Earl Rodney, master arranger

Driving in snowy New England, I'm listening to Solo Harmonites albom "The Wrecker" (1968) , still sounding good after all these years.

I'm thinking , that Earl Rodney is one heck of an arranger.Won't it be great if he was able to take one more crack at the big prize?

I'd love to hear what he would do with a modern Panorama arrangement.

Anyway, much respect, Mr Earl Rodney..

(BTW, the panmen were prettty good too, back then)

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Like you fellas forgot a have a panman/ arranger/ composer named. Sir Anthony Williams who started the format of our present day Panorama. In the early sixties Pan Am North Stars were untouchable. 'Lest we forget'. Pan Am North Stars and Anthony Williams Participated in three Panoramas, Winning the first two and placing second in the third. They were as Clive Bradley was 'Ahead of their time.
  • EARL RODNEY THE GRAND MASTER OF STEELPAN ARRANGERS.

• If Earl Rodney is the grand master who is Ray Holman?
  • Hi Glenroy, I played under Earl Rodney in those early days and must indeed say that he was certainly one of the best (if not the very best ) of the period 1967 - 1974. I am still dying to hear "Play Mas"  1971 live from the savannah, a part of which is posted on youtube. Is there any reason why the entire song was not posted? I would be happy to hear the whole song, whether there are defects in the recording or not. If you know about this please email me at  pbf8009@hotmail.com.

Thanking you for a speedy reply,

Carl Caton    (played with Solo Harmonites from 1968 to 1986. (Co-arranged for the band in conjunction with Kenneth Brown in the last two years.)

• If I eh post it I eh have it!
  • Remember "jericho" [Solo Harmonites] in 1974?

Peter

• Please! Dont forget, one of Black Stalin's greatess hit was arranged by Earl Rodney, "Play One" I also played with Harmonites in the 1970's with Joseph Renault as capitan and Grand Master Earl Rodney arranger composer and visionary.There are many many musicians both steelpan players and otherwise that are inspired by his musical movements. For those that understands the evolution of  the "Panorama Tune" Earl Rodney completely changed and set a standard that is followed even today, Latin beat, Sudden Stops, improvisations, jam parts are the structure that others followed. I love Ray Hollman, Boogsie Sharpe, Robbie, Bobby Mohammed  and all the many contributors to the Steel Pan. I am 0giving credit to a leader,a mentor and great inspiration to any person that fell within his musical sphere of Inspiration.   
      • You're right, Hameed Shaqq, people may have forgotten, or may be too young to remember but there were three arrangers who set the musical direction of Panorama in the early days and their impact is felt to this day.

There was Beverly Griffith -His jazzy arrangement of Sparrow's " Melda" had panmen all over the island talking about Desperadoes in '66.

Lennox "Bobby" Mohammed- though he first won in ,65, it was '66 (Kitch's "My Brother your sister", going down the drag in the rain) and Kitch's '67 in '67 that frightened all them "town bands" . Admit it guys, you all were scared of Guinness Cavaliers.

And then there was Earl Rodney and Solo Harmonites. No one who was there could ever forget "The Wrecker" going down the drag with the whole Savannah chanting "Solo, Solo".

And Harmonites again in 69 with Sparrows "Bongo". Folks, You just had to be there.

So we could argue about who is the best and whatnot, but these guys set the Panorama table.
  • I agree Earl Rodney will always be one of the best
  • As we move forward we must listen to these young arrangers that are out there, my hats off to all of them. The older arrangers may not want to face this fact; nothing last forever.  They have made their mark with our pan music and has also set an example for the youths to follow. Earl Rodney had his days and made very good at it, Mr. Popwell has proven he can hold his own so let's give the man his due with Solo Harmonites in 2011. My best wishes to all arrangers seeking " THAT TOP SPOT " in Panorama 2011.

This reply was deleted.