Final thoughts on PANORAMA 2019

The most melodic song in the PANORAMA is IRON LOVE. So if ZANDA does things right, he should be able to WIN THE PANORAMA. And, the song being about iron, any kind of CREATIVE BREAK DOWN a couple times in the arrangement could deliver the GRAND PRIZE. But I don't expect DESPERADOES to reach the MUSICAL HEIGHTS that this song offers.

RENEGADES will WIN with an OVER-ARRANGED version of HOOKIN MEH. I will not be impressed because I despise this trademark approach that DUVONE has brought to the game. But PAN LOVERS (local and foreign) fall hard for that kind of stuff.

ALL STARS: Their time has come and gone. Until they get a YOUNG NEW ARRANGER -- they WIIL NOT WIN with their SAME OLE STUFF.

PHASE II: NO CHANCE OF WINNING!!! There is only ONE WAY that BOOGSIE could win another PANORAMA -- but I cannot get into that on this posting.

Now, for my BIG DISAPPOINTMENT: SKIFFLE. They made two STRATEGIC errors!!! That crawl through the song in the YARD PERFORMANCE was a dagger in the heart right at the start. And the tune of choice was the end of the WAPPOI. Going head to head with DUVONE was the only way to beat him. It would have given the judges a chance to hear a calypso played in  calypso at Carnival Time instead of some attempted classical version of a Calypso.

And then there is EXODUS. There is nothing that EXODUS can do to win a PANORAMA until they get a YOUNG NEW ARRANGER. It is true that RAG STORM was a WRONG CHOICE, but SAVANNAH GRASS is not going to be their salvation. By the way, when last did EXODUS win a PANORAMA?

INVADERS will provide ENTERTAINMENT but they are NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO WIN.

The rest of the BANDS have ZERO CHANCE of WINNING. And for that reason PAN TRINBAGO should change the PANORAMA FINALS to 5 LARGE and 5 MEDIUM BANDS and provide some HIGH LEVEL entertainment -- to compliment the STEELBAND PERFORMANCES -- that might win some MORE GLOBAL VIEWERS.

You need to be a member of When Steel Talks to add comments!

Join When Steel Talks

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Over arranged Claude? How can that be.?

When someone sketches a portrait he first draws the outline with minor details for the viewer to recognise what is being sketched. That was the Prelims.

Then comes  the more defined lines with apt darkening of the colours to emphasise the artist's perspective of his work. That was the Semis.

Then comes the delicate shading  that clearly makes a difference which especially brings out contrast and depth; added to that is a splash of vibrancy to fully capture the artist's statement. That was the Finals.

Bear in mind, a slight adjustment at the entrance and the inclusion of the "wedding (or winning) march" were the only two changes I clearly recall. Where's the over arrangement.?

If you want an "overly" output check Silver Stars with dexterity on steroids!

• Mr. A.L. Nunes: I totally appreciate your detailed explanation of the arrangement and its development. As a matter of fact, I think that it should be a STAND ALONE topic with even further extrapolation from YOU and DUVONE. It could greatly benefit THOUSANDS of PAN LOVERS -- the world over.

But I just happen to see myself as coming from a CALYPSO PLACE!!!

And please tell DUVONE STEWART that at the HEIGHTS OF HIS SUCCESS -- if he can find a little space for my friend MERRYTONESTOTHEBONE in the ARRANGEMENT BUSINESS -- to please help out the man, nah.

I like civil discussion and I can read that coming off the screen from your postings!!!

MUCH RESPECT and CONGRATULATIONS ON THE WIN!!!

• A.L. Nunes...How dare you criticise the Gospel According To Claude...That's blasphemy!!...

• LOL well I be damned!

• Nice some up Mr. Claud

• I am wondering exactly what is a "YOUNG NEW ARRANGER", is it the actual age of the arranger him/herself or the mind, mentality and style of the individual? Duvonne did say last year is "we time now" so should all arrangers over what age should stop arranging?  Who is and where are the "WE". While change is welcome respect is due to all those who contribute to the artform. If all "old people" in general cease to exisit what example would young people follow. With the advent of the E Pan life is made easier for the young new arranger who can afford the technology. This technology can also be used by old arrangers so where does that leave us. The ordinary man in the street just want to hear sweet pan, most of us do not know or even care about these thought provoking issues. Respect all!

• I strongly believe Phase II will win the 2019 panorama competition, based on their last performance.

• The grass in the Savannah will be trampled after Renegades put dong their 8 minutes tonight. Guaranteed.  The Savannah is gonna bawl. There is no 'padding' in the gentleman's arrangement. It is not overly-arranged, Claude.  It is musically arranged.  Prepare thyself for a musical sojourn tonight.  Take nothing for your journey - no walking stick, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money, not even two tunics. But a cooler with ice and a bottle of your favourite 12-year old single malt.  ~Delight 9:3

Party immediately following at 138 Charlotte street. 

• The PM is reported to have said Invaders and Renegades should tie for first so the results are in. 

• Based on what you stated was reported and what the official results confirmed, can one say the honourable gentleman got it half right?  Full congratulations to Renegades, and to Duvone on his outstanding 2019 accomplishment — three outta three!  

Thanks for the music and the sweet pan, Mr Stuart.

This reply was deleted.