Dr. Pat Bishop of Trinidad and Tobago has passed

When Steel Talks extends condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of the great Dr. Pat Bishop.  She was a true champion of the steelpan instrument, its music and of culture in general.  Dr. Bishop passed away on Saturday August 20 after collapsing at a high-level meeting of her peers in Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, convened with the aim of furthering the country’s culture.

Many are sharing their thoughts, memories and knowledge of this irreplaceable individual and historic cultural activist in the realm of the steelband art form, and overall culture of Trinidad and Tobago.

Take the opportunity to leave words of your own, and consider and draw from those of others - all in the When Steel Talks Network forum.

click for WST exclusive by Pat Bishop

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• On behalf of the Desperadoes Steel Orchestra I wish to extend condolences to Gillian and the rest of the family on the passing of our mother as she wanted to be known by us Dr.Pat Bishop.Words cannot express how I and I am sure the other members who won three consecutive pan festivals with her feel.She is going to be sorely missed by us and all who crossed her path.Rest in Peace mummy and may GOD be with you.
  • Dr. Pat Bishop,

You have left to take your place in conducting that glorious orchestra up there in the great beyond! Go, do well and know that you'll be greatly missed here on earth. Condolescences go out to the family & friends to a great icon...

• Rest in Peace Miss Bishop.You will not be forgotten.

• Tropical Steel Orchestra of Barbados expresses deepest condolences to the family of Dr Pat Bishop, which includes the wider community of Trinidad and Tobago.  Undoubtedly she will be missed by all who benefitted in any way from her tremendous talent.  May she rest in peace.

• My condolences goes out to the family, friends, musicians,panists, artists, Trinidad &Tobago and colleagues of Dr. Pat Bishop. I had the opportunity of working with her as the pan tuner for the Lydian Steel. May her soul rest in peace
  • I grow up hearing about Dr. Pat Bishop either from my Dad or from some member of my family, I had never met her but I knew a lot about her. My sympathies go out to her sister Gillian and every member of the Steel Pans she conducted. Now you and Asquith is sure making some good music, R.I.P Pat!!!!! 
  • Can any of us imagine where pan, pan music and things cultural would have been without the intervention of Pat Bishop? Now, try to imagine where pan, pan music and local culture could have been if her voice was listened to seriously and her ideas acted upon by the powers-that-be over the last fifty years.

Thank you, Dr. Bishop, for your interventions. Your did in life what you had to do. You were not confused by choice. Your determination to do what had to be done was expressed by a clarity of purpose and action.

Your memory is a gift to many. You have inspired many who will keep your flame of determination lit. May you rest in peace.

• I trust CNC3 would re run this morning's discussion with Peter Minshall and Rubradiri Victor--extremely poignantly expressive of the spirit of Dr. Pat Bishop.  Pat, truly did her thing and did it well for our country. She knew how to work and worked well. She felt she had no more patience. Pity she had to take the administrative "blows"; she should have been put in a think gallery and just provide the ideas she had, do her painting, arranging, and artistic things, but never push pen and sit behind desk and go to meetings! She said she wanted to die in serenity--I wonder why she chose to go to that meeting?

She will rest in Peace, because she did make her mark admirably. Millions of thanks, muchas gracias, Pat.

• The passing of this icon of our culture fills me, as with all Trinbagonians, with real grief. Pat bishop brought a renaissance of sorts, to arts and culture in our great Republic, her contributions are legendary and she will be sorely missed.

May the angels dance to your refreshing brand of music and may you rest peacefully. Gone too soon.
  • As a member of the Barbados All Stars Steel Orchestra I just want to say that Pat will be missed by many...I wish to extend my condolences to the family such a great person...R.I.P. Pat.............Toffee

This reply was deleted.