us with such warmth. A truly lovely person. You will be sadly missed and thanks for your mystical music that will see your legacy live on. RIP My Brother!!

• Michael Marcano, your very descriptive and welcome remarks are truly appreciated. Dr  Jit would always be remembered as his work and mentees will keep his spirit alive.

• The first time I was introduced to Dr. Samaroo's music. I was in a car heading to a panorama rehearsal. Prior to playing pan I always had an affinity to Bach's counterpoint. Then I met Jit's work with Renegades and almost abandoned Euro-music studies.

"Pan in a rage" stuck with me so much that I learned it by ear (much to the annoyance of my parents at the time to have a 15yr old play a CD track 30 times a day). Repetition withstanding, eventually arranged my own version l and used thst arrangement to win a scholarship to Florida Memorial University.

I've long missed the agile arrangement of this genius but I am confident that Amrit will dig just as deeply into the legacy of the "Samaroo music".

I owe a large part of my current arranging ability to Dr. Samaroo. Thank you
This reply was deleted.